FDA bans gay men from sperm donation

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
"Under these rules, a heterosexual man who had unprotected sex with HIV-positive prostitutes would be OK as a donor one year later, but a gay man in a monogamous, safe-sex relationship is not OK unless he's been celibate for five years."

go read about the latest retarded "poke-in-the-eye" legislation from those fun-loving jokers in DC!

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't agree with this. The fact remains that anal sex (male/male, male/female) has a much higher transmission rate for HIV for the receiving person than vaginal sex (anal walls wear, vaginal walls do not). The odds ARE much higher that someone who has had male/male sex would possibly have been exposed to HIV.

Details rana very good article on the subject called What Ever Happened to Straight Men and AIDS.

Health officials have known these things for years. A growing pile of federally funded reports on HIV transmission, published over the past decade and available to anyone who has the time to read them, shows that men almost never get HIV from women. In fact, according to a 1998 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association, a disease-free man who has an unprotected one-nighter with a drug-free woman stands a one in 5 million chance of getting HIV. If he wears a condom, it’s one in 50 million. He’s more likely to be struck by lightning (one in 7000,000).

Female to male transmission is very inefficient, says Dr. Nancy Padian a professor in the department of obstetrics, gynecology and reproductive science at the University of California, San Francisco and the author of a 1996 10 year study of HIV infected heterosexual couples, the nation's longest and largest. She points out that “its two to three times easier for men to infect women.” But even so, if there are no other risk factors involved, the rate at which an infected man will transmit the virus to a woman is one in 1,100 sex acts.

Straight men are still haunted by the notion that old-fashioned sex can be lethal. Among the biggest fear factors, some AIDS educators say, is shoddy federal health data. The CDC statistics are only good as the local health departments that gather them. But many of those departments don’t have time or resources for “surveillance” staff to investigate every person’s claim of how they contracted the virus. If a man wants to lie about having had sex with other men, he can, and that makes it look like more people get AIDS from straight sex than really do. By re-interviewing victims, their doctors, and their families, Chicagohealth officials found in 1997 that in 85% of the cases the city had blamed on heterosexual transmission, other risk factors were present. This phenomenon became a source of black humor at New York City’s overworked health department in the late eighties. “What do you call a man who got HIV from his girlfriend?” the joke went. “A liar.”

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
That's retarded! *chalks up another point on the shortsighted bias and prejudice board* *sigh* what else is new? Pretty soon hes gonna tell us gay people can hold government jobs, have to be registered as gay, and it must be on their license >.> whatever

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, but many of the "men who have sex with men" are married. It's all keeping with "traditional values", namely total hypocrisy.

But yes, anal is more dangerous. At the same time, no, anal isn't just a gay activity, and no, not all gay men engage in anal.

They still haven't explained African AIDS, where women have it more than men.

At the same time, I'll poiint out that they said in the early 90s that Indians would have higher seroprevalence rates than whites in a decade. It's 2005 and still not true.

Also, the "Alive and Well" site also claims HIV doesn't cause AIDS:

http://www.aliveandwell.org/html/if_its_not/ifitsnothiv.html

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by yaoifun@May 5 2005, 03:15 PM
That's retarded! *chalks up another point on the shortsighted bias and prejudice board* *sigh* what else is new? Pretty soon hes gonna tell us gay people can hold government jobs, have to be registered as gay, and it must be on their license >.> whatever
[post=308381]Quoted post[/post]​
Well, gays can't be Arabic translators.

Bananaman

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hmmm--

And the radical right calls the radical muslims terrorists!
A radical is a radical is a radical........
I say if the shoe fits, wear it!
If I say any more, I'm gonna rant, so I'll STFU now.

B-man

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by Lex@May 5 2005, 09:57 PM
I don't agree with this. The fact remains that anal sex (male/male, male/female) has a much higher transmission rate for HIV for the receiving person than vaginal sex (anal walls wear, vaginal walls do not). The odds ARE much higher that someone who has had male/male sex would possibly have been exposed to HIV.
[post=308372]Quoted post[/post]​
I don't think that's really the point though, is it? statistically speaking, straight men are much more like to commit domestic violence than gay men, but we don't ban them from living with women. why not? because you can't condemn every single individual on the basis of a statistic. similarly, banning men who engage in gay sex from donating sperm isn't fixing, or even addressing, the problem of sperm bank stocks being contaminated.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by surferboy@May 5 2005, 06:29 PM
This government is starting to fuckin disgust me :(
[post=308396]Quoted post[/post]​

If it took this long, you really are waaaaay laid back, aren't you? And we love you for it!!!!!!!!!

