First gay character on TV

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When you hold your magic sword aloft are any fabulous secret powers revealed to you, Lex?
They sure are. Had you gotten drunker in DC, I would have revealed them to you stud!:wink:

Alright, in fairness, in spite of the harness you're much straighter than He-Man.
He-Man was Man-At-Arms' bottom boy. Just don't tell Skeletor, that is one jealous queen.

I've never seen you in skin-tight pink pants before.
It's the same as spandex, only pink instead of red. Bulge and all.

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't believe that Maynard G. Krebbs, the beatnik on Dobie Gillis of the sixties, liked girls. Later that actor played Gilligan (so many Gilligan and Skipper jokes); I forget his name. But alas, the evidence is inconclusive for either character.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't believe that Maynard G. Krebbs, the beatnik on Dobie Gillis of the sixties, liked girls. Later that actor played Gilligan (so many Gilligan and Skipper jokes); I forget his name. But alas, the evidence is inconclusive for either character.

Bob Denver.

I never thought of Gilligan being gay, though. He was just a bumbling kid who kept screwing things up, including any interpretation of his tingling willy whenever Ginger hit on him.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yep... Billy Crystal on SOAP was the first regular gay character that was "out" that I am aware of. Paul Lynde was absolutely flaming but not actually "out" either besides the odd verbal innuendo. I don't think that Charles Nelson Reilly could play a straight man very well, so his role as Claymore Gregg was definitely on the "gay" side, but again, not actually "out". Designing Women was the first series to feature an openly gay character with AIDS though, I DO remember that the subject was treated with GREAT respect and dignity. I had forgotten about that on Dynasty... I was always busy checking out Cherlene Tilton's tight ass pants! lol!! That show was a little more socially complex than my little 10 year old brain could interpret.

Extremecummer

Sexy Member
Cammer
Media
Vincennes, Indiana, United States of America (the)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
1972 MADE-FOR-TV-MOVIE HAD POSITVE GAY THEME, PRIME CAST

We should remember the 1972, groundbreaking made-for-TV movie "That Certain Summer." It starred Hal Holbrook as a middle-aged man who divorced his wife (Hope Lange) and left his Los Angeles home and successful contracting business to move to San Francisco to widen his horizons -- being gay. He has a lover there, played by a very young Martin Sheen.

At one point his teenage son (Scott Jacoby) comes to San Francisco to be with his dad for a week or so. Holbrook "sanitizes" the apartment, sending his lover to his sister's home and putting tell-tale things away.

Unfortunately, Holbrook and Sheen had already scheduled a party, with a wide variety of people. At the party Holbrook accidentally drops his wristwatch into the apartment's large fishtank. His son volunteers to retrieve it.

When he takes it from the water he happens to read the "loving" inscription on the back. It was a present from Sheen to Holbrook. The son suddenly (finally) puts two and two together and can't cope with what he realizes ... he runs out of the party and disappears into the streets of San Francisco.

Former wife (Lange) flies up from LA to help find the boy. There is a great scene where the lover and the former wife are having coffee. It is very frank and honest. Finally the boy is located and he and his mother return to LA.

In the closing scene, Holbrook is sitting half way up his apartment's interior stairs, crying. Sheen walks up, back to the camera, puts his hand on Holbrook's shoulder and says: "Come on up to bed."

About 10 years ago I interviewed a much-older Martin Sheen about his portrayal of Gen. Robert E. Lee in the monumental movie "Gettysburg." I mentioned to him how grateful I was to have seen a positive portrayal of gay men on network television. Sheen said, "you're not the first gay man to have told me that. I'm proud to have been part of the movie."

The movie won a Golden Globe award. The screenplay was written by Richard Levinson, best remembered as having written the majority of the "Columbo" series with Peter Falk. I can't tell if it's available on video, but it is certainly worth hunting up and should be reshown on TV.

TONY RANDALL PIONEERED AS LONELY OLDER GAY MAN ON SIT-COM

In 1981 the networks aired a series called "Love, Sidney." It was about an older, lonely gay man, former artist, who takes in a divorced woman (Swoozie Kurtz) and her young daughter. Randall was a positive character in the series, despite his never having been married.

No mentioned were made about his homosexuality, except for one tearfully poignant moment when he mentions how much he misses his dead lover.

It was a great series, produced by Warner Brothers. Most historians say it was the first major attempt to have a mature, gay leading character. The show was short-lived, but it was nominated for three Golden Globe awards.

SULLEN BOOK LOOKED AT PORTRAYAL OF GAYS IN MOVIE HISTORY

I would also recommend reading the book "The Celluloid Closet: Homosexuality in the Movies." It's written by Vito Russo. Many years ago it was the basis of an entire half-hour "Siskel and Ebert" program. The book outlines several hundred gay characters in the history of the cinema, graphically pointing out that more than 96 percent of the gay characters were the "bad guys" and either ended up being killed or killing themselves.

Just some thoughts of a couple of early instances.
Dennis

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes, Paul Lynde was never actually out on Bewitched. He was just campy as hell. Even John Inman was never actually out. Everyone just assumed and the writers never let us think otherwise. We certainly never heard or saw anything on Are You Being Served?

The first Gay character (although it was only one episode) that I remember was on Mary Tyler Moore. Phylis(Spelling?), Mary's landlady and friend had a brother who was gay. The joke in the episode was that the only concern Phylis had with her brother was that she thought he was dating Rhoda when she wanted him to date (and most likely marry) Mary. When she found out that her brother was gay and only interested in Rhoda as a friend she was totally relieved. quote Rhoda: "Phylis, he's gay!

Phylis: "Oh thank god!"

Novaboy

basketbulge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had a huge crush on Kristy McNichol's "tomboy" character when she was on Family. Years later, everything fell into place when I learned that Kristy was a lesbian, and I liked sucking dick.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always thought William Daniels as Captain Nice (a.k.a. Carter Nash) was as gay as could be--his girlfriend seemed to be sort of a joke made to keep censors from tossing the show.

Also I had suspicions about DR.Bombay on Bewitched (portrayed by Bernard Fox)

coveryerteeth

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
About the gay Carrington on Dynasty . . .

Tho that show was an Aaron Spelling production, he had very little to do with the writing of it. It was largely the baby of Esther and Richard Shapiro.

The network initially commissioned it in an attempt to throw something against the wall to see if it would stick so they could come up with anything that might compete with the Dallas juggernaut. They toyed with making it a blatant rip-off (so much so that the project's original title was "Fort Worth" :rolleyes: ).

The gay character came about thru the Shapiros reactionary attempts to make a good, original show that was actually worth watching and the network begrudgingly went along with it. Once the show found a following, the network got gun shy and asked the Shapiros to "fix" his character. That's why he kept getting paired with female love interests (to appease the network) but they spun it to make it part of his character's personal conflict.

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hanne-Barbara Productions put the first gay couple on air in 1964, Jonny Quest, Dr. Benton Quest and "Race" Bannon rasing Johnny and the "adopted' Hadji.

Had Ben or Race had been live action, I would have jumped them.