b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Corey Jones death: New questions about the latest police shooting in Florida

"... the department’s written procedures, obtained by Yahoo News through the Florida open records law, require that surveillance operations be carried out by tactical officers or detectives. As a new hire, Raja was still on probationary status and assigned to patrol. Nothing in his personnel file indicates other duties.

“It looks like they assigned an untrained officer to conduct surveillance,” said police practices consultant Chuck Drago, who read the department’s surveillance policy at Yahoo News’ request. “Surveillance is an art and it takes training and practice. I think the PD will have to explain the use of an untrained officer in such a position.” "

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Several weeks ago I posted this 60 Minutes story of Glenn Ford who spent 30 years on death row in solitary confinement for a crime he didn't commit, one of 149 others on death row, who had since been exonerated.

Glenn Ford: 30 years on death row

In the interview, prosecutor Marty Stroud spoke of not only how the court appointed defense attorneys were incompetent, how he ignored information suggesting the involvement of others in the crime, and how the main witness admitted to being coerced by police, but also how he deliberately excluded blacks from the jury.

But eliminating black people from juries is nothing new. It happens all the time, in quite clandestine fashion, under the auspices of reasons other than race. THIS time, someone got caught:

How Prejudiced Prosecutors Create All-White Juries

Last edited:

temptotalk

Legendary Member
Media
"I found out that my name, my picture and my settlement amount had been released on the front page of the Baltimore Sun," Overbey recalled. "This all started because someone had broken into my home. It’s like my life was just finally starting to come back together and then they do that. I’m terrified that someone is gonna come kick my door in for money I don’t even have."

The public exposure triggered online abuse from anonymous commenters who claimed Overbey concocted the incident in order to receive a payout.

When Overbey defended herself against these accusations, city lawyers said her comments about what happened too closely reflected statements in the lawsuit and thus violated the settlement’s terms. This triggered the nondisparagement clause, and the city seized half of Overbey's settlement.

"It devastated me, honestly," Overbey said. "Me and my children suffered for two whole years. It wasn’t about the money but if they aren’t going to take their badges and get them off the streets then the least they’re gonna do is give me something -- some kind of compensation. And then for them to turn around and even take that, it drove me crazy."

Now, Overbey says she feels obligated to speak out about what happened to her.

"It’s not fair [that] they beat us -- they’re the real criminals but we’re the ones who suffer," she said. "They can speak freely, put our names in the papers but the whole time the gag order protects these officers."

------------------------------------------------

Bolded up top sounds a little familiar.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
maybe of interest to someone
compliments above post..

Official promise change on racial issues at University of Missouri

Published on Nov 11, 2015
Protesters at the University of Missouri have accussed their school's president of ignoring racism on campus. Tim Wolfe stepped down on Monday when the university football team said it would not play any more games until he resigned. The team has resumed playing, but has anything really changed?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
compliments above post..

Protesters at the University of Missouri have accussed their school's president of ignoring racism on campus. Tim Wolfe stepped down on Monday when the university football team said it would not play any more games until he resigned. The team has resumed playing, but has anything really changed?

..."but has anything really changed?"

From the standpoint of the TERRORISTS whose acts prompted the protests and outcry, doubtful.

However what was/IS of significance is not ONLY the many students of multiple races who protested these acts of intimidation and cowardice, but the black players who, with the support of head coach Pinkel, refused to play until those who IGNORED the problem stepped down.

The latter of which gives NEW meaning to the theme "The Responsibilities of Black Athletes/Celebrities in Fighting Racism" - as I believe the title of one of the threads here went (though the Original Purpose of THAT thread clearly had NOTHING to do with action like that taken by the players at the U of M).

What ALSO may have changed is the realization that organizations like football teams (college, AND pro) as well as OTHER organizations have the power to effect CHANGE - by responding not only to those who engage in race based domestic terrorism, but ALSO by holding responsible those with the authority, duty, and RESPONSIBILITY to address it, but who instead, do LITTLE or NOTHING.

Last edited:

temptotalk

Legendary Member
Media
compliments above post..

Mizzou Professor Melissa Click Gets Death And Rape Threats

Man charged after online threats made at University of Missouri

And it's actually more than a little frightening reading the comments section. It's amazing how here in america most people just hop over the news of death and rape threats. As if it's normal.

The posts, discovered Tuesday on the anonymous location-based messaging app YikYak and other social media, threatened to "shoot every black person I see." They followed the resignations on Monday of the University of Missouri system president and the chancellor of its flagship campus in Columbia.

There were other threats, and authorities did not say if additional arrests were possible.

