Finding people you jibe with ...

salinger

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
And i love my work ... and it's MY company and i am the only employee right now ... really i have to push through the initial stages so i can get enough business to hire other people to do all this running around for me.

The good news then is that there is an end in sight, whether it be six months or two years, this situation isn't permanent. It sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to find something that might not be easy to do right now. My next batch of advice is this: stop it.

Take a breather. Let yourself off the hook. Once all that pressure is gone it might actually be easier to meet people. I can tell you're a decent, normal, intelligent person just from this miniscule interaction. You'll be fine, just take it easy for a bit. And when in doubt - drink more.

PatriotSam

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The internet can be a great tool, I just wouldn't necessarily use LPSG as your biggest networking tool (pun intended).

That's a good pun!

And I don't ... honestly i only post here when I'm in this sort of mood where i wish i had someone to hang out with but i don't so talking it out on the forms is the next best thing.

Plus LPSG ... regardless of the theme of the site ... is really the only forum where you can talk and not get attacked by a million 12 year old kids who call you "gay" and a "noob" ... among other random slanderous comments.

People on LPSG use much more intelligent and verbose insults!

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been thinking this exact same thing lately! I've always had trouble finding people I can feel comfortable with - that's why I'm usually so shy. I've been ridiculed for my views and interests... most of my life I have been. I'm not so much now, but that's mostly because I keep quiet! :eek: But then I'm pestered about being so quiet! ARGH!!!

My friends back home are mostly older, and not just older but with chronic health problems, and most of them are unable to work because of the health problems! It also interferes with my wanting people to do active things with, since they were unable to do active things. Now I have a group of acquaintances (not really close friends) who ARE active and healthy, but I'm so out of shape now that I can't keep up with them! :mad:

And while I will open up about my interests with most people, I still do tend to keep my political/religious/sexual, etc. views to myself, since I'm somewhat out of the mainstream on most of it - or at least out of the mainstream of the places where I've lived. But in my hometown I couldn't even open up about my interests! They were either considered too "highbrow" (the people didn't use that word, probably don't know it - these are people who don't like to read and hate anyone who is college educated! :eek:) or that my interests are "too unfeminine" (like whatever that's supposed to mean!) Where I live now, most of my interests are acceptable though. What isn't as accepted is that I'm a liberal Unitarian Universalist who isn't necessarily monogamous (but possibly could be if I met the right guy...) and who is vehemently against gender stereotyping, double standards and ALL sexism. I've run into more problems because of my views than anything else.

But I'd love to have a small group of friends who I could be completely comfortable with, who wouldn't get on my case for having the views I have, and who like to do a lot of the same things I like to do.

And while many of my friends are older and have health problems, I actually feel that I have more in common with younger people (like in their twenties) than I do with older people and especially people my own age (seems I belong to THE most conservative age group out there...) My "older" friends are from the 60s "hippie" generation. That's probably why I can get along with them. :biggrin1:

What I'd been talking about recently was finding people to walk with (since I'm too out of shape now to do running and stuff like that like my healthy friends do!), do movie nights, play games, etc. Well, and of course if any dates came out of that, that'd be great too!

Nala

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
WIRW, I'm in the same boat when it comes to finding people/friends, the only exception is that I've found a great man (through the Internet btw) I have a lot in common with and married him. I've become quiet to avoid the misunderstandings, jealousy and the harsh comments. The point is: I'm not a good chatter, 'How's your day?', 'How's the weather?' or even 'Do you like my cock?' is okay to start a conversation, but if that's all there is I'm out of there. It's hard to find people that share all your interests, but nowadays it's an exception to find someone you not only share an interest with, but on an acceptable level as well. No need to say I cherish the friends I've found.

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

I mean, a large percentage of people in the world are good, moral, hard working people who lead good lives ... absolutely nothing to complain about ... but their perception of the world tends to be rather small and when their pulled outside of that ... they get uncomfortable. It's like they're locked into their little bubble and don't want to break out of it.

patriot, I think you've raised a great question, and one I can definitely relate to. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think this snippet above may be a little auto-biographical in a way you don't realize. Sounds like you also realize that by being unique, you can get locked into a kind of bubble. You want to break out of yours, and don't quite know how to.

