Fish Oil/Omega3-fatty acids - yuck

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
so i went for my annual check up last week, everything is fine, but my doctor advised me, as an ex smoker (quit-8 years ago) and just in general that i should be taking a daily Fish Oil/Omega3 Fatty Acid softgel...

i hate fish, cannot stand them, never eat them (though i have nothing against them on a personal level and still feel badly to this day about the Mahi-mahi that i caught...then when i asked the Mexican captain of our charter to release the fish, he looked at me and laughed...and then clubbed it in the head a couple of times and threw it in the cooler)

so anyway, i took my first Fish Oil/Omega3 fatty acid softgel this morning at around 7:00 AM...it has been nearly 4 and a half hours, and i have a slight headache, and have been belching incessantly and tasting fish oil for all that time.

This is utterly horrible...somebody who takes this, please tell me it stops or gets better. :frown1:

there has to be some other kind isn't there, with coating, that maybe doesn't get released until it is almost out of my system?

fuck you, fishes. :mad:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I hate fish oil too. My mum use to make us take Cod-liver oil... yuck.

But there is an easy solution. Flax seed oil is nearly as good a source of Omega 3 fatty acids as fish oil. It tastes good too. Kinda of a nutty flavor. I put it in my whey shakes, in salad dressing or just down it straight off the spoon. No need for capsules. They recommend 1 tablespoon per day, which is a heck of a lot of caps. So it's economical as well. Just don't cook with it as the Omega 3's get broken down.

Udo's is the best.

http://www.udoerasmus.com/firstscreen.htm

Last edited:

laughatbig

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Good question, yes there is a better kind. I take soft gel fish oil tablets twice a day with a meal and I get them from CVS. The brand name is Natures Made and they decrease fish burps and have no side affects what so ever.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
thanks for all the advice...

I have heard about the flaxseed, but does it provide the exact same type of stuff as the Omega 3/Fish?

i would much rather take that, does the source (fish vs. seeds) matter?

i have certainly heard of athletes taking flaxseed...

Torque8

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Bumble Bee makes an enteric coated Fish Oil/Omega 3 capsule in 1,200 mg doses. The enteric coat is to control odor and prevent aftertaste. Have taken them daily, right beforre a meal, for over 3 years and never once noted any ill effect.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good question, yes there is a better kind. I take soft gel fish oil tablets twice a day with a meal and I get them from CVS. The brand name is Natures Made and they decrease fish burps and have no side affects what so ever.

I have the soft gel Meg3 Fish Oil EPA-DHA from the "Vitamin Shoppe"

It contains no yeast, corn wheat sugar salt starch, dairy citrus and no preservatives or artificial colors colors or flavors

it contains gelatin glycerin and purified water (the gel cap part)

and then Soy and Fish - sardine, anchovy, mackerel, salmon, sprat, clupea :frown1::frown1::frown1:

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
thanks for all the advice...

I have heard about the flaxseed, but does it provide the exact same type of stuff as the Omega 3/Fish?

i have certainly heard of athletes taking flaxseed...

Flaxseed oil can sometimes turn into omega 3 in the body (sometimes your body won't turn it effeciently)

You can get Fish Oil that avoids the fish burps. Find softgels enteric coated, which minimizes any “fishy” aftertaste. And Created from the oils of cold water, deep sea fish and Made with Fish Oil, which is molecularly distilled to remove mercury, PCBs and other heavy metal contaminants - you will often see "Mercury Free"

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bumble Bee makes an enteric coated Fish Oil/Omega 3 capsule in 1,200 mg doses. The enteric coat is to control odor and prevent aftertaste. Have taken them daily, right beforre a meal, for over 3 years and never once noted any ill effect.

thank you torque...that is the name i could not remember: "enteric coated"

apparently, the coating insures that the digestion occurs a bit later in the digestive process.

my slight headache is gone, but i am still belching.

did you belch at first with the coated ones, or not at all/very rarely?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flaxseed oil can sometimes turn into omega 3 in the body (sometimes your body won't turn it effeciently)

You can get Fish Oil that avoids the fish burps. Find softgels enteric coated, which minimizes any “fishy” aftertaste. And Created from the oils of cold water, deep sea fish and Made with Fish Oil, which is molecularly distilled to remove mercury, PCBs and other heavy metal contaminants - you will often see "Mercury Free"

thanks trinity...

i see "Molecularly Distilled" right on the front label of my bottle, so that is good.

but i see nothing about the enteric coating, even though this brand is soft gels...or it being mercury free...(though i assume that is what the molecular distilling is )

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
so i went for my annual check up last week, everything is fine, but my doctor advised me, as an ex smoker (quit-8 years ago) and just in general that i should be taking a daily Fish Oil/Omega3 Fatty Acid softgel...

i hate fish, cannot stand them, never eat them (though i have nothing against them on a personal level and still feel badly to this day about the Mahi-mahi that i caught...then when i asked the Mexican captain of our charter to release the fish, he looked at me and laughed...and then clubbed it in the head a couple of times and threw it in the cooler)

so anyway, i took my first Fish Oil/Omega3 fatty acid softgel this morning at around 7:00 AM...it has been nearly 4 and a half hours, and i have a slight headache, and have been belching incessantly and tasting fish oil for all that time.

This is utterly horrible...somebody who takes this, please tell me it stops or gets better. :frown1:

there has to be some other kind isn't there, with coating, that maybe doesn't get released until it is almost out of my system?

fuck you, fishes. :mad:

Flashy, get a brand called Barlean's. It is the absolute BEST and HIGHEST quality premium fish oil that you can buy. They taste and smell like oranges and they slide REALLY fast down your throat and don't hang around in your esophagus taking awhile to slide down. You can get them at Amazon if you like to shop there.

Here's their website. It is a family owned and run business and their products are of the highest quality. I buy them at my local Vitamin Shoppe, but you might be able to find them at your local health food store too. GNC doesn't carry them and most pharmacies don't either.

You will never burp fish oil or experience any problem whatsoever with this brand, there's no way that I would steer you wrong. :smile:

Torque8

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
thank you torque...that is the name i could not remember: "enteric coated"

apparently, the coating insures that the digestion occurs a bit later in the digestive process.

my slight headache is gone, but i am still belching.

did you belch at first with the coated ones, or not at all/very rarely?

I've never belched, had heartburn, a headache or any adverse reaction. I always make sure to take it with other supplements prior to eating.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've never belched, had heartburn, a headache or any adverse reaction. I always make sure to take it with other supplements prior to eating.

I actually take me fish oil and garlic supplements between bites of my breakfast... those big honkin' pills go down better with food. Taking them before you eat is just as good. :smile:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Take them with a citrus juice to conquer fish burps. If you take them in the evening you'll benefit even more. Omega-3 fatty acids are brain food and work best while you sleep.

^ What she said...I've have been taking them for years, make sure you buy the mercury free.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

In addition to the various suggestions about which brand of fish oil to take, you can also put the capsules in your freezer and take them frozen. That way, the capsule won't open until it reaches your small intenstine.

If you're trying to increase your intake of Omega 3 to control your cholesterol levels, then fish oils is significantly more effective than flaxseed oil.

Also, flaxseed oil may have a number of undesirable side-effects, particularly for men. For example, there's a controversial link between flaxseed oil and increased risk of prostate cancer.

According to everything I've read, eating actual flaxseeds is safer and more effective than taking flaxseed oil, in part because the seeds also contain a lot of fiber and protein. However, both the seeds and the oil can have a laxative effect, so don't eat too much.

If you are going to use flaxseed oil, look for the kind with high lignan content. For better absorbtion, take it with foods that have oil in them.

Flax Seed Oil versus Fish OilHealth Diet, Fit Body Blog Post- MSN Health & Fitness
A Flaxseed Oil Risk for Men?
Flaxseed and Flaxseed Oil: Seeds of Good Health? -
Side Effects of Flaxseed Oil