Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Just started fitness swimming November 1. My goal is to develop some upper body muscles. Lose some weight. Anybody else have experience hitting the pool at age 58.

Been swimming five days a week averaging about 1000 m per swim. I can tell that I’ve been getting a lot of upper body strength that I did not have before.

Another benifit of swimming you have to be wearing your Speedo jammers. Not quite the physique yet for speedo Briefs.

Attachments

Sdamper

Experimental Member
Media
Great job getting out there and swimming. I feel it is an awesome cardio workout since it involves a lot of upper and lower body muscles. Which strokes do you usually swim? I suggest incorporating IM into your sets. Also, getting fins or swim paddles will increase the resistance for your swims

Btw, your physique is ready for Speedos! Or at least drag short Speedos haha

kcdave

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The jammer photo was from last May before I took up lap swimming

Mainly doing breaststroke, and front crawl. My breathing has gotten so much better since I started swimming. I understand I should try to reduce my breathing and increase strokes between taking breaths. I don’t know any other strokes. I have tried backstroke but does not work for me. I guess I should take some masters lessons.

I had been averaging about 110 miles a month running. But felt during the winter I should cross train so I added the swimming. Glad I did that but my running miles are down since I began swimming. I do run during the winter indoors. On an indoor track.

Reactions: Bondi and Sdamper

Sdamper

Experimental Member
Media
Oh cool, I used to own a pair a few years ago but they wore out so I started using drag short Speedos.

Yeah, I suggest either going to a master's swim program or try learning via YouTube. Butterfly really works out the upper body and is fun and rewarding once you nail down the form.

Impressive! I have tried running before as cardio but found it put too much pressure on my joints. Great to see you are doing both!

Reactions: kcdave and Bondi

kcdave

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Just did a lunchtime swim. Did my 1000 meters. I have to tell you there’s nothing better The feel of speedo jammers gliding through the water. I also noticed that almost all the lap swimmers are wearing Speedo briefs or jammers. A lot of great looking male physiques helping me that she is my fitness goals.

Dutchstud

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Swimming can be boring: at a certain moment you have said hello to every single tile in the pool. Going to a fitness centre is even more boring. To me that is. But when going to the pool is part of your routine it is a good replacement for fitness.

There is a "but"... in the story: the more perfect your technique, the more you need to swim. A clumsy non-aerodynamic swimmer has to burn far more energy to make the same lap than a swimmer with a great technique: the last one will glide through the water, paradoxically he has to swim more to burn the same calories.

kcdave

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
My technique is not very good but I do feel like I’m doing better with my strokes. Today I swam 1250 yards, 56 mins, burned 716 cal.

It’s becoming addictive. Just love putting on my speedo‘s and swimming