In my opinion, the trick is to recognize the difference between being unique (and it really does sound like you are unique in some ways compared to many others), and figuring out what you have in common with others.

The trick to having good social relations with others, no matter who they are and no matter how ordinary or unique they may be, is to try to stay focused on what you have in common. This is what makes a chat at a bar, in some group, in any organization--no matter what it is--enjoyable. It's a test of your own creativity and imagination too.

The more unique you are in fact, the more challenging it can be in some situations to figure out what you have in common, or want to have in common, with others.

I have a very unique background and skill set. I was raised on a farm in a world that was almost pre-industrial in a way, very simple people in simple interactions. We had a big family, 10 kids. I was smart, so went away to school at 14. Had a great education. Studied philosophy eventually with some of the world's best. Got into art, architecture, music, computers, painting (and I love burning man). I'm a very original guy, have lots of energy, am entrepreneurial, wound up working in a large international organization that is very complex. I have hobbies that others think are unusually intense, extreme, out-there. So I'm sort of an "outlier." I'm also gay, which can put me on the outside too when I'm with straight people who are focused more on their families, kids, schools, etc. I like racially and culturally diverse environments, have quite a few european friends.

But I don't focus on all of those things simultaneously whenever I meet somebody new and try to have a conversation.

Instead, I draw on whatever part of my background and mind or life experience they can relate to, and enjoy figuring out what common language we can speak.

I can talk farm work and manual labor with any blue collar worker, because I've done it. I can talk academics with any brainiac because I have loved and done at least some hobby reading in everything from neurology to string theory to art criticism to sociology, religion, history, literature. I can talk finance and global economics with the internationalists. I can talk race politics with minorities, I can talk religion with fundamentalists and atheists, philosophy with people who never think about logic, and psychology with people who hate psychology.

The key to being happy in all of this for me is never to expect that I am going to find somebody exactly like me precisely because I am unique. There is nobody like me, nobody with my background and peculiar set of insights, experiences, and method.

But because my interests are wide-ranging (like yours seem to be), I have a hell of a lot to draw on at any given time in a conversation. I've had a lot of experience with women, and am bisexual enough that I can relate to any straight guy w/o compromising myself. I have enough confidence in who I am that I can relate to an 80 yr old as easily as a 7 yr old, or a confused 20 yr old as easily as a very accomplished professional at the top of his game.

I simply figure out something we have in common, something we can both relate to, and I focus on that. I focus on what common identity we share, not the elements of our identities that are different, and that make each of us unique.

Identity and difference go together in human experience. You can't have one without the other. You can't have a real identity unless you are in fact different from other people, and you can't have real relationships unless you are able to focus on your common identity and experiences, your shared values and meanings, while simultaneously respecting those things that make you different. This is as true in a marriage as it is in friendship or in work or in your family. You have to be able to experience identity and difference simultaneously, and keep them in an easy, simple balance simultaneously, too. It's not always easy, but that is the dialectic that keeps life interesting and worthwhile. It's the dialectic that creates value and momentum in nearly every worthwhile human thing you do.

You alone know what makes you unique. If you focus only on that, it will in fact make you feel sometimes like you are living in a bubble. But you always have the choice, no matter where you are, no matter who you're with, to focus on what you have in common with others. That is the method you can always use to slide yourself into that clearing which is mid-way between being unique, and being a member of a common group of humanity.

Bottom line to me is that I also think you are right when you say that what you are probably looking for most of all is a wife. But to marry, you don't need to find someone as unique as you are. You need to find someone who will enjoy your uniqueness just as much as you enjoy hers. You need to find someone you enjoy sharing things in common with, even if you are both unique. Find easy ways to change gears in the way you think, and shift from the "unique" sphere that is you alone to the "common" sphere where you focus on things you really do enjoy sharing with others, and the rest will sort itself out. You'll find a surprising mix of very ordinary, very good, and very unusual, original solutions simultaneously, just as you do in any entrepreneurial exercise.

good luck, friend.

