Fire!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HazelGod, Jan 1, 2008.

1. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    So, we're hanging out with some friends of ours for New Year's Eve festivities...lotsa fun, younger grownups with no kids, etc.

2am rolls around and the party is breaking up. Home is about 4 miles away. As we leave the party, the wife spots an odd glow coming from the direction we're headed...looks like fire.

We get within half a mile of the house, and we can see that there's an inferno within spitting distance of our neighborhood. Police have the road barricaded, and won't let me through. They assure me that the fire is in the grasslands and is contained...no homes are endangered.

I circle around and come upon the neighborhood from the back side...inside the perimeter, apparently. Flashing lights EVERYWHERE. Flames in the wild 100 yards from my front door. Multiple police cruisers, an ambulance, and a fire engine all parked right outside my house. Guys walking the brush with a suppression hose, dousing the flames (caused by fireworks and the extremely dry conditions in the Austin area). Santa brought the wife a nice camera, and I put it to use. I'll put some images up in a bit.

It's in the high 30's right now...I offered the brigade some fresh-brewed coffee, but none were taking.

2008 is off to an exciting start!

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Did ya break out the marsgmallows and have a sing song?

(no one got hurt, right?)

3. sedated

sedated New Member

OMG Hope everything is now all right!!! What about u guys, r u now more relax? 'cause If I was seeing all in front my home is burning I'll be in panic!

Peace!

4. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, yes...all the flames were extinguished....at least the ones in the grasses. No damage to life or property, thankfully. Me missus is about to take care of those that remain... :wink:

5. Osiris

Gold Member

WOW! Glad the homestead was safe man. Happy New Year.

6. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Glad to hear that you didn't lose your home. Fire is a 4 letter word here.

Draft saved Draft deleted