Another threat said: "Some of you are alright. Don't go to campus tomorrow." The message seemed to echo one that appeared on the website 4chan - a forum where racist and misogynistic comments are common - ahead of the deadly campus shooting at an Oregon community college last month.

Yeah america has some serious problems that its trying its best not to pay attention to. Deep ones.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
sort of related
these news alerts do interest me bc, or perhaps i shoiuld say intrigue me, nothings changed , ever likely t
o ..

BREAKING NEWS

With Chicago set to release video of a black youth’s death, a police officer was charged with murder

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:21 AM EST
As this city prepared to make public a video from the fatal shooting of a black 17-year-old by a white Chicago police officer, a state prosecutor charged the officer with first-degree murder on Tuesday.
The charges against Officer Jason Van Dyke come more than a year after the shooting, but only days after a judge ordered Chicago officials to release the video from the shooting, captured by a dashboard camera in a police car. The judge had ruled that the video, described by some who have seen it as graphic and deeply disturbing, must be released by Wednesday.
Read more »

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
sort of related
these news alerts do interest me bc, or perhaps i shoiuld say intrigue me, nothings changed , ever likely t
o ..

BREAKING NEWS

With Chicago set to release video of a black youth’s death, a police officer was charged with murder

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:21 AM EST
As this city prepared to make public a video from the fatal shooting of a black 17-year-old by a white Chicago police officer, a state prosecutor charged the officer with first-degree murder on Tuesday.
The charges against Officer Jason Van Dyke come more than a year after the shooting, but only days after a judge ordered Chicago officials to release the video from the shooting, captured by a dashboard camera in a police car. The judge had ruled that the video, described by some who have seen it as graphic and deeply disturbing, must be released by Wednesday.
Read more »

All of which gives rise to speculation as to what may have occurred had the video evidence NOT been made available. I suspect absolutely nothing. It also causes one to wonder how many similar incident had occurred which were covered up and neatly dismissed due to the absence of such evidence. COUNTLESS, I suspect.

One thing the killing of Michael Brown taught us (or SHOULD have) is the need for body cameras, dash cams, and other such video evidence, as well as the need for immediate availability of such evidence to the general public.

In the case of Michael Brown, video would have been able to promptly corroborate officer Wilson's account of the events (IF one assumes his account to be accurate) and thereby MIGHT'VE negated much of what followed.

D

deleted15807

So on a day that all the major news organizations lead with the shooting of the Chicago black youth:

upload_2015-11-24_20-21-1.png

upload_2015-11-24_20-21-56.png

Fox News viewers are made certain Black Lives Don't Matter at Fox. Just 24/7 hate for Obama:

upload_2015-11-24_20-26-8.png

Attachments

Reactions: AlteredEgo

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
D

deleted15807

^ The hate extends far beyond Obama. He therefore becomes, as such, symbolic of who and what they REALLY hate.

So it's no surprise whatsoever why Trump is soaring. He's the anti-Obama. Take Back America. Make America Great Again.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Recent reports from NBC Nightly News on the developing story about the killing of Laquan McDonald (I'll say "killing" instead of MURDER, lest our usual suspects come from the woodwork to complain):

Chicago Cop Charged With Murder in Killing of Black Teen - NBC News

New Dashcam Videos From Scene of Laquan McDonald Shooting Raise Questions - NBC News

And from slate.com, some speculation as to the causes for delay in prosecuting this crime, as well as introspection into the relationship between police departments and prosecutors:

www.slate.com: Why Did It Take More Than a Year to Charge the Officer Who Shot Laquan McDonald?

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Recent reports from NBC Nightly News on the developing story about the killing of Laquan McDonald (I'll say "killing" instead of MURDER, lest our usual suspects come from the woodwork to complain):

Not to mention the mysterious disappearance from the video recording by a local Burger King of the very period of time in which the shooting took place.

Laquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager Accuses Police Of Erasing Surveillance Video (International Business Times, 29 November 2015)

According to Darshane, after police examined the video of the night, his employees discovered an 86-minute gap covering the period between 9:13 p.m. to 10:39 p.m. “I was just trying to help the police with their investigation ... I didn’t know they were going to delete it,” Darshane told the Chicago Tribune.

The shooting occurred at about 9:57 p.m., according to the timestamp on a police dashcam video released last week.​

Reactions: b.c.

Boobalaa

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mm mm shades of 9/11 and the Pentagon hit.. Seems to me the Surveillance industry has created job security for itself, buy having to run around and provide surveillance on the surveillance cameras.. By deleating and editing a feed tape, all it becomes is what ever those in charge want it to become..Wow..Brave New World