Fed cuts key interest rates by 75 basis points

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thats it boys and girls, we are in a recession. Offically we cannot call it that until we have two continous quarters of negative growth, but we are there.

The fact that the FED made such a drastic cut (their biggest cut in 24 years) and that also at an emergency meeting ahead of their regular meeting scheduled for next week is telling how shit scared they must be right now. Everyone is betting on a further 50 basis point cut next week again. A 1.25 percent cut within 10 days is almost unprecedented.

Batten down the hatches it is going to be a rough ride!

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What does that make the official interest rate now?

Pretty damned low, but not as low as it has been earlier (late 02 - early 03). I bought my house in 2003 with a 4.25% fixed rate on a 30-year mortgage. Granted, home loans are usually indexed to bond rates, not the prime rate, but still...anyone (are you paying attention, GWB?) would be a moron not to understand that we're presently in the midst of a recession.

eaglespga88

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
we might be heading towards a recession...but we are not there yet. In a few more months you can call it a "recession" right now it is just an economic dip.

recession
noun1. the state of the economy declines; a widespread decline in the GDP and employment and trade lasting from six months to a year
I agree it probably WILL be a recession..I dont see how to turn this around quick..BUT it is not one YET.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The writing on the wall tells me that we're fucked. I was saying months ago that the economy was tanking, like way early in the summer, and no one seemed to notice. I wish I was wrong.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
YAYY I say!!! share prices are dropping like a stone...what a wonderful time to be liquid..what a wonderful time to buy all those lovely shares in good companies I've thought where over priced and make my portfolio nice and fat...I'll come out of this very well.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
YAYY I say!!! share prices are dropping like a stone...what a wonderful time to be liquid..what a wonderful time to buy all those lovely shares in good companies I've thought where over priced and make my portfolio nice and fat...I'll come out of this very well.

Market drops are not nice for fund managers who have a duty to make regular cash distributions to retirees and other beneficiaries who exist on limited income. In the US an ever increasing number of retirees can no longer participate in defined-benefit company pension plans. Instead, their retirement security is hitched to the performance of investments in the stock and bond markets.