Finally !

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by transformer_99, Nov 5, 2006.

1. transformer_99

Gold Member

The Linux distro I prefer comes out with a new version, download it and do the upgrade thing. Talk about trashing a computer system. Had to do a clean install, and get back to where I was before with the original install. I'm pleased with it now, but yesterday the autoupdate feature gives me 2 dl's for xorg, only one line of code for an option is set to "off" when it should be set to "on" in a conf file and I'm perplexed for hours today figuring it out.

I guess I'm a better man for it, but this was an adventure and a half. First off, I'm set to auto login as a default user. That line of code cause the desktop to lock up, so there's no way of going in as the admin. So now I have to trouble shoot it from the rescue login for the kernel. It's not that this doesn't scare me, but I've never done that before and I get this DOS like Unix prompt. So I finally figure out "gdm as root" is the command line that gets me a gui that is workable to change the autologin to disable. If you are at the point where you don't know what I'm babbling about, that was me with a Unix prompt. After that, it's all I could do to not bash this thing into smithereens. I thought I was going to have to start from ground zero again, until I saw that line of code setting an option for opengloverlay to "off" in the xorg.conf file for the ATi drivers that are installed.

Anyhow, sometimes you have to suffer for something that is free.

2. B_fka_boyertown_casket

Phew! Thank goodness.

3. transformer_99

Gold Member

Check out the screenshot !

Screenshot.jpg

BTW, this is only a fraction of the resolution 480X360, the actual desktop is 1600X1200 resolution.

4. mindseye

Gold Member

I'm still using 6.06 Dapper Drake, mostly because I like to wait a few weeks and see what issues the early-adopters like you find.

Glad you got this up and running, though.

5. transformer_99

Gold Member

Outside of the hosed Dapper installation, upgrading didn't work for me. Others had varying degrees of success. Edgy broke something for everyone, unless others knew more about it. I didn't use the alternative cdrom, but the desktop cd iso. I read that's the wrong way to do it. OK, that makes plenty of sense to tell us 2 weeks after everyone has borked their Dapper ?

Anyhow, Is ay do a clean install, you get new applications from the repository and all. Right now edgy is just as stable as Dapper was. The only difference I can see is the new gnome, kernel and evolution, oh and being able to xGL and Compiz for the 3d desktop, although I haven't had the chance to go that route with it yet.

With a clean install, you'll be happy with it. The first update was the XOrg updates, 2 of them and had I known about the config file, this wouldn't have been any big deal. Edgy comes with ATi's 8.28.8 drivers as an option, I immediately was able to go with 8.29.6 as I had it archived and yesterday 8.30.3 drivers came out and it was a matter of running the manual installs.

Edgy has a pretty good wiki already established from the Edgy RC version and the Dapper experience:

Ubuntu:Edgy -

Here's the guide I used to trouble shoot the video driver issue from a standpoint of installing and reverting back when it didn't work because the openGLoverlay was turned off.

Ubuntu Edgy Installation Guide - cchtml.com

I'm already looking forward to "Fiesty Fawn" next April/May 2007. The rev is 7.04, Edgy is 6.10, guess it's year, month, since Dapper was 6.06.

I can't tell much difference, but like I indicated, you get all the latest revisions, Firefox 2.0, Open Office 2.04, Evolution 2.8 instead of 2.6. There are a lot of improvements and fixes for the power user.

Draft saved Draft deleted