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by KinkGuy+May 5 2005, 08:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinkGuy &#064; May 5 2005, 08:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-surferboy@May 5 2005, 06:29 PM
This government is starting to fuckin disgust me :(
[post=308396]Quoted post[/post]​

If it took this long, you really are waaaaay laid back, aren&#39;t you? And we love you for it&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
[post=308398]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Yah, I am totally laid back. And I also try to have faith in humanity. Though I&#39;m totally disgusted by it, I&#39;m not gonna let our government take away the fact that I have faith in people from me&#33;

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have not read this article. But someone tell me. How do you have a "fag test" to tell before someone donates?

You can blame Bush and company all you want. But ultimately, the American people are at fault. They put this dickwad back into office, so we&#39;ll see more of this shit for 3.5 more years.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This was announced about a year ago. But I&#39;m still not happy about it.

"The part I find most offensive -- and a little frightening -- is that it isn&#39;t based on good science," Cathcart said. "There&#39;s a steadily increasing trend of heterosexual transmission of HIV, and yet the FDA still has this notion that you protect people by putting gay men out of the pool."

And that&#39;s been the case for a hell of a long time. Haven&#39;t the past 20 years taught anyone anything?

What&#39;s next? Banning all sperm donations unless you&#39;ve been in a monogamous relationship for 5 years? How many married/committed men donate sperm these days? I&#39;m sure it&#39;s a very small percentage. Next thing you know...we&#39;ll have a sperm shortage.

blackwood

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by dcwrestlefan@May 6 2005, 01:21 AM
I have not read this article. But someone tell me. How do you have a "fag test" to tell before someone donates?

You can blame Bush and company all you want. But ultimately, the American people are at fault. They put this dickwad back into office, so we&#39;ll see more of this shit for 3.5 more years.
[post=308409]Quoted post[/post]​

The MAIN point, 51% of the voters, my GOD&#33; Not even reasonable&#33; Are/Were behind the current madness.

Even with the border violence, Lake Chapalla Mexico sure looks like a great destination, at least to get away from the bias.

blackwood,,,

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@May 6 2005, 01:33 AM
What&#39;s next? Banning all sperm donations unless you&#39;ve been in a monogamous relationship for 5 years? How many married/committed men donate sperm these days?

Since when does married/committed = monogamous? Sorry ... that&#39;s the jaded me posting.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Fine, just fine&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; From now on I&#39;ll just keep my sperm to myself....no, wait.....oh crap, never mind.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by Dr Rock@May 5 2005, 07:46 PM
I don&#39;t think that&#39;s really the point though, is it? statistically speaking, straight men are much more like to commit domestic violence than gay men, but we don&#39;t ban them from living with women. why not? because you can&#39;t condemn every single individual on the basis of a statistic. similarly, banning men who engage in gay sex from donating sperm isn&#39;t fixing, or even addressing, the problem of sperm bank stocks being contaminated.
[post=308388]Quoted post[/post]​

Doc--I said I didn&#39;t agree. The statisitics, are, unfortunately, one of the things they use to base their decisions. Just as they still ban you from donating blood if you have gotten a tatto in the past year--due mostly b/c of statistically higher incidences of bloodborne pathogens. I was just trying to add a little context to the rational behind the movement. Unfortunately, most of the country believes that all gay men engage in anal sex and are pedophiles. Sad, but true.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+May 5 2005, 10:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; May 5 2005, 10:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TexAssgirl@May 6 2005, 01:33 AM
What&#39;s next?  Banning all sperm donations unless you&#39;ve been in a monogamous relationship for 5 years?  How many married/committed men donate sperm these days? 

Since when does married/committed = monogamous? Sorry ... that&#39;s the jaded me posting.
[post=308440]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Actually, that&#39;s a very good point. I stand corrected.

*sniffs and runs away* DMW doesn&#39;t like me.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
NO WAY&#33;

Anyway, I wouldn&#39;t donate. Although being paid for wanking would be fun.

It&#39;s amazing how "backwards" your country is sometime though. I mean, us "yuropeans" are looked down on in social issues, but isn&#39;t equal opportunity a right?

I mean, under our government, you can even declare whether your permantly living with a homosexual partner.