Fidel Castro resigns...

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It is unlikely there will be any real change from this shift in power. To some extent, Castro has positioned things to continue along as they have been, by passing the power over to his brother Raul. Raul in turn may be able to pass the torch on to a much younger successor which will keep the regime (in some form) going for decades more.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fidel should have stood down a long time ago.

Raul could be worse, he certainly lacks Fidel's charisma and has exhibited radical tendencies in the past. Then, has also expressed a desire to talk to the US..."On the moon, if necessary" was the phrase I think he used. Although that was in 1964 so he may have changed his mind since.:cool:

Raul is 75 so how long will he last? I hope it's not business as usual and I also hope the US takes the opportunity to consider reversal of its most asinine foreign policy toward Cuba it has upheld these last 40 years. It could be used as a tempting carrot, as it's certainly failed miserably as a stick.

I'm sure there will be strong calls for democracy now, well I suppose that's obvious. What will be interesting is Cuba's response, and the West's response to that, if it's not what it wants. I hope expectations are not raised unduly, Cuba is an ideological supertanker, it's unlikely to change direction quickly.

This will be surely an interesting thread, but I'm too busy right now. But I'll be back.:smile:

PS The link is a bit biased, but it's interesting reading, nonetheless.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well he finally has realized that his pride can't run a nation. He is overrun by his desire to "stick it to" the US that he held on to his title just to piss off America.

The reality is the US Government basically just got thte popcorn and took bets on when this would happen.

I have to agree with Northland and say nothing in terms of policy will change. I also have to agree with Dong, Raul's lack of charisma could be a disaster for the system or a boon for the US. His lack of charisma also bears witness to a lack of the ego that Fidel and his buddy Hugo Chavez (AKA Fidel Light) seem to exude.

Time will tell.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was actually expecting this as his health started to decline. And no, I don't think there will be any real change with his brother, at least not right away.

I do wonder, however, if there are some voices in Cuba for a more democratic system, like there were in Russia toward the end of the Soviet Union, and in Poland with the Solidarity movement. Hopefully there are.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Shame Mr. Eisenhower snubbed him and pushed him into the arms of the Russians.

He withstood invasion of his country and constant assassination attempts, I can see why many consider him a hero, if an anachronism. Now he steps down in a manner of his own choosing. It is the finger to other politicians whose careers have ended in ultimate failure.