Finally got the only existing video of my band onto Youtube!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Qua, May 31, 2008.

1. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Give it a spin! Fair warning, no vocals, just an instrumental jam.

YouTube - Spiked Fruit: I Heart My Big

Couple clams, but hey. All the solos and fills were totally improvised, and we were just having fun with it. The middle section is totally random...such was the intention :smile: .

I'm the guitarist all the way to the right, and my real name is on there (but I've gotten a haircut, so you won't recognize that blurry image on the street!)...so don't stalk me :rolleyes:

This was back in November--my phrasing has gotten muuuch better since then :tongue:

2. Mr. Bungle

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good stuff man - nice vibrato, phrasing sounds fine to me!! we're always are our own worst critics... :biggrin1: I've always been a fan of dual leads too, excellent work there. loved the chords during the breakdown/improv part, very ethereal but what really impressed me was the segue back into the main riff... kudos to your bass player for that neat little bassline during that section as well. what kinda equipment ya use?

3. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Good guitar work. Tight band. Very good.

4. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Definitely agree with you on the bassline; he's easily the most most musically solid of all of us, and that bit shows it.

I use a PRS SE Singlecut -> Boss DS1 set to tone 0, drive 2 o'clock and level ~ 8 o'clock (only used in tandem, never alone) -> Ibanez Ts9 set to tone 0, drive max, level ~ 12-1 o'clock -> Boss Gigadelay in stereo to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Jr (the NOS tweed version with a Jensen C12-N speaker), both with the eqs completely open (they're passive), the bright switch and presence on the hot rod nulled and the FAT switch on the BJ on, and volumes at preamp 3 master 4 on the BJ and ~2 on the hot rod, so they remain clean while the distortions are off and only slightly shortly distort if I strum very hard (which I don't unless rolling back the guitar volume to about 6-7). Thus when I put the drives on they add a slight touch of their own compression, enough that I only use lower delay levels to keep nastiness from occurring, but can still use the delay at those levels. The delay then acts mostly as a slight, not-too-noticeable thickener for lead playing, but doesn't do full echoland. It's main function really is to split the signal, allowing the warm Vox-Fender-hybridy Blues Jr to thicken the mids that the crisp Hot Rod, being a normal 6L6 Fender Clean. You see me hit the delay before the 2nd lick of my solo, to get an idea.

The sound quality is pretty garbage there, but you can get a decent idea how it sounds when that into account.

EDIT: ^and thanks Mr.Snakey! I was busy writing my thesis on my guitar setup while you posted.

#4 Qua, May 31, 2008
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
Draft saved Draft deleted