Female snails growing penises on their heads!

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Female snails living off Perth coast growing penises on head

FEMALE marine snails living off the Perth coast are growing male sex organs on their heads after exposure to the chemical TBT, according to local researchers. Curtin University researchers have revealed the snails are suffering from imposex, a condition that involves the development of a second sex organ after being exposed to the chemical.

Female snails living off Perth coast growing penises on head | Perth Now

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is alarming... according to something else that I read Tributyltin is the most toxic chemical ever intentionally released into sea water. They fear there could also be very hazardous side effects on humans ingesting any fish or marine life contaminated with it.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not saying the concern about chemical dumping in the oceans isn't a valid one, but aren't snails hermaphroditic anyway?
Tsk Tsk.....you didn't click the link.:eek: The article explains that common Garden snails are hermaphroditic, but SEA snails are distinct genders and procreate in the normal fashion.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Tsk Tsk.....you didn't click the link.:eek: The article explains that common Garden snails are hermaphroditic, but SEA snails are distinct genders and procreate in the normal fashion.

I did click the link but I was eating at the same time as reading it, and I didn't notice that bit :tongue::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's something else to worry about? There are a lot more environmental toxins that affect the development of boys than girls, I've learned, or at least those toxins appear to affect boys more profoundly than girls! I've been avoiding cosmetics and fragrances because of phthalates that can interfere with testicular development and can cause testicular tumors in boys before the age of 12, I've been avoiding BPA in plastics and avoiding canned foods because of the suspected effects of it on boys, and now there's this? I gotta look it up.

Growing a healthy baby boy nowadays is so difficult, I'm telling you!