Fetish or Symptom?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Cateryke Cheesysmell, Jan 31, 2010.

1. D_Cateryke Cheesysmell

I am curious, does anyone here think that a fetish out there on the fringe of the fringe...doesn't mater what it is exactly... can be an indicator of mental health issues rather than the freely made choice of a reasoning adult?

To put it another way, is there an act or worldview that is so beyond the pale that its very implementation is sufficient argument against the sanity of the person doing it? I would ask that we exclude pederasty and rape from this debate, as there is already a broad consensus about those two.

I do not want this to be a "bash bondage" or "furries suck" thread, and you need not cite examples if you are uncomfortable doing so. A simple yes or no and why you think such a thing does or does not exist would be cool.

Some general examples might be: a practice where one or more participants is seriously physically harmed (ie not little cuts or bruises) or where an individual believes in their heart of hearts something that is physically not true, not out of ignorance, but out of self delusion.

Can we ever say, "We are as open minded and accepting as people can be, but this goes too far."?

2. sxjTheFirst

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hmmm not sure what you are trying to say ...
    I hear there are guys there who choke themselves to get an orgasm or something and get killed sometimes or seriously hurt. Does that count?

3. D_Cateryke Cheesysmell

Not exactly... what I was thinking, but feel free to make an argument for it....To my mind that falls in a different category; there is sex which is dangerous but has low risk if properly conducted (in this case with someone to cut the rope so you don't hang yourself)

I was more thinking along the lines of heavy cock/pussy torture or really, truly believing that you are a fanciful unicorn or whatever, but that's the point; is it in fact wholly subjective or is there an objective line you really can't cross and still be accepted as sane by people already engaged in some other type of non-mainstream sexual behavior?

Puting the question in a differnet context...is there an outfit that even a blind, gay pimp would concede is just too loud and stupid looking for golf? (cribbed from Robin Williams)

#3 D_Cateryke Cheesysmell, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. Incocknito

Gold Member

Some of them can be.

Someone who feels inadequate or can't form social bonds would be more prone to physically hurt sexual partners etc.

People who feel insignificant or feel that they have no control may be more prone to bondage and torturous sex play such as electrostimulation.

I'm not saying that people who are into that are necessarily mentally unstable but to me they seem to be negative mental traits.

It would be interesting to know if someone's sexual behaviours / fetishes have been altered by psychotherapy.

5. D_Cateryke Cheesysmell

That would be intersting, though we must be careful to avoid anything like the "pray the gay away" type stuff. I don't think that would make us many friends... If someone feels a particular sexual desire is a serious hangup though, they might seek psychotherapy for help. I think that style of thing has been shown to be beneficial to those with sexually focused fears.

6. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

I'd assume every fetish's would have to relate back to some kind of psychological issue. It could be something as simple as a person looking for an older partner to replace and absent parental figure in their life. Or men who have a fetish for being dominated because they are always the person "in control' of their day-to-day life.

But there has to be a issue there i the beginning for it to be a trigger and become a fetish/compulsion

7. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

Many fetishes (and I know fetish is an object rather than an action, but is now used as a portmanteu) are safer than extreme sports. Would society say these sporty people are sociopaths? The law is pretty liberal as to what one does in private, but the sanctions applied when stuff goes seriously wrong can be severe.

8. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

I thought that was what being gay was about!

9. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    An ye harm none, do as thou wilt.

10. Adrian69702006

Gold Member

Watersports, hatdsports and D/L for me!

11. Vestigial

Gold Member

Which of these falls into your view of sanity?:
    • Deliberately giving yourself a Fetish / Symptom.
    • Deliberately retaining a Fetish / Symptom.
    • Partaking in acts compulsively characterized by Fetish / Symptom behaviour.

On the subject of furries, the female from Crash Bandicoot 1 used to get "hot" comments ... and not in private either.

The ones engaged in an ever-spiraling mire of such behaviour might see things differently,.. but perhaps the counsel of an impartial judge would suffice them?

Related material:

Attached Files:

12. D_Cateryke Cheesysmell

Vestigial:
    I would say compulsively engaging in any fetish/symptom without regard for your safety or the safety of your partner, (i.e. you're so into barebacking that you don't ask about STDs) or getting off on the physically risky aspects of sex (the thought you could become pregnant turns you on, even though you have no desire to actually conceive a child) or "i could bleed to death if this dominatrix doesn't know what she's doing," falls closer to the "needs help" end of things. I would also suggest that if a person is completely incapable of arousal from "vanilla" sex (gay or straight) and needs their chosen fetish to get off, then they need to figure out why that is and fix it.

Keep in mind these are just examples, and I'm not claiming any kind of group diagnosis here.

Lee M: It just took me to pose the question about fetishes in general...do the girl who likes to use fuzzy handcuffs because she has "daddy issues," or whatever the pseudo-psychological term of the week is, and the man who actually wants to hammer a nail into his penis differ in kind or just in degree?

I really don't think that any one underlying issue can be directly proven to relate to any one sexual proclivity...Can there be a correlation? sure... but I feel if you took a sampling of the watersports community, for example, you would find no common, unifying, theme other than, "I dunno, I just like being peed on".

13. scottredleter

scottredleter New Member

Albums:
    Fetishes are just something that is not regularly thought of as sexual, but somewhere along the way a person has developed a sexual charge out of it... I guess an example of this might be how some gay men have a huge fetish for sucking cock in bathrooms. they probably started it because that's where they found cock, but after a while just walking into a public bathroom can get them all reved up.
    A friend of mine developed a foot fetish over the years (I don't really think of it as a true fetish, just another part of the body that turns people on) and he tells me that it gets stronger every year because he can view all these hot guys feet all summer long. I got jealous because it would be like if I lived in a world where guys walked around with their cocks hanging out of their pants.
    Bottom line, anything that gets mashed up with your sex life can become a fetish. If it's dangerous or not has more to do with how and why the fetish developed.
    I've known guys who were into piercing as a sexual behavior... not get pierced to have the jewelry or any other of the many reasons people pierce, but as a sexual thrill in and of itself... I guess it's somewhat dangerous, but it's really just an extension of their SM fetish and their desire for pain...
    who knows? there are as many different fetishes and desires out there than there are breakfast foods.

14. Onslow

Gold Member

We all have our own interests and things which turn us on. Is a man who is turned on by breasts any different really than a man who is turned on by shapely legs? Same goes with what gets defined as fetish. Most of the fetishes out there are not near as limited as is usually thought. In this day and age of compuuters and Internet you can type the information about a fetish into the box and in every case I've tried come up with dozens of hits including in many cases clubs and groups.

As long as it doesn't lead to a person being dead or permanently injured and all involved are into it, I have no problem with it whether it's considered a fetish or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted