finally, some GOOD news

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr Rock, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
  2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Here's to Chief Justice Antonin Scalia. :toast:

3. jonb

Gold Member

Interestingly, Scalia doesn't seem to believe in stare decisis. He's the type of judge who will overturn his own ruling during his next case (and in fact has done so).

But at least Rehnquist's dead. Indians have been eagerly anticipating this day since the 70s.

4. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I won't join in celebrating the death of political foes. That kind of karma has a bad way of eventually returning to haunt its practitioners. Rather, I'd prefer to see those foes disposed of through the political process and their policies discredited as failures.

SG

5. jonb

Gold Member

You're not familiar with Rehnquist, are you? Ever read up on Duro v. Reina?

6. Dr Rock

Gold Member

balls. the "political process" is THEIR creation; that's how clowns like rehnquist get into positions of authority in the first place. the system is at least as big a problem as the parasites that live off of it; in this system, the actual nature of authority is such that it cannot be used responsibly or accountably. forget meaningless political compass points; by definition, you cannot be part of the system and NOT be abusing your authority, because that's how it's built to work.

that aside, my original post wasn't so much a philosophically-based celebration of a political hack justice's death, as a straightforward celebration of an asshole's death ... but either is equally acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

7. warmsunshine

warmsunshine New Member

Rehnquist Dead: Hell has a new resident. And I personally am hoping some demon with a fist-sized dick is repeatedly fucking him.

8. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not very familiar. I have heard from more than one Indian friend that Rehnquist had some particularly odious view about Indians in general and their religious rites in particular.

SG

9. KinkGuy

Gold Member

What could possibly be worse than Renquist as Chief Justice, you ask? Is who or what, shrub&co., appoint to replace him.

Fasten your seatbelts boys, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

10. Pye

Pye
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The Evil that you know...

11. KinkGuy

Gold Member

No kidding.

12. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

Yeah, I don't have much faith that his replacement will be better. He was well respected by even his liberal colleagues on the Court, so the next Chief could be worse.

13. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Bush Chooses John Roberts as Next U.S. Chief Justice

Sept. 5 -- U.S. President George W. Bush, acting only two days after the death of William H. Rehnquist, said he will nominate federal appeals court Judge John G. Roberts Jr. to be the nation's 17th chief justice.

Roberts, 50, was in line to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor on the Supreme Court, with Senate confirmation hearings scheduled to begin tomorrow. Bush instead will pick a new nominee for that seat.

``Both those who've worked with him and those who have faced him in the courtroom speak with admiration of his striking ability as a lawyer and his natural gifts as a leader,'' Bush said from the Oval Office in Washington with Roberts at his side. ``Judge Roberts has earned the nation's confidence.''

In announcing Roberts's nomination so quickly -- two days before Rehnquist's funeral -- Bush said he hoped the Senate would confirm him before the formal start of the Supreme Court's term on Oct. 3.

``It is in the interest of the court and the country to have a chief justice on the bench on the first full day of the fall term,'' said Bush.

Roberts, who until two years ago was an appellate litigator at a Washington law firm, said he was ``honored and humbled by the confidence the president has shown in me.''

A former official in two Republican administrations, Roberts is now a judge on the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. He had been an overwhelming favorite to win confirmation as an associate justice by the Senate, where Republicans hold a 55-45 advantage.

`Raises the Stakes'

Democratic Senator Charles Schumer of New York, a Judiciary Committee member who previously vowed to ask Roberts tough questions about his views on constitutional law, suggested he would try to hold Roberts to an even higher standard.

``This nomination certainly raises the stakes in making sure that the American people and the Senate know Judge Roberts's views fully before he assumes perhaps the second most powerful position in the United States,'' Schumer said in an e-mailed statement.

Bush said he would fill O'Connor's seat ``in a timely manner.'' He faces conflicting, probably even irreconcilable, pressures, as he prepares to fill the second vacancy. Dealing with sagging approval ratings and criticism over his response to Hurricane Katrina, he may try to reach out to moderates with his next appointment.

At the same time, his political base will want a new justice to be at least as conservative as Rehnquist, who voted to allow the death penalty, restrict abortion and limit affirmative action. And some political allies say Bush must appoint either a woman or a racial minority.

Formal Offer

``Roberts has soaked up the white male seat,'' said Manuel Miranda, executive director of the Third Branch Conference a Washington-based coalition of conservative groups that support Bush's judicial nominees.

Bush officially offered Roberts the chief justice position at 7:15 a.m. today Washington time after the two met privately at the White House yesterday at 5:30 p.m., spokesman Scott McClellan said.

``This had been something that had been in the president's thinking for some time in case the chief justice retired'' or died or became unable to fulfill his duties, McClellan said.

White House chief of staff Andy Card notified congressional leaders early today of Bush's decision. Justice John Paul Stevens, acting as liaison for the court, was also notified of the president's decision, McClellan said.

14. Dr Rock

Gold Member

nice to see the politicos still have their priorities in order. gotta make sure those positions of authority are filled by politically-acceptable drones as opposed to anyone having any genuine or proven ability.

what an unfortunate choice of words.

15. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

nice to see the politicos still have their priorities in order. gotta make sure those positions of authority are filled by politically-acceptable drones as opposed to anyone having any genuine or proven ability.
    [/b][/quote]
    You would think a Negress, a Mexican and a Jew would be enough. Congoloid Rice is probably best because they can son anyone who makes claims of Republicans being racist simply by flashing her picture.

16. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

We never really had a chance for immigration reform anyway. I might as well learn how to play the fiddle. :nopity:[/b][/quote]
    If the Minutemen weren't some backwoods militia peckerwood redneck nigger hating scum, I'd join their squad in a heartbeat and pace the border with the .45 caliber cocked and loaded.

17. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Telling the Truth About Chief Justice Rehnquist" by Alan Dershowitz

My mother always told me that when a person dies, one should not say anything bad about him. My mother was wrong. History requires truth, not puffery or silence, especially about powerful governmental figures. And obituaries are a first draft of history.

So here’s the truth about Chief Justice Rehnquist you won’t hear on Fox News or from politicians. Chief Justice William Rehnquist set back liberty, equality, and human rights perhaps more than any American judge of this generation. His rise to power speaks volumes about the current state of American values.

More:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-dershow...t-c_b_6844.html

18. Pye

Pye
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

That reminds of of that old Bette Davis line to only speak good of the dead...Rehnquist is dead..GOOD

19. Dr Rock

Gold Member

it's like all the reagan bullshit we had last year, when that bastard was finally buried next to his long-dead brain. assholes don't stop being assholes when they die; they just become DEAD assholes.

20. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

SG, the unfortunate part of your supposition is that we, the people, have some say in Supreme Court nominations and appointments. That is just simply not the case. I tried on more than one occasion to get that point across in the last part of 2003, just before the elections. My main opposition to bush as president is not "him as president", per se, but rather the damage I knew he would continue to do through his appointments.

Rehnquist was an evil man. Now it seems that Roberts is poised to take his place (uh, for life, folks) and he is also an evil man. I'm very curious why bushy has such a hardon for Roberts. He barely gets the jerk appointed/fast-tracked into one key position, and a mere month later, fast-tracked/appointed into another, even more key position. It is frightening. My guess is that dubya understands his last-term situation, and wants to stack the deck as much as possible before the end of his second term.

Draft saved Draft deleted