Finally going to my first bathhouse

92philip

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
So I am finally going to my first bathhouse. I am a little nervous but also very excited. It's called steamworks and its in Berkeley California. Anyone have any advice for me. I don't want to look like a total clutz. I have no idea what proper bathhouse etiquette is.

coveryerteeth

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Don't hold out for Brad Pitt. He rarely gets down in bathhouses. :wink:

Practice delivering a sheepish grin and a kindly, "No, thanks," in place of, "Hands off, you fugly troll!!!" Once this becomes a reflex, it will greatly simplify your life.

Condoms, condoms, condoms! Make sure you're never more than an arm's length away from one. Bring one with you when you walk anywhere. Always put your own condom on yourself. Periodically check to make sure the other guy still has his on. Bathhouse bunnies are relentless in trying to sneak a little bareback action on you. I know, full well, how hard it is to be socially responsible when you're boned up & raring to go with a hot piece of man meat giving you the full-court press, but do not let anyone goad you into doing something you may regret for the rest of your life.

Also, don't pee in the communal showers.

EdWoody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Steamworks are usually fairly reliable, one of the better chains. The Berkeley one is conveniently located near to the university of course, which guarantees lots of horny young students (or at least lots of people looking for horny young students).

coveryerteeth is absolutely correct as regards condoms. They are not an option, they are necessity (not just in a bathhouse but everywhere) and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Don't be off your tits on drink or drugs thus reducing your decision making capacity, because there are people who will take advantage of that. Take care of yourself first.

Having said all that, it can be a lot of fun. As long as you don't go expecting to find the sex-god of your dreams, you shouldn't be disappointed. I've had sex with a lot of guys in bathhouses who I would have thought were way out of my league.

Standard bathhouse procedure is generally as follows - you go in, pay your entry fee. They will give you a key and a towel and direct you to the lockers. You change into the towel and go a-wandering. There will be a wet area - showers, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi - and a maze of some kind to go looking around. The lights will be low and there will be crappy dance music playing. Just sort of explore the space, look for all the nooks and crannys. Other men will be doing the same. If you see someone you like, try following them a bit. Someone may follow you.

EDITED to add: Having just looked at your photos, I should think a LOT of people will be following you.

Talking is rare, it's more done by body language, but it's not forbidden. There are public places to play, which may be a thing you like, but if you don't like other hands coming at you while you're trying to concentrate, there are usually small rooms with lockable doors aswell.

Of course there will always be the nasty old trolls who just wander around trying to weasel their way in on everybody else's fun. But we'll all be old and ugly eventually, so they deserve compassion and a gentle "no thanks" rather than a kick in the groin. Only if they refuse to take no for an answer should anything stronger be needed.

Most importantly of all - you don't need to do anything you don't want to do. Don't let anybody force you into anything. As long as you keep your wits about you, you can relax and have fun. Really that's just a rule for life.

Last edited:

bi_todd

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Funny - I almost went up to Steamworks last night, but the long drive in Friday night traffic got me discouraged.

I haven't been to Steamworks in several years but it is usually good for about 2-3 hours of horny fun. I make it a goal to cum at least twice before leaving. As others have said, set your expectations low so you won't be disappointed. Steer clear of the disease-ridden meth tweakers and wear a rubber for sure.

Among the crowd there are always at least a few hotties, and you will have no problem attracting their attention (as well as plenty of attention from the non-hotties).

psguy64

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I haven't been to Steamworks in several years but it is usually good for about 2-3 hours of horny fun. I make it a goal to cum at least twice before leaving. As others have said, set your expectations low so you won't be disappointed. Steer clear of the disease-ridden meth tweakers and wear a rubber for sure.

Among the crowd there are always at least a few hotties, and you will have no problem attracting their attention (as well as plenty of attention from the non-hotties).

Agree!

B_bxmuscle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I checked out your pics. That sexy body and nice dick of yours will make you an instant success and much sought after. But beware of the quick and easy sex, and instant affirmation based on your sex appeal in such places.

Take from an "older guy" whose been there/done that. I've met too many people who at a young age fell into these scenes like a kid in a candy-store, only end up sex-addicted and emotionally arrested in their knowledge of how to date and develop a real relationship.

Have fun, but remember what Nietzsche said, "beware of gazing into the abyss least the abyss gaze into you."

gosuckit7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is it acceptable to just jo in the open in these places and not have interaction with other people. Just sit in the suana, for instance, or stand in the shower and tug one out? Is there lube around for such purposes? Where does one shoot?

D

deleted213967

fell into these scenes like a kid in a candy-store,

I am afraid he (the OP) might be the only piece of candy there...and for hours on hand.

Sunday afternoons are/were popular (I haven't been in years and have little desire to return)...especially during the cooler, darker, wetter winter.

I do recall observing some of the most incredibly out-of-shape lifeforms I had ever seen in my life, men so very literally out of a shape, far too obese to be able to wear a towel around their waist.

I do recall the unmistakable smell or stale urine and other bodily secretions (that despite the availability of open, spacious, high-pressure showers right next to the steam room).

knight_71

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
so how about a followup did u have a good time. i went to one in philadelphia once just jacked off wtih guys. so I stayed out of the dark areas and did not allow anyone to suck my dick either but had a great time showing off what I have. was a relaxing process once i got accustomed