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People on LPSG use much more intelligent and verbose insults!
We do try. :cool:

There has to be some middle ground there but I'm not sure i know what it is yet?

Honestly if i was going to marry the girl i would gladly change my ways ... but how do you get through the dating part if you're never around to date?

When you figure it out PLEASE let me know. I quit an exhausting job I loved 7 years ago so I could meet someone and have a life.
I'm still waiting. :irked: I was on the road for 20 weeks out of the year back then and no man believed I could be faithful. :frown1:

Oh and I live in a little town where I have next to nothing in common with most of the people who live here. I'm working on getting out but this economy isn't helping at all.
That's why I spend time on the internet (that and my insatiable thirst for knowledge).
:lmao: Insatiable thirst for knowledge. :biggrin1: You use the internet to look at nekkid mens and download music just like the rest of us. :tongue:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't 'jive' with many people. My interests are diverse but, since moving to Georgia from New Jersey I have been incredibly lonely. :frown1: Down here even educated people seem to get married very young. Consequently I have nothing in common with people my own age as they all have children in their 20's! :eek: Back home in Jersey I knew lots of happily unmarried women and men w/o children in my age range. Here I feel like a freak of nature or worse a spinster. :frown1: Some couthless people have actually asked if I was a lesbian. :yikes:

I understand your plight PatriotSam, I just wish I had an answer. :rolleyes: It's not all bad though. :wink: My current beau is a long distance trucker who just happens to be 14 years younger than me and divorced.

PatriotSam

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here I feel like a freak of nature or worse a spinster. :frown1: Some countless people have actually asked if I was a lesbian. :yikes:

That pisses me off!

I always get presumed gay because I'm clean cut, polite and (relatively) well spoken ... but i don't have a girlfriend. (And before some of your freak out ... NO ... i have nothing against being presumed gay ... it's just annoying and counter productive when you are in fact straight!)

It's like if I'm not an unkempt, beer swilling, violent womanizer ... I must be gay! WHAT? Where do people get that idea?

Or in my area, if I don't like football i must be gay ... or communist!

I have a few relatives that live down south and they're so Christian it's scary. My one aunt literally carries a bible with her just waiting to exorcise something!

Whether it's because you're using bigger words than they can understand or because you're not kneeling before their god ... some people in the world just get scared of anyone they can't relate to themselves ... and of course that fear manifests itself in insults and aggression.

Humanity ... PISH!

PatriotSam

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Instead, I draw on whatever part of my background and mind or life experience they can relate to, and enjoy figuring out what common language we can speak.

I do live in a bubble ... it's called the Earth's atmosphere!

I think a more accurate statement would be to say that my own interests and viewpoints alienate me ... not necessarily that i live in a bubble ... because i won't be bound to a single viewpoint or a single anything for that matter.

Here are some common and recent topics I've talked about in bars and other common areas ...

"The (insert sports team) is really doing good lately they're looking like they could go all the way this year!"

My response ... Yea, that's cool ... i don't really follow them too much, I'm not all that much of a sports fan ... though i do like when the home team is wining ... makes the entire city more up beat.

If they continue talking about sports (stats and who is trading who) i usually just nod and feign interest because i really have no clue what they're talking about.

"These gas prices are so high i just don't know what I'm going to do. It cost me over $120 to fill up my truck yesterday!"

My response ... Yea, gas is definitely expensive ... fortunately it doesn't affect me too much, I'm self employed so my commute includes walking across my house ... and any time i do need to do a lot of driving, fuel is usually covered by expenses. Actually, i think I'm using up about a tank of gas every 3 weeks these days ... so it all averages out in the end.

"Man! Prices of everything are so high these days! I don't know how much more of this i can take!"

My response ... Yea, it's inflating for sure! I can hardly get a sandwich and a beer for less than $15 these days ... i remember when it used to be $5 ... and that was only a few years ago! But ultimately inflation is inevitable ... and money is relatively easy to obtain ... i just have to push for a few more substantial clients and that will level things out. Which actually isn't a bad thing ... i needed to take on a few more clients anyway because i wanted to hire a couple of employees to help spread out the workload.

"They should just nuke those "sand ni**ers" and get it over with! Kill em all and let god sort em out!" (This was a real comment after seeing a sorry about the current US death toll in Iraq.)

That's a pretty heavy handed approach and not really a decision that The United States has the right to make ... I mean, without getting too deeply into into the topic ... the people we're fighting are extremists hiding among a rather innocent and docile population ... i mean, we have no grudge against the majority of the population in Iraq and even if you did nuke the entire country the terrorists operate in cells spread out across the world ... that's the way terrorism works, it's really hard to pin them down ... exterminating a specific country would do nothing but kill a lot of innocent people ... which we're already doing enough of.

I support our troops but the issue is not our men and women on the ground ... it's the political agendas and large cooperate contracts controlling their actions here in the US.

It's a really fucked up situation and i really wish it would end. Hopefully now that Obama is going into office he'll cut off a lot of the business and political ties that where keeping us in Iraq and bring the troops home.

The mention of Obama actually sparked a ridiculously intolerant string of comments about a black guy as president ... i had some responses to those comments but i just kept my mouth shut.

Then when i changed the subject i went to this topic ...

Did you know that if you extrapolate the exponential nature of the advancement of technology ... by 2035 we're supposed to have nano technology advanced enough to where our bodies would literally become part machine! Our brains could connect wirelessly to the internet and display images directly through our optic nerve! I mean, some people speculate that some day we're going to be involved in a conflict between human intelligence and artificial intelligence ... but i find it more likely that humanity will instead become one with it's technology ... either that or we'll destroy ourselves in one fail swoop! Either way it's going to be really cool!

His response was ... "Everyone's on that internet! I don't get computers."

How do you find a common language with these people?

Of course not everyone is like that but i think a large part of the population is very affected (if not governed completely) by what the media tells them.

Sheeple!

I think i just had a little rant there! Sorry if this makes absolutely no sense in the context of my original post.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I understood everything and sadly have heard such conversations personally. :frown1: You think the price of a beer and a sandwich have gone up you don't want to know how much tampons and sanitary napkins cost these days. It's not like they are made of gold or plutonium :irked:

I do live in a bubble ... it's called the Earth's atmosphere!

Did you know that if you extrapolate the exponential nature of the advancement of technology ... by 2035 we're supposed to have nano technology advanced enough to where our bodies would literally become part machine!
You mean we would be born with iPods attached to our arms?!:confused::eek:
Our brains could connect wirelessly to the internet and display images directly through our optic nerve! I mean, some people speculate that some day we're going to be involved in a conflict between human intelligence and artificial intelligence ... but i find it more likely that humanity will instead become one with it's technology ... either that or we'll destroy ourselves in one fail swoop! Either way it's going to be really cool!
Yeah, that's a little beyond my comprehension.

You and my bf would get along great. He studies lightwave duality and particle fusion for fun, when he's not working on cars, building computers from scratch, playing the drums, studying astronomy, writing computer code, or actually working.:rolleyes:
His response was ... "Everyone's on that internet! I don't get computers." How do you find a common language with these people?
You don't, maybe food, but I'm guessing Billy Bob isn't much into Edamame, wild rice salad with currents unless it's on top of a steak; or stuffed inside a country fried pork chop. :tongue:
Of course not everyone is like that but i think a large part of the population is very affected (if not governed completely) by what the media tells them.Sheeple!
Pretty much. :frown1:

I think i just had a little rant there! Sorry if this makes absolutely no sense in the context of my original post.
On the contrary, it tied in perfectly.:smile:

PatriotSam

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You mean we would be born with iPods attached to our arms?!:confused::eek:

NO! That's the best part! You wouldn't have an iPod attached to your arm ... YOU WOULD BE THE IPOD! The sub dermal implant in your body would connect to the internet wirelesly and nanobots would interface directly with your cochlear nerve ... essentially you would hear the music as if it where playing out of thin air without any headphones or speakers you could crank your music without bothering anyone and you wouldn't hurt your ears because your ear is not receiving physical sound waves!

