Fit 'n Fat Men

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Martin van Burden, Oct 23, 2002.

1. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I ran across a top-five and bottom-five ranking for the cities that produce the most fit men in the United States.

STUDS
    1. Honolulu, Hawaii
    2. San Jose, California
    3. Rochester, New York
    4. Santa Ana, California
    5. Grand Rapids, Michigan

DUDS
    5. Memphis, Tennessee
    4. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    3. New Orleans, Louisiana
    2. Nashville, Tennessee
    1. Atlanta, Georgia

2. Imported

Gold Member

TooDamnBig: How on earth was this determined?

I can't imagine that this was a scientific survey.

3. D_Martin van Burden

Here's an excerpt:

So says Men's Health magazine, which has ranked various U.S. cities as the "healthiest" for men. One of the criteria is the prevalence among the male population of physical fitness training. Others are variables that affect a man's health, such as the prevalence of heart disease and prostate cancer, the number of car accidents, and the air quality...

No information is available on the way in which the magazine ascertained the findings.

4. ericbear

Gold Member

Albums:
    I live in Santa Ana, which made #4 on the list, so the local papers had quite a bit to say about this.  It was mostly based on data culled from the CDC database regarding health issues in each city.  Statistics like body mass, as well as the incidence of things like prostate cancer,  were ranked in various cities to come up with the list.

Some local health professionals said the ranking was nonsense.  For example, in the case of Santa Ana, someone noted that the population has a large share of youngish immigrants, and that many of these do heavy physical labor.  So, the metrics used in the study could also point to the obvious fact that kids don't get prostate cancer, and men who do strenuous physical labor tend to be in good shape, rather than there being anything magic about the city itself.  The group that did the study, when confronted with this, insisted that the study was done in such a way as to avoid being skewed by these factors, but didn't explain how.  

You can read more from Santa Ana's Orange County Register at this link to the article "Santa Ana is where the healthy men are":

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=8107&section=LOCAL&year=2002&month=10&day=22

5. Imported

Gold Member

Finedessert: In days gone by when I used to close the bars, there was one guy who came in the bar pissed as all get out, seems that he had a full physical that day, and his Doctor told him that he was obesed, Well, this guy was going to show that Doctor a thing or two, so in a year he lost 280# he now weights 185#.

Now that's getting fit. 8)

Grandpa

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Men's Health is one of those snobby magazines that insists that studs only drink the best wines, nosh only on the most expensive, imported cheeses and attend the opera, while duds (read: southerners [with the exception of Phillie]) drink beer from the can, eat Cheetos straight from the bag and go to NASCAR races.

Sometime, somewhere, the mainstream media lost its idea of just who is the typical American male. He's not the $200,000 per year Wall St. banker or the $100,000 per year corporate vice-president who live in an exclusive neighborhood and own 4 cars.

The average American male is a husband and father, part-time t-ball coach and 150-average bowler who mows his own lawn, shares the mini-van with his wife when his 10-year-old pickup truck is in the shop, and works overtime to pull in $40,000 per year.

Pecker

7. Imported

Gold Member

balls: Hey, that's me!!

8. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I'll stick with New Orleans, thank you very much! Regardless of what that 'study' might claim, I find to studs:duds ratio here quite favourable! And in the Big Easy it's no problem finding fine French wines or imported cheeses and other delicacies. Plus, New Orleans has a kickass opera company!

9. D_Martin van Burden

Hey, ease up. You can like your cheeses and wines and opera and French Quarter all you want. Don't kill the messenger, already, geez.

10. Imported

Gold Member

mr17yearold: this article was talked about on the radio like yesterday(october 24th) in sacramento, and i didnt get to hear it all but it also had to do with the single women-to-men ratio...i really want to move to honolulu now ;)

11. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I'm really not trying to beat up on you, Dee ... just speaking up in favour of the city I've chosen to call home!
    8)

12. Imported

Gold Member

bairdoman: [quote author=bilbobagginsx link=board=99;num=1035418224;start=0#5 date=10/24/02 at 07:30:45]He's not the $200,000 per year Wall St. banker or the $100,000 per year corporate vice-president who live in an exclusive neighborhood and own 4 cars.[/quote]

There are more people like that than you would think. And I think you were also right about the thing with more people like, normal, but look at the population maps, see where most people are, and realize they're not concentrated in Oklahoma. Most people in the US are well off, live near cities, and do well. That's why we're such a rich country.

13. Imported

Gold Member

blak9: Atlanta, number 1?

Well, maybe for men, but I think our fine women make up for that.

Anyway, Men's Health is actually a pretty good magazine with useful tips on working out, job security, etc. I think that they used a number of factors ranging from the number of gym memberships to the number of auto fatalities. One reason that the South is over represented on the least healthy list could be because of the delicious southern cuisine that I can't get enough of. Deep fried cornbread, collards, fried chicken, homemade apple pie. Mmm-mmm!

14. D_Martin van Burden

Blak: Same reason why I love the South -- the food -- and the girls -- Freaknik!

15. Imported

Gold Member

Finedessert: "conbread," And just where is that served....LOL

What no GRITS ?

Grandpa

16. Imported

Gold Member

bigsoft: As a transplanted Yankee, I have lived in both the North and the South, I prefer the South. Had several opportunities to transfer back North, but turned them down.

Love it here, y'all.

17. HungArnold

HungArnold New Member

do not trust surveys of that nature - they are all crap

Draft saved Draft deleted