FDA bans gay men from sperm donation

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr Rock, May 5, 2005.

1. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    "Under these rules, a heterosexual man who had unprotected sex with HIV-positive prostitutes would be OK as a donor one year later, but a gay man in a monogamous, safe-sex relationship is not OK unless he's been celibate for five years."

go read about the latest retarded "poke-in-the-eye" legislation from those fun-loving jokers in DC!

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I don't agree with this. The fact remains that anal sex (male/male, male/female) has a much higher transmission rate for HIV for the receiving person than vaginal sex (anal walls wear, vaginal walls do not). The odds ARE much higher that someone who has had male/male sex would possibly have been exposed to HIV.

Details rana very good article on the subject called What Ever Happened to Straight Men and AIDS.

3. yaoifun

yaoifun New Member

That's retarded! *chalks up another point on the shortsighted bias and prejudice board* *sigh* what else is new? Pretty soon hes gonna tell us gay people can hold government jobs, have to be registered as gay, and it must be on their license >.> whatever

4. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, but many of the "men who have sex with men" are married. It's all keeping with "traditional values", namely total hypocrisy.

But yes, anal is more dangerous. At the same time, no, anal isn't just a gay activity, and no, not all gay men engage in anal.

They still haven't explained African AIDS, where women have it more than men.

At the same time, I'll poiint out that they said in the early 90s that Indians would have higher seroprevalence rates than whites in a decade. It's 2005 and still not true.

Also, the "Alive and Well" site also claims HIV doesn't cause AIDS:

http://www.aliveandwell.org/html/if_its_not/ifitsnothiv.html

5. jonb

Gold Member

Well, gays can't be Arabic translators.

6. Bananaman

Bananaman New Member

Hmmm--

And the radical right calls the radical muslims terrorists!
    A radical is a radical is a radical........
    I say if the shoe fits, wear it!
    If I say any more, I'm gonna rant, so I'll STFU now.

B-man

7. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I don't think that's really the point though, is it? statistically speaking, straight men are much more like to commit domestic violence than gay men, but we don't ban them from living with women. why not? because you can't condemn every single individual on the basis of a statistic. similarly, banning men who engage in gay sex from donating sperm isn't fixing, or even addressing, the problem of sperm bank stocks being contaminated.

8. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    That is the most disgusting article I've read in a long time. This government is starting to fuckin disgust me :(

9. KinkGuy

Gold Member

If it took this long, you really are waaaaay laid back, aren't you? And we love you for it!!!!!!!!!

10. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    If it took this long, you really are waaaaay laid back, aren't you? And we love you for it!!!!!!!!!
    [post=308398]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Yah, I am totally laid back. And I also try to have faith in humanity. Though I'm totally disgusted by it, I'm not gonna let our government take away the fact that I have faith in people from me!

11. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

I have not read this article. But someone tell me. How do you have a "fag test" to tell before someone donates?

You can blame Bush and company all you want. But ultimately, the American people are at fault. They put this dickwad back into office, so we'll see more of this shit for 3.5 more years.

12. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

This was announced about a year ago. But I'm still not happy about it.

"The part I find most offensive -- and a little frightening -- is that it isn't based on good science," Cathcart said. "There's a steadily increasing trend of heterosexual transmission of HIV, and yet the FDA still has this notion that you protect people by putting gay men out of the pool."

And that's been the case for a hell of a long time. Haven't the past 20 years taught anyone anything?

What's next? Banning all sperm donations unless you've been in a monogamous relationship for 5 years? How many married/committed men donate sperm these days? I'm sure it's a very small percentage. Next thing you know...we'll have a sperm shortage.

13. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

Except on this board. ;)

14. blackwood

blackwood New Member

The MAIN point, 51% of the voters, my GOD! Not even reasonable! Are/Were behind the current madness.

Even with the border violence, Lake Chapalla Mexico sure looks like a great destination, at least to get away from the bias.

blackwood,,,

15. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Apparently they can. I know two gay Arabic translators at the UN.

16. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Since when does married/committed = monogamous? Sorry ... that's the jaded me posting.

17. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Fine, just fine!!!!!!! From now on I'll just keep my sperm to myself....no, wait.....oh crap, never mind.

18. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Doc--I said I didn't agree. The statisitics, are, unfortunately, one of the things they use to base their decisions. Just as they still ban you from donating blood if you have gotten a tatto in the past year--due mostly b/c of statistically higher incidences of bloodborne pathogens. I was just trying to add a little context to the rational behind the movement. Unfortunately, most of the country believes that all gay men engage in anal sex and are pedophiles. Sad, but true.

19. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

Since when does married/committed = monogamous? Sorry ... that's the jaded me posting.
    [post=308440]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Actually, that's a very good point. I stand corrected.

*sniffs and runs away* DMW doesn't like me.

20. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

NO WAY!

Anyway, I wouldn't donate. Although being paid for wanking would be fun.

It's amazing how "backwards" your country is sometime though. I mean, us "yuropeans" are looked down on in social issues, but isn't equal opportunity a right?

I mean, under our government, you can even declare whether your permantly living with a homosexual partner.

Draft saved Draft deleted