If you wanted to share your music with someone (like at a party or club) you would just open up a "public play list" and people would just log in and have that music streamed into their own cochlear nerves. You could have a killer rave and not bother your neighbors!

This really is off topic but do a Google and YouTube search on "Ray Kurzweil" and "Technological Singularity" ... this guy is really cool!

It seems a little far fetched but if one hundredth of it comes true the future is going to be amazing!

PatriotSam

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Again off topic but something that illustrates where society is and why i have so much trouble relating to it ...

Here's a lecture by Ray Kurzweil about the evolution and future of technology with about 22,000 views on YouTube ... YouTube - Ray Kurzweil: How technology's accelerating power will transform us

The most viewed video on YouTube is Avril Lavigne's music video for her song "Girlfriend" with over 100,000,000 views ... YouTube - Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend

Popular media is so influential in todays society and people are lead by it almost exclusively.

This particular example is rather disturbing.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't 'jive' with many people. My interests are diverse but, since moving to Georgia from New Jersey I have been incredibly lonely. :frown1: Down here even educated people seem to get married very young. Consequently I have nothing in common with people my own age as they all have children in their 20's! :eek: Back home in Jersey I knew lots of happily unmarried women and men w/o children in my age range. Here I feel like a freak of nature or worse a spinster. :frown1: Some couthless people have actually asked if I was a lesbian. :yikes:

I understand your plight PatriotSam, I just wish I had an answer. :rolleyes: It's not all bad though. :wink: My current beau is a long distance trucker who just happens to be 14 years younger than me and divorced.

I come from an area where the people marry young, too... like right out of high school. I didn't even have a DATE until I was in college! :eek: I was also the only girl from my class (elementary school, not high school which there was too many for me to keep up with) who went to college, too. People where I grew up don't like educated women. :mad:

That pisses me off!
I have a few relatives that live down south and they're so Christian it's scary. My one aunt literally carries a bible with her just waiting to exorcise something!

Whether it's because you're using bigger words than they can understand or because you're not kneeling before their god ... some people in the world just get scared of anyone they can't relate to themselves ... and of course that fear manifests itself in insults and aggression.

Humanity ... PISH!

This is another problem I have with the people where I grew up (I lived there far too long...) - they thought I was a snob for using "big words" (and I don't think I use big words all THAT much!), plus there were a lot of Bible-thumpers there... I haven't run into as many problems with religion as I have with politics or sexual views, although the fundamentalists aren't too crazy about Unitarian Universalists. And I have a problem with fundamentalists too! Although I am careful now to say specifically that it's fundamentalists that I have a problem with, since I have no problem with Christians who are not fundamentalists.

I think a more accurate statement would be to say that my own interests and viewpoints alienate me ... not necessarily that i live in a bubble ... because i won't be bound to a single viewpoint or a single anything for that matter.

Here are some common and recent topics I've talked about in bars and other common areas ...

"The (insert sports team) is really doing good lately they're looking like they could go all the way this year!"

My response ... Yea, that's cool ... i don't really follow them too much, I'm not all that much of a sports fan ... though i do like when the home team is wining ... makes the entire city more up beat.

If they continue talking about sports (stats and who is trading who) i usually just nod and feign interest because i really have no clue what they're talking about.

I like sports but I'm not particularly up on the "stats" lately. I used to be more up on things especially on basketball, but have had other priorities recently, mainly having to do with trying to become gainfully employed again.

"They should just nuke those "sand ni**ers" and get it over with! Kill em all and let god sort em out!" (This was a real comment after seeing a sorry about the current US death toll in Iraq.)

