"First Lady" spending

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Lightkeeper, Jan 26, 2010.

1. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

It is reported that never in the history of the White House has a "First Lady" spent so much on so many personal assistants, all paid from taxpayer dollars.

Michelle Obama has 26 on her staff with a cost of $1,256,770.00 annual salaries.

I thought we were in a recession! :mad:

2. mandoman

Gold Member

My wife saw this, and said "bull". When she researched it, Laura Bush was paying the same money, and had the same number of assistants. The real difference, besides chump change, was that the same people who work on Michelle also work on Barack.
    Urban myth, someone is trying to make them look bad, and whip up public ire, where none is deserved.

3. houtx48

Gold Member

you notice the Obama's have not had another date night to the theater in NYC, now there was some excessive spending.

4. Stephenmass

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why would date nights to the theater bother anyone?

5. beachboywb

beachboywb New Member

Albums:
    I wonder what he's spent in taxpayer's dollars in jet fuel flying all over the world doing some of this and some of that-----some of which can be done right from his comfy chair right in the oval office-------because not only does his 747 go out but there is a secondary 747 that follows as well----has to cost us a pretty penny and I'm just about to run out of penny's----what about you ??????

6. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Michelle Obama should never go out. She should be shackled in the White House basement in a hermetically sealed, reinforced concrete vault.

Unfortunately, since the Obama's share the same security, Mr. O will need to be shackled down there too. This is the only way to prevent each American taxpayer from coughing up a few bucks so keep them safe. He'll have his blackberry and a bowling alley for entertainment.

7. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    For fuck's sake.

Let's go back and eliminate Nixon's visits to China, Reagan's summits with Gorbachev, Carter's peace-brokering in Egypt, etc...

And let's forget all about the billions we gave to KBR and Blackwater. I'm sure you cried about that.

Christ.

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    ^^I know, right? :rolleyes:^^

9. beachboywb

beachboywb New Member

Albums:
    Hey SilverTrain in your memory how many past President's do you remember flying around doing Town Hall Meetings all over the Country???? Jetting up to New York and Chicago for date night????? 5 jets taken overseas for the obscure chance that their hometown may get the Olympics( what past presidents and first ladys have done that before ) keeping in mind that she took her staff with her and he took his along with the press corp along too with secret service and they both had limos and the full shabang-----I don't remember the last president and first lady doing something that outragous but if I'm wrong, I'll take my knocks-----In my view its just massive wasteful spending. Just like the last big trip to Copenhagen with everyone from the house and senate just the airfare alone was in excess of 10 million dollars and nothing was accomplished at the green summit---don't get me wrong I'm all for spending money if it's well spent when a job gets done, but if its wasted is when I have a problem with it.

10. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    So then you're outraged by taxpayer money paying multimillions in salaries to Blackwater employees when we have taxpayer-funded military already, right? Or the billions that went to KBR to construct facilities in Iraq that were sub-code-standard, lacking running water, proper sewage disposal, etc.? You objected to Bush hurriedly flying Bin Laden's family members on taxpayer-funded flights out of the US after the 9/11 attacks, right?................................................................................................................................................................

Or is this just you parroting some partisan manure you heard on Radio Hannity?

11. beachboywb

beachboywb New Member

Albums:
    But you still didn't answer my question ?????

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bush was too scared shitless of speaking without a script to do any townhall meetings.

What petty and increasingly irrelevant bunch you all are becoming.

#12 vince, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  13. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I answered it rhetorically.

Anyway....I have no idea how much our President has spent on travel. But frankly, until this "issue" was "created" by the Hannity-ites, most of us just took it for granted that the president's travel and security detail cost money.

Do you know how many taxpayer dollars we spend on the cleaning staff at the US Capitol? On food and entertainment for soldiers? On corporate subsidies for uber-wealthy corporations? etc., etc.

14. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

How many of us can afford to fly from Washington to New York for a "night out?"

15. lucky8

Gold Member

Does the word Iraq mean anything to you?

16. lucky8

Gold Member

What about TARP?

17. lucky8

Gold Member

Stimulus maybe?

18. midlifebear

Gold Member

Uh, how many times did President Arbusto (that's Spanish for bush for those who don't know) flew to Crawford, Texas just so he could catch up on his brush burning and nap time? W. Bush still holds the record for taking the most vacation time than any previous, or current, President. And here's a clue: he didn't drive from D.C. to Crawford in an electric golf cart. :biggrin1:

Edit: And beachboywb, I just done remembered. President Arbusto went stumpin' for McCain in the 747 Airforce One, not just one time but two times at the little airport in my part of the USA, Elko, Nevada. It was BIG news not because the President was a comin', but more because of Elko's very short tarmac. There was real concern a plane that big couldn't land. However, the Secret Service was more worried that the runway concrete wouldn't hold up. That was twice -- as in two times.

Oh, yeah . . . and correct me if I'm wrong, but Clinton didn't show up in Ewetaw for the 1992 Winter Olympics. I think he had a hair appointment or had to clean his kitchen oven or something. I may be wrong. He may have shown up. But I doubt it. The W. Bush, however, had to fly to China for that famous photo op where he's slapping the butt of one of the members of the US Women's Volley Ball team.

#18 midlifebear, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  19. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Uh, the asshat we just got rid of did a lot of that crap. Dubya:rolleyes:

20. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Each President gets an expense account for personal entertainment. None of this money is NOT in the budget already. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted