Firefox 3.0 is here!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't understand how Firefox is available for free. They can't make any money on it. I don't see any advertising either.

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I noticed it makes a huge difference in loading some sites. Doesn't take as long to load many of em for me anymore. :)

I've only noticed the new look and feel - haven't noticed speed improvements yet - might be more obvious to some depending on bandwidth and cpu.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't understand how Firefox is available for free. They can't make any money on it. I don't see any advertising either.

"They" in this case, are two entities:

• The Mozilla Foundation, which is a legally registered non-profit corporation. As a non-profit, they can't make money off their work. There are a few ways in which the Mozilla Foundation is restricted from promoting Firefox (as well as Thunderbird and other Mozilla offerings), so there is a separate legal entity:
  • The Mozilla Corporation, which is a taxable corporation that handles a few issues involving promotion, internationalization, and product tie-ins that the Foundation can't legally perform. According to Mozilla,
    Mozilla said:
    By forming a commercial subsidiary, the revenue-generating activities of the new entity can provide funds to support development, testing, and productization of the various Mozilla open source technologies. This benefits both end-users of Firefox and Thunderbird, and developers and others who want to use the Mozilla open source code in various ways. Having the Mozilla Corporation handle revenue-generating activities associated with these products also allows the Mozilla Foundation to achieve its goals while still itself remaining a tax-exempt organization. However, the Mozilla Corporation is not a typical commercial entity and will only pursue revenue-generating activities that are consistent with offering end-users with the best experience possible.
So, to answer your question: They're not making money off of it; that's not a goal of theirs.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Interesting. I just downloaded FF3 and I was surprised that I did not have to restart
my computer to use it. The only flaw so far was a problem with the Google
toolbar (spellcheck)

omgiswatdeysay

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Many a drunken night I've been there Hazel, lol. Pleasant for the most part, but still weird. I'm finding it easier to use and manipulate pages in ways I couldn't with FireFucks 2