That's a pretty heavy handed approach and not really a decision that The United States has the right to make ... I mean, without getting too deeply into into the topic ... the people we're fighting are extremists hiding among a rather innocent and docile population ... i mean, we have no grudge against the majority of the population in Iraq and even if you did nuke the entire country the terrorists operate in cells spread out across the world ... that's the way terrorism works, it's really hard to pin them down ... exterminating a specific country would do nothing but kill a lot of innocent people ... which we're already doing enough of.

I support our troops but the issue is not our men and women on the ground ... it's the political agendas and large cooperate contracts controlling their actions here in the US.

It's a really fucked up situation and i really wish it would end. Hopefully now that Obama is going into office he'll cut off a lot of the business and political ties that where keeping us in Iraq and bring the troops home.

The mention of Obama actually sparked a ridiculously intolerant string of comments about a black guy as president ... i had some responses to those comments but i just kept my mouth shut.

Yeah, I'd really have a problem with these kinds of statements. Sounds like the people where I grew up... most of them are VERY racist. I learned early on to keep quiet in order to escape them hating on ME as well. :mad: Not to mention how they'd react if they knew I voted for Obama... :biggrin1:

Did you know that if you extrapolate the exponential nature of the advancement of technology ... by 2035 we're supposed to have nano technology advanced enough to where our bodies would literally become part machine! Our brains could connect wirelessly to the internet and display images directly through our optic nerve! I mean, some people speculate that some day we're going to be involved in a conflict between human intelligence and artificial intelligence ... but i find it more likely that humanity will instead become one with it's technology ... either that or we'll destroy ourselves in one fail swoop! Either way it's going to be really cool!

His response was ... "Everyone's on that internet! I don't get computers."

WTF??? This person must be older. I think everyone under the age of 30 or so "gets" computers. I'm 45 and some people my age don't get them. I got them later in life, in my mid-twenties I decided to get a degree in computer information systems because I thought there were a lot of jobs in the field. Well, there ARE a lot of jobs in the field, but a lot of them have been outsourced to other countries now, and a lot of the ones here are only for super expert level people and my skill level is not up to that level yet. I do want to get back into the IT field though, as I found that I like it, not just that "there are lots of jobs in it". I have many other interests as well though. As a child I was very interested in astronomy and I've sort of "rediscovered" that interest. I'd have a long way to have to go educationally to become an astrophysicist though, although I think I'd like that as well.

How do you find a common language with these people?

Of course not everyone is like that but i think a large part of the population is very affected (if not governed completely) by what the media tells them.

Sheeple!

I have a wide variety of interests too, it's just that up until recently I had a hard time finding people who had ANY of the same interests as me. Or, even those who had a few similar interests, finding those who didn't have a problem with a WOMAN having those interests! :eek: One thing I've found recently is a bunch of people who like to travel. I'm loving that, except that I don't have the money to travel! Back where I used to live, most of the people didn't like travel at all. I didn't really understand that. They probably especially wouldn't want to travel to another country, as they often hated "foreigners". The only thing that's keeping me from traveling is the financial situation. Otherwise I'd love to be traveling the world! I have a few goals of things I want to do in my life... some of them I not only need money but also need to be in better physical shape than I'm in now! :biggrin1: I need to find people to exercise with to improve that physical shape... and hey, I don't need a lot of money to do that!

The problem is that most of the people I know who like to exercise are in really GREAT shape and would leave me in the dust! They go on these really advanced fast-paced hikes and stuff. While I can go the distance on the hikes, I have a problem with the speed that they're hiking! I've gone a few too many years with friends all with chronic health problems and can't do much physical activity, and before that, a bunch of people who didn't think women should DO these kinds of things!

But yeah, I love to travel, do a wide variety of sports and physical activities (although I'm not particuarly good at them, so bear with my being a beginner!), sciences, music (especially indie rock and world music), reading (science fiction, fantasy, mystery, some nonfiction about science, history, etc.)

The people I grew up around: hate to travel (too many "foreigners" :rolleyes:), don't think women should play sports or do physical activity, think science is "anti-God", don't like any music except country and Christian, don't like to read except maybe the Bible, etc...

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I totally understand what you're going thru. After moving from LA to the OC...it's like pulling teeth to make real friends. Sure hooking up is easy and such...but when it comes to just hanging out..cuddling on the couch, watching a movie, having dinner or just goofing off...well those people are hard to find. Always seems just when you do find people you relate too...they move. HAHAHA Also, I have lots of friends in their early 20's that tell me they don't relate to people their own age a lot of the time...and most of their friends are in their 30's or higher. One person inparticular said, "Guys my age don't seem to have any real goals or aspirations and just live day to day doing whatever gets their dick hard that day." This guy just turned 25...very career oriented....EXTREMELY hot and has the worst time dating. However, like salinger said, he spends a lot of time when not working going back and forth to LA, Long Beach, SD, and the OC...just to hang with his friends. Now only if we all could build a good base group in areas we live...without having to travel forever to relate to someone like that. I'd love to have a good core group of friends, hell even friends with benefits...but how do you go about finding them when you work for yourself, from home, and when you get out and about to bars and such. Are those the type of places you think you'll meet people being their real selves that you can relate too? Or are they putting on the bar face to fit into the scene or to get a certain kind of attention.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NO! That's the best part! You wouldn't have an iPod attached to your arm ... YOU WOULD BE THE IPOD! The sub dermal implant in your body would connect to the internet wirelesly and nanobots would interface directly with your cochlear nerve ... essentially you would hear the music as if it where playing out of thin air without any headphones or speakers you could crank your music without bothering anyone and you wouldn't hurt your ears because your ear is not receiving physical sound waves!
So it would be like the episode of the Partridge Family where Laurie's braces were receiving music from the local radio station. This caused her to play off beat.

If you wanted to share your music with someone (like at a party or club) you would just open up a "public play list" and people would just log in and have that music streamed into their own cochlear nerves. You could have a killer rave and not bother your neighbors!
Yeah, that thought kinda creeps me out.:redface: I don't want to be part machine.

This really is off topic but do a Google and YouTube search on "Ray Kurzweil" and "Technological Singularity" ... this guy is really cool!

It seems a little far fetched but if one hundredth of it comes true the future is going to be amazing!

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(I only read the first page.)

I was going to say try moving to a different place too.

But finding friends takes time also. I don't think there's an easy fix. You have to put work into it. Make friends, and make friends through them, etc. If you don't have much time it's hard to do. I've been trying to do this more recently, trying to get off the computer and going out, even if just for an hour or two.

Good luck.

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The United States has just gotten so anti-intellectual and unintellectual that it's getting more difficult all of the time to find younger people into anything intellectual that's not just technological or financial..... Sports in particular has become hegemonic, like a religion. Everywhere you go, men in particular seem to be talking about nothing but sports. Believe me, if there was as much casual conversation about anything else--politics, religion, the weather, you name it--you would think the world has gone crazy, but I'd say 99% of Americans don't give it a second thought that sports seems to be everywhere, all of the time.

PatriotSam

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I believe very strongly in the fact that the perfect situation (whether it's your job, house, neighborhood or friends) does not exist naturally in life and that you have to create it for yourself.

We look at the media and they model these perfect little "realities" that we strive for but the real reality is that A) it's all staged and B) when the cameras turn off the "realities" go back to being real and real is not all that glamorous or smooth.

If you base your goals off of what the media shows you ... and then go out into life and search for it ... YOU'LL NEVER FIND IT, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST!

Whether that's love or friendship ... you have to work to make it what you want it to be. You have to go out there, be social, arrange gatherings or dates and make it happen for yourself ... because if you wait for it to happen "naturally" or expect it to find you ... you're going to remain lonely for a long, long time.

I know these statements sort of contradict my original post but i knew this answer when i started this thread ... it's just taken all this conversation for me to realize it again.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i'm one of those lucky peoples that can befriend peoples no matter what social clique they belong to. i can always find some kine common ground or start a friendship. like i said, i consider myself very lucky for have this ability.