Feel awkward about my tattoo

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Dave NoCal, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I usually don't ask for anything and just try to be helpful. But now I am.

Straight to the point, I have a tattoo on my ass. LIke many tattoos, it seemed like a good idea at the time. It was ten years ago and they were less acceptable than today. Back then I lived on the coast of Florida and that was a fairly common spot for guys who are professional to have it placed. The lifestyle is so water oriented that it was about the only spot you could have one, go to a work-related pool party and no one would need to know. Similarly, you could easily encounter ANYONE on the beach so having it under the swimsuit kept it out of sight. Anyway, in a busy night at my gym, it was common for as many as five of the guys in the lockeroom to have a single ass tattos. It was not unusaul at all.

Now I live in a fairly small city with a University that is located in a generally rural area. In almost six years of going to my gym, I've seen two other guys with a spot tattoo on their asses and maybe two or three more with backpieces that extend down over one or both cheeks. To further complicate matters, at least in my mind, being a small town I encounter both colleagues and students in the locker room. They don't seem bothered at all and generally want to talk. Only a few guys have said anything about it and the questions weren't hostile. Generally the questions have been "Did it hurt?" to which I replied "At the time." (shrug) or "Why there?" to which I respond "It was the one place I knew my mother wouldn't see it." I have no problem at all being naked. I like it a lot, in fact, but the tattoo causes me to feel awkward. Not because I have a tatoo, EVERYONE here does, but because it's on my ass. Unfortunately, it has a lot of green in it and removal has a poor likelihood of being successful without a lot of visible skin damage.

The choices I think I have are:
    1. Try to get over it by reminding myself of others who have one such as Lenny Kravitz & Matt LeBlanc.
    2. Don't change or shower at the gym (no way).
    3. Try to learn to like it.
    4. Get at least one more in a conventional location to distract attention.
    5. Tough it out

I actually want another one, a Japanese style phoenix on my left shoulder, marking having had a good recovery from to potentially fatal health situations. My partner likes the tattoo but doesn't really want me to get another.

Do any of you guys or girls have comments on whether feeling awkward is reasonable and/or any recommendations.

Dave

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Getting a tattoo somewhere else won't distract attention. People are drawn to tattoos regardless of where they are. I have eight of them. :smile: I would suggest you try to learn to like it. What's not to like? I have a new one on my forearm, and people are always asking me about it. Hehe. Get another though! They're sexy. :tongue:

3. D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher

D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher Account Disabled

I feel bad for you OP that you are feeling this way. I don't regret my tats. I actually wish the one was much larger. Mine aren't visible during day to day activities. So, do we get to see the pic of this tat on your ass? I don't think I've seen a guy with a tat on his ass. I find people with tats very attractive.

4. Gonzo3

Gold Member

Albums:
    You seem to have mentioned all the options there is only one thing to do.....................learn to love it......... after all it is and has been part of you for some time and you cant see it ,tattoos are so erotic,to see on a bod, :wink:

5. Primal_Savage

Primal_Savage New Member

Albums:
    If you like it, that's the only thing that matters. I have a tat of 2 cherries (one partially eaten) on my left cheek. No regrets. As I work in a gym and workout at another, I couldn't begin to count the # of guys that have seen my ass. A few have been curious and asked if it has a special meaning. Tho it does, I generally avoid explaining what it means.

6. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hi Dave: It depends on the subject matter of the tatoo. Is it something offensive? If not, I think that the best action is to take no action. Let it be for a while and think about it before you get another tatoo.

7. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Maybe if we saw it, we could give better opinions. :wink:

But seriously, your choices all involve keeping it, so unless there's another form of removal to try, no matter how you go about it, you've got to get used to it. In the old days, I know removal actually involved some sort of surgery, but today, various lasers are used, and I know they're developing new types of them all the time. I just saw an ad that mentioned a new type of laser, and that "now even (yellow?, I don't remember) can be removed".

8. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    These are some really quick replies. Thanks folks. I think a lot of my awkwardness is due to having a somewhat visble role in the local community. However, realistically, probably all the people who have seen it, and as a former semi-gym rat it must be thousands, have put less collective thought into it than I have. That is, it's probably only important to me. I probably need to get over feeling self-important. It's pretty distinctive and don't think I want to show it here as it might make me identifiable. At least two other members live in this town.
    Dave

9. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

10. Mr Ed in Mass

Gold Member

Massachusetts,The most corrupt of the 57 states.
    Like you said in this thread,everyone has one,many from a very early age.I have three that I have just recently gotten and I'm 57.I wouldn't fret about it.tell them you got it when you were young and foolish LOL

11. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, Pecker. I never thought of that!
    No, it isn't offensive in its nature. My partner says it's cute.
    Dave

12. Principessa

Gold Member

Unless the tattoo is something offensive like a swastika, cross burning, or lynching I think you are okay. Though I am now insanely curious to see your butt tattoo. :wink:

13. Primal_Savage

Primal_Savage New Member

Albums:
    Smart move! That's the reason you'll not see mine here. Tho Houston's pretty large there's always that chance that someone here will see me at the gym where I work.

14. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Primal_Savage, it was done from flash so there are surely others who have the same tatoo. However the tattoo's location and information about me that is available here could be put together to possibly identify me, especially, as I said, two other members live in this rather small town and, very concievably, actually go to my gym. I haven't posted anything very outrageous here (suggestions, a little bit of flirting, arguing about circumcision) but I still prefer that the information not get out.
    Dave

15. B_Giovani

B_Giovani New Member

Dave I think a tatoo on a ass is sexy, is it because it's no nice? You have pic?

I had a large tatoo in my back since one year now. I'm thinking of doing most of my back going down a bit on my ass, I'm not sure yet, but I like the idea.

16. TheRob

Gold Member

Albums:
    why do you care so much what other people think?
    especialy living on the left coast...
    my thinking would be just to relax

17. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Relax about it, tattoos on the arse are fairly mainstream now.

18. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Tattoos are pretty common these days. I feel out of place sometimes for not having any.

19. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

No, this guy has an awkward tattoo, but at least he can cover it up by growing back all of his chest hair (which is quite extensive on a supposed 19yo).

Attached Files:

20. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Swede82, thanks. I feel better already. Thanks to the rest of you too. I'm just going to stop worrying about it.
    Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted