Feminism/Feminist

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by B_Mademoiselle Rouge, Jun 23, 2010.

1. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

What does it mean to you? We all see it differently for different reasons. Feel free to give your definition and maybe an explanation as to why you believe what you do.

2. D_Wally Walnuts

D_Wally Walnuts New Member

I wanna hear this.

3. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    The chance for equal pay and advancement in the workplace.
    The right to live free from sexual harassment and domestic violence.
    The right to make my own choices about my body and my life.

4. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

To me, Feminism means empowerment. The ability to engage in the world on equal footing, without apology and being viewed as worthy of taking that place.

It isn't, to me, so much about specific issues, as much as the mindset of women which prevent them from taking agentive action on their own behalf and for others.

5. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    It means I can appreciate men and women for who they are and not pay attention to anyone who mistakes archaic social norms for biological differences. The differences should be enjoyed not feared, disdained, or misinterpreted to be something they're not.

6. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

My take on Feminism has morphed througout the years. I was raised in a very traditional household where Dad balances the checkbook. Mom doesn't know much savings they have in the bank. My Dad always mows the lawn, my mom always washes the dishes and cleans the house. My Mom was a stay at home Mom, which i appreciated very much and my Dad is almost 70, so he was raised in the 40's and 50's by a single Mom.

Feminism was a bad word in my house, it was equated with bra burning, hairy armpitted hippies. My Mom also had this idea on things. So i didn't think highly of feminists until i became an adult and saw how they have paved the way. Some of them are quite overbearing with their thinking and I don't agree with being paranoid that all men are out to get you and put you in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant.

Some women are so far on the other end that they are in so much submission under a guy where her voice is not heard. We get to pick our men, we are not sold into a marriage for a dowry, we can choose a man who treats us well or doesn't. We have that power and we can't blame anyone else if we pick a complete jerk and he acts like a jerk.

As women, we should have equality in certain fields of work. But there are also other fields of work where men also don't have equality. If a man decides to start cleaning houses, he won't get that much work. But if he decides to do lawn care, he will get hired no problem. If a guy wants to become an exotic dancer, he won't be nearly as successful as a woman would be. If a guy wants to become a brain surgeon, he will rank in his field compared to women.

Both genders face inequality even in this day and age. When you consider that women weren't allowed to vote, smoke in public or use birthcontrol. My Grandma lost her 2nd born daughter because she couldn't get a c-section until my Grandpa could get to the hospital and approve of it. He also had to sign for her to get a much needed hysterectomy after her 12th child was born when her uterus prolapsed into her vagina. We have a LOT to be thankful for these days.

Women have a predisposed idea of what men should be like based on their background, men have the same. Feminism is something that has advanced us as women in society, in the workplace, in our households. We can go to college, be a scientist, an astronaught or a surgeon. And i haven't experienced much negativity towards my gender in my 30 years. So my experiences base my outlook on feminism.

I don't consider myself a feminist, i don't think all day about how women aren't allowed to do this or do that. I see what we've become and we virtually can do anything we want. If we are limited by a man we picked, we have that choice to leave. We don't have to stay in abusive relationships because there are legal ways out of it.

There are always exceptions to everything, but i believe women have power over men moreso than we'd like to think. We can make a guy melt in our hands and want to swim through shark infested waters to bring us a lemonade. We can awe him by how our body can carry and deliver a baby, how we can then sustain that babies life by our own breasts. There are miraculous differences between male and female.

I believe in women's rights, but i don't believe in brow beating men in general because i want to take out my aggression on their gender for what some men have done to make women out to be less than they are. A real man can value a woman for who she is and embrace that as a counterpart to his own strengths and weaknesses.

So feminism to me can be a negative and a positive thing all at the same time. While being held back is hurtful to our gender and future generation, so it making our daughters think that all men should be treated with suspicion and paranoia. There are a lot of good men out there who believe in Women's Rights, but they don't have to wear it on their sleeve all the time. Neither should we as far as I am concerned.

You can physically strong, emotionally strong, driven and strong willed and still have a delicate side to you. I believe a true feminist can appreciate what men bring to the world and want men to see what women can bring to the table.

7. NEWREBA

NEWREBA New Member

Albums:
    "Feminism is a diverse collection of social theories, political movements, and moral philosophies. Some versions are critical of past and present social relations. Many focus on analyzing what they believe to be social constructions of gender and sexuality. Many focus on studying gender inequality and promoting women's rights, interests, and issues."
    Wikipedia

8. D_Wally Walnuts

...and I thank you for that.

Couldn't a lot of this just be put under an "equality for everyone" umbrella?

9. jamesjohnson8

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well said MR. Speaking as a man, I don't know what I can add to that?

10. cbrmale

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I was young, men went to work and women stayed at home as nuerotic bored housewives, indeed it was mandatory to lay off a woman after she got married. Clearly, things had to change, and the late sixties into the seventies was that time of change. Society, controlled as it was by old men, resisted this change, so force was required.

The change that happened during my years of high school was incredible. It was white picket fence and go to Church on a Sunday at the beginning, and by the end it was career opportunities for women, equal pay, and who goes to Church? To gain equal rights and to achieve sexual liberation, the patriarchal anti-sex influence of organised religion had to be destroyed. And it was.

But we still have a long way to go, especially when I compare my country to many European countries. We don't have affordable childcare, so women often have a choice of career, or family, but both is economically unfeasable. We don't have family-friendly workplaces with flexible working hours, which makes it even harder for women to have children and a career. We don't even have equal pay. To some extent this is because women are forced to take part-time work because of family issues, but there are also many examples of women being paid less for doing exactly the same work as men. This is especially prevalent for professionals. And it's men who dominate managment and the boards of corporations, and men who are responsible for this.

My wife, when she had our children, dropped out of the workforce. She had to. It would have been ridiculous to work 38 hours per week, and have her pay cover childcare and nothing more.

So we have a way to go, but we don't have to be men-hating feminists to achieve that. Or do we? Why is it that the Anglo countries typically trail the world when it comes to gender equality and supporting families? I wish I had the answer for my daughter, when she graduates from university in a few years time.

At an individual level, woman should not hate men for the situation we are still in. But, our society is based on a patriarchy, but often men AND women don't see this because it's so much a part of who we are. We take it for granted, but we need to think beyond 2,000 years of oppression to find the answers.

11. Fleur

Gold Member

To me, there is no conflict between feminism and chivalry. I know a lot of women feel there is. To me, feminism is for the equality of women. Not for the fight that women are superior but equal to men. That women are equal regardless if they are a stay at home mom or CEO.

12. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Feminists just suck. Real women swallow.

13. Fleur

Gold Member

Oh I swallow...

14. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've never once doubted you were a real woman... :wink:

15. Slayer0005

Slayer0005 New Member

i think as humans we have to define a lot things. i find this very strange. i dont think one should call themself a feminist but more of a human activist trying to make the world a better place for all humans. it doesnt matter if you are just focusing on women rights in your community because you are still trying to make the world equal for all. also can a man be a feminist?! or cant he because he has a penis :S just my thoughts

16. B_Craiggers

B_Craiggers New Member

In it's shortest form, I'd say a feminist is someone who has respect for women.

Everything else sorta flows out from that.

17. Patchos

Gold Member

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people too.

18. D_Wally Walnuts

That's what I'm asking.

19. alwaysguessing

alwaysguessing New Member

Whenever I heard the word, I used to think of someone who might believe that men tend to lack manners and scruples, while women are somehow morally and socially superior.

Having learned that it's mostly about equal rights for women, I now see that I was way off base.

What I don't understand, is why we should use the term "feminism" when referring to the belief that all people should be granted equal rights. Shouldn't we refer to it as "equalism", or some kind of nuetral term? The word feminism, by itself, seems to imply that it favors women. This does not seem to jive with the notion of equality.

20. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Then I would say that a feminist is one who defines a woman as something more than a life-support system for a cunt.

Draft saved Draft deleted