Fingernail Maintenance

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are you good about it? Or lazy? Are your nails a mess or neat?

i have to say that i have always been very careful and clean when my nails are concerned, and clipped neatly.

I do not like the whole "going for a manicure" thing as a man, and i think it is a bit too pretentious for a man (but not a woman)

but ever since i was relatively young (i learned early on), i always washed them with a special soapy brush when showering, then had a very regular clipping routine )once every 4 days or so, and would also use a nail file, just to shape out any edges left from the clipping and i would also use the little nubby thing for the cudicles.(sp?) i never put any of those clear polishes on or anything, because i think that goes over board

really dirty fingernails, and ones that are either really long, or gnarled, or chewed, i find to be really annoying and a tad gross. obviously i would not judge a person's character on it, but, it is a little bothersome to me.

Interestingly enough, i think at an early age i learned that sexually, also, when with women, i would always wonder if having fingernails that were too long, or a bit sharp by having rough edges or that were chewed, would cause a women discomfort when using my fingers on and inside the vagina.

I said this to a woman when i was about 19-20 and asked her if my nails were okay in and around there as i did not want her to be uncomfortable, and she laughed a bit, and said, "you know i was going to tell you, you had really nice nails when i noticed your hands at dinner" and then i said that it always concerned me that i might be scratching the nether regions, and she said what i suspected, and what virtually every single woman i have been intimate with since then (17 years) has said...which was they cannot even say how many times they had felt uncomfortable, or scratched, by a man's nails down there and inside, but had never said anything, or simply stopped the guy from doing it and they were very impressed that i was considerate enough to think about that and was the mark of a sexually aware man in regard to the little things that one might not normally think of...

anyhoo...

are you good about taking care of your nails, or do you let it slip?

also, to our lovely forum ladies, has the scratching, long nail thing ever caused you a bit of discomfort down there and is it noticeable to you?

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I work w/plants and trees which means my hands are always in dirt....er.....soil and water so I have to constantly work on my my nails and hands. I don't go for manicures, but it would be nice to get a gift certificate for one.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I get a professional manicure and pedicure every week. I don't find it pretentious at all. They do a good job, my nails always look nice, it's relaxing and I get to catch up with all the juicy details in People magazine.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
but then, you're gay...

I don't think manicures or pedicures on men are pretentious.. I think they are gay.

Cleaning underneath... clipping and occasionally filing with the file built into the clippers... that is something every man should be able to handle on his own without professional consultation.

Seriously... its like hiring someone to brush your teeth.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have the annoying habit of absent mindedly scraping at one fingernail with another which chips both and then they both end up needing to be trimmed and filed. Never any dirt under them or along the edges, as I am slightly over the top in hand washing (not ocd, just fanatical).

B_diddydoo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
yeah i keep my nails trimmed and neat but the tips of my nails are all weird and not in line with the nail shape

B_diddydoo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i try to keep the toe nails lookin good too but my toes are kinda ugly looking so im like whats the point and end up just quickly trimming them instead of trying to make them nice, even and smooth

MagicJohnsonFan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
As a bi woman with longish nails, I've never had any complaints from other women about the length being a problem (and plenty of repeat visits so they must not have been lying!) but they do have nice, smooth edges.

As for men's nails, it completely grosses me out if a guy has long nails. That means anything more than the smallest bit of white. I don't care how clean they are, if they're long it will totally turn me off. For example, I think Sayeed (sp?) from LOST is hot, but every time they show his fingernails up close I cringe.

Dirty fingernails on anyone is disgusting and I would NEVER even consider being intimate with someone who has grimy hands. I'm not talking about an I-just-got-done-gardening-and-haven't-gone-in-to-wash-my-hands-yet moment here.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
in the interest of thread continuity: dyke manicure - short nails. filed and buffed. clean enough to perform surgery.

the queer girls are very concerned about hands in general. wash ya hands people.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My nails are horrible. I think it's due to many things. Partly because I bite them, partly hereditary (my mom had horrible nails too) and partly because I'm not getting enough of the right vitamins. They're clean. But the cuticles look like hell.
There's lotsa nail supplements. Check Dr. ronald Hoffman's site or Willner Chemists site!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
in the interest of thread continuity: dyke manicure - short nails. filed and buffed. clean enough to perform surgery.

the queer girls are very concerned about hands in general. wash ya hands people.

That made me laugh so hard, I only get the fancy one when I have a black tie event, other wise it's the same deal for me with out the buff. I just like how well a professional can maintain the cuticles.

Maruli

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just quit my lifetime-long habit of biting my nails. Now, I just keep them trimmed nice and neat. I can't see myself getting a manicure. Actually, I can't see myself PAYING for one!

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There's lotsa nail supplements. Check Dr. ronald Hoffman's site or Willner Chemists site!

I know there are... I just never stick with them. :redface: I've bought so many freakn nail/cuticle products, it's stupid. lol. I just don't think I care that much.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

OK I tried it...Well Phil was right, I can do it myself; but it takes an hour to do it just as well as they do it in the salon....I would rather pay the nice lady $20.00 and be able to sit back and relax!

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That made me laugh so hard, I only get the fancy one when I have a black tie event, other wise it's the same deal for me with out the buff. I just like how well a professional can maintain the cuticles.

you might be part lesbian, Dr. Nudeyorker :eek: i hear ya get if from your mother's side of the family.
:biggrin1:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
you might be part lesbian, Dr. Nudeyorker :eek: i hear ya get if from your mother's side of the family.
:biggrin1:

I think I am part lesbian, A friend of mine owns a gay bar in NY and each time I go there he says "Honey you are here on the wrong night lesbian night is on Tuesday!"