Feeling the pressure to look "god-like"?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by D_ShiaLeTubeSteak, May 29, 2009.

1. D_ShiaLeTubeSteak

D_ShiaLeTubeSteak New Member

believe it or not - it's 2009 - and the world has changed in many good ways and many bad ways (I won't be the judge of which!)

I want to know - now that were moving into a more sexual and body obsessed social situation (for those who believe this)
    Are you feeling the pressure to live upto the standards that have been set by people like the armani models (male and female) - infact - any form of model -

How are you feeling the pressure ?
    What do you do about it?
    Is it costing you? Money? Love? Friendship? Weight?!
    And finally - do you agree with it?

2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

If it's about making an appearance, yes I take care of that. I think it's important to dress well when you go out of your house. Dressing well makes the first impression, and if you like it or not, that impression is important. I always take care that I wear nice clothes (they don't have to be expensive) and that I have done something about my facial hair or so and I alwaus use deodorant, quite important.

3. D_ShiaLeTubeSteak

D_ShiaLeTubeSteak New Member

totally agree - presentability is very important
    I suppose it's to what extent you feel the need to go to? How media and everything around you affects that .

4. bthegreat

bthegreat Member

Albums:
    The pressure is on. I hate that society only focus on the struggles of females dealing with being perfect, but the images of guys on TV and in movies make it hard for guys too. I'm pressured to be god like and there isn't anything we can do about it.

5. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

most certainly -- am pretty muscular as I am now, and have recently increased my aerobic activity to ensue I present a "shredded" look

6. sleepiboi

sleepiboi Member

I feel that there is a lot of pressure. my upper body isn't the best, so I am working on slimming that down so I can look sexy for summer. I am afraid to even take my shirt off

7. D_Tina_Ciao

D_Tina_Ciao Account Disabled

I don't feel pressure to look like anybody else - I love being a curvy woman, am way sexier than I was when I was young. I do need to lose weight for my health's sake and am in the process of doing so, even though I get remarks from male friends saying, "Don't you lose one pound." (They're afraid I'll lose my breasts; I won't.) I want to be healthy AND sexy, but I do not want to look "fit".

imho, each person should maximize his/her body type to look it's best, but to do so naturally - there should be no pressure.

I think men should look masculine, and women should look feminine - but that's just my opinion. Don't give a damn what "models" look like.

8. Amber1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'd like to lose a bit of weight at the moment...but I'm hardly huge to start with...thats about it..

Oh hope this is a question for girls aswell!!

To be honest I feel no pressure to look godlike....I'm a mortal!! lol!

I know most pictures we see of famous people have been airbrushed to within and inch of their lives and pounds shaved off of them...I know what we see around us in magazines and newspapers is an illusion.

Even famous actors and actresses who people aspire to look like many of them are at an unhealthy weight because thats whats promoted in Hollywood or the film industry in general and as for catwalk models.....

In short I do feel pretty comfortable in my own skin....I think the pressure is there but only IF u let it get to you....How you look isn't EVERYTHING and u have to be able to see through the media bullshit!!

9. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Conform to the ideal body image or be outcast!

10. StormyB

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    To tell the truth, I don't really care about a "buff" guy I prefer slim guys. Too much muscle is either boreing or ugly, but I don't like to little either....theres just this tiny medium that I stand on right between the truth and the media

11. morsecode

morsecode New Member

If you're from my country of origin (not Canada) that's what will happen.

12. OffTLeash

OffTLeash Member

im a younger soul and i deffinetly feel the pressure of the media. as a matter of fact, i just wrote a paper about male body dissatisfaction and a friend of mine wrote one on female body dissatisfaction

13. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I recall reading in more than one place that the Dalai Lama was utterly astonished to learn of the prevalance in western cultures of self hate resulting from poor body image.

14. handcuffsfan4

handcuffsfan4 Active Member

Albums:
    i totaly understand the pressure. i used to be into rock climbing and i had a decent body. but now that im not as active i just look kinda skinny. now whenever i see guys on tv or what not, shirtless, i feel the need to go work out. but i think its a natural psychological thing. you want to look more attractive to the opposite sex, or whatever, to get a mate. advertisers and fashion desginers use them because people want to look like them and so people buy the product. if we didnt want to look like them then they wouldnt have been doing these things for years.

15. D_Brecock Evileye

D_Brecock Evileye New Member

I realy feel the need to do things to look better. I try to eat right. I work out six days a week. I want to get lasic and braces. I could spend a 100 thousand dollars just trying to be attractive enough. I never feel good enough in any way to be truthful.

16. kai028

kai028 New Member

When I was younger, I felt pressure to look good. I'm 47 now, and with all the time that's gone by, I just feel the same need to please everyone else that I once did - at least not in terms of my appearance. There comes a point in your life where you realize that you've stopped caring so much what other people think of you. You're no longer trying to impress them all the time. Of course, I'd like to look better than I do, but I'm much more comfortable with myself now than I was twenty years ago.

17. Dr. Algonquin

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    One of the few upsides of not being good looking is not feeling any pressure to look great. When adequate is the best you can manage there's no need to put in any effort.

18. xolinlevh

xolinlevh New Member

Albums:
    i do feel the pressure. I dont go hugely out of my way to look amazing, i like having a unique look among my friends (i wear a ton of designer stuff, including Armani, the beauty of employee discounts!) i eat decent, im not a health nut or a workout fanatic. i just be me

19. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

I don't know who you going to be outcast by the majority of people are out of shape. I'm hardly perfect but there is always room for improvement. I don't do it for anyone else I do it for myself. the thing I hate most is god forbid I wear a tank top. then I'm just showing off. Even my friends say "you just love showining off your muscles". If I was a tub of lard with a tank top it would be perfectly acceptable. I'm just a tank top board short flip flop tiki bar type of person. that's what I'm comfortable in and seeing as I live on the beach I see no problem with it.

There is no doubt you cary yourself differently when your in shape. Ask anyone who has put the effort in it nothing to do with self hate. I let myself get out of shape when I was a kid. when I see old pictures of myself I can't belive I let myself get like that.

20. morsecode

morsecode New Member

By the country with the most expenditure per capita of beauty products, intended for males and females. At least it was when I left, I doubt it's still riding the mountain, everyone's too fucking poor these days

Draft saved Draft deleted