first time at a gay bar

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by drumstyck, Dec 23, 2007.

1. drumstyck

drumstyck New Member

(not sure which area this should be placed, feel free to move)

so last weekend, as you can assume by the thread title, i went to my first gay bar.

the group of the nite consisted of: myself (totally straight), a girl who was mostly straight but has hooked up with a few girls, another guy (totally gay), a lesbian and her bisexual girlfriend...if only we had a trannie, we could've combined to form the sexual Voltron.

we started the nite at a regular bar, but is was pretty dead, so we were kicking around ideas...i suggested karaoke, but didnt know of any places...the rest knew of a place, but werent sure if i'd be comfortable going cuz it was a gay bar...i had no problems with it, so off we went.

everyone was half-preparing/half-teasing me about it during the ride over, but it was all good-natured...and of course as we walked from the car i grabbed the straight girl's hand so as not to be completely emasculated when i walked in...which failed miserably, because as soon as we got in (reminding you that it was me, a gay guy, a lesbian and two bi-girls) it was ME that got recognized...just some guy i went to college with, no big deal...it was a quick "hey, we went to school together, right?" "yeah, hows it going" "not bad...merry christmas" and that was that...he was already out of the closet, so i guess he wasnt worried about me outing him or anything.

i did somehow manage to almost start a fight...my name got called for karaoke (i did Smooth Criminal for those who are curious) and i went to the stage, my path was blocked by a rather mannish girl...short spiky hair, kinda buff, sorta spreading her shoulders to appear dominant...so i tried to squeeze past but couldnt, i looked at her & just said "excuse me" and suddenly she went soft & said "sure thing babe"...so while performing, my friend's girlfriend was taking pix of me...so the mannish chick went to her & asked if i was her boyfriend...so my lesbian friend got mad that her gf was being hit on, and some drunken words were exchanged, and i was just wondering what the gay fight protocol is...am i allowed to hit a lesbian? there were some huge butch girls there too that prolly could've kicked my ass, so i wouldnt've known what to do.

anyway, that was settled by closing time, no violence,

overall it was an interesting experience...only one guy made eyes at me lol...but i honestly felt very relaxed, and i think it was cuz i realized that none of the attractive girls even cared i was there...normally when i see a cute girl, my mind is going over the various ways to introduce myself, conversational stuff, etc...but here it was like i knew beforehand they werent interesting, so i didnt have to stress over anything,

now if you'll excuse me, im gonna go build a tower made of iron and brawn, then blow it up, then shoot an animal, watch some sports, and make a baby.

2. Principessa

Gold Member

ROTFLMAO :biggrin1: Glad you had a good time. Were you in Asbury Park?

3. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good on ya, drumstyck. Way to rub some dirt on it and walk it off. :151:

4. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Yes, by all means, do go burnish your heterosexual credentials!:smile:

5. Draconis71

Gold Member

Albums:
    Shit, that don't sound like any "gay" bar I've been to.
    I tend to go to the "gay" bars to be left alone.
    Yup, straight, got a few of the regulars in the bar calling me "breeder", but, more joking than insulting, as long as I pay my tab, and am sociable/non-hostile.
    Oh, yah, and the "gay" bars usualy have the best prices for the topshelf liqueurs.. and they tend to have a better chance at having the "oddball" stuff I usually want to order. (can't get the shit in any other bars). Bartener jokes that the only other guys he serves the shit to is to tech support... wait a second... that's what I do... ;P
    Anyways, If you're in Ottawa, and do Karoke, I used to try, when I was using the bus system, and downtown, try Swizzles, on Queen street (No, SERIOUSLY) 246B Queen St., Ottawa, ON... (it's the basement)
    Anyways... The Lookout, in the market, last time I was there (3 years???) Got treated like people, not a wallet. (these guys served REV, a booze with caffiene) nuff said. Nothing wrong with walking into a gay bar, met a few guys from work at both spots, both didn't know I was "gay"... I was cruel, and broke their bubble. One of the guys I met tried to break MY bubble, and informed me that the place was a gay club. ;P (Like I gave a mouse's behind)

6. simcha

Gold Member

Yes, I love it when straight people come to "gay" bars. Here in the Bay Area it's quite common to have a mixed crowd at "gay" bars. I like it a lot. Usually it's the straight guys with whom I end up talking because there's no tension between us and it is just conversation and only about being drinking buddies. I wish more gay men were better at "hanging out" and having conversation over drinks just to have a pleasant time without an agenda to get into my pants, or be suspicious that I have the agenda to get into their pants.

7. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

That's hilarious. Cool the way you described the evening.

8. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

you forgot to mention drinking beer (American lager like Bud or Miller) straight out of the can or bottle, and belching

9. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Here, here, Simcha. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way -- everyone just needs to RELAX a bit

10. therunningman

therunningman New Member

Albums:
    Haha, too funny. What a good crowd to go with for your first time...

11. MovingForward

MovingForward Member

I know a bartender and he says on his days off him and his girlfriend will hit up the local gay bar because they have the best happy hour specials.

12. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

I've been to a gay bar before

I bumped into a girl I used to fancy at high school

awkward moment...

13. mickswim

mickswim New Member

Albums:
    be yopurself no matter what ....]\
    be normal

woo9pes= pee

be yhourself :) woof

14. mickswim

mickswim New Member

Albums:
    if u can go to a bar these days and pee
    u can go to a bar these days....

15. mickswim

mickswim New Member

Albums:
    jerez - who cares ?
    jeez -

16. beretta8

Gold Member

Albums:
    yes it would be a nice to go out even to a neighborhood gay bar and not be immediately hit on or bitch attacked because perhaps yer better looking than what usually comes through the door... I prefer straight bars this point in my life......If Im out I just wanna chill and talk and have a good time....sometimes thats too much to ask.....ha theres my rant for the rest of the year!!!!!!

cheers to you straight guys that can walk into a situation like a gay bar and handle yourselves with class

17. cklover

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gay bars ARE a bit unusual, even disorienting for the unitiated...hetero or homo. My first time, in one when I was struggling to accept it all, I walked in and within minutes was :eek::eek::eek::eek:. So unlike the hetero world in which I grew up. It must be much more so for hetero men who venture in for a walk on the wild side. Hetero women, not all liberal and accepting as they've been portrayed, had to get over their shock too. But, eventually, one becomes used to it all!:smile: (and those adventurous heteros will always enjoy gawking:wink:)

18. cocktaste

Gold Member

You got eyes from one guy? That's depressing. :p

19. lvsxy808

Gold Member

Albums:
    You went to a gay bar, whoop-de-frigging-doo.

Here's my problem:

Of course you're not allowed to hit a lesbian. You're not allowed to hit anybody.

It doesn't matter how butch those lesbians are, and I will grant some of them are feisty lil things who probably could kick your ass.

But this, to generalize horribly, is my main problem with straight men. Why the hell do you assume you have to fight anybody? Why is that the first place your mind goes? Why, when you're in a place dedicated to enjoyment and relaxation, do you have to bring the concept of violence into it? Even if you don't go through with it, the fact that your mind automatically goes in that direction is phenomenally annoying and depressing to me.

This is why straight women love to go to gay bars so much - because there are no straight men trying to beat people up all the time.

20. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    The first time I went to a gay bar was in 1995. The girlfriend at the time was a model. She was Swedish and stunningly beautiful - 6 feet tall, body to die for, blonde hair, crystal green eyes. She had lots of gay friends and so we met them at the gay bar.
    I had never been before and was certain I would get mauled. lol. NOPE.
    I couldn't have gotten looked at if I set myself on fire. Mind you I was not looking to get mauled, but I figured I could at least have some pleasant conversation. Nope. Even the waiters were rude to me lol. The girlfriend had no end of fun dancing with her gay friends. But I have not been treated so rudely anyplace, ever in my life.
    I worked as a waiter at a gay resort for a coule of weeks. And there I did get mauled every night. I did not care for that. But I made a LOT of money. lol.
    I have been to a gay bar from time to time to hit on the hot, single girls who go there with their gay friends. When that doesn't work, I find that hanging out with and talking with the gay guys is pretty cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted