FIve Classical favorites for my IPOD List

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,

I want to revamp my IPOD. It was given to me preloaded and I am not feeling it at all! LOL! So I am asking for suggestions for my new play list. I want the ultimate classical playlist. So....I am asking that everyone list at least 5 favorite pieces....It can be any period but I prefer that it be classical instrumental. I may start another one for vocal....:biggrin1:

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hi,

I want to revamp my IPOD. It was given to me preloaded and I am not feeling it at all! LOL! So I am asking for suggestions for my new play list. I want the ultimate classical playlist. So....I am asking that everyone list at least 5 favorite pieces....It can be any period but I prefer that it be classical instrumental. I may start another one for vocal....:biggrin1:

Classical huh ? I assume you don't mean Hendrix,Zeppelin and the Who ?

ok. I'm partial to
The Flowers duet from lakme by leo delibes,
Mozart's Eine Kein Natchmusik ( serenade in k )
Handel 's Messiah (some vocals, sorry )
Beethoven's 9th symphany
Handel's Water music and music for Royal Fireworks

Hope this helps

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am a classical musician, but can't come up with something I know you'd like. Everyone's tastes are so different. But you may want to try some Mahler Symphonies for the heavier listening, or some Mozart concertos (I am partial to the winds - flute, horn, clarinet or bassoon).
I tend to do much more playing than listening, though, so I look forward to seeing what others post here.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am a classical musician, but can't come up with something I know you'd like. Everyone's tastes are so different. But you may want to try some Mahler Symphonies for the heavier listening, or some Mozart concertos (I am partial to the winds - flute, horn, clarinet or bassoon).
I tend to do much more playing than listening, though, so I look forward to seeing what others post here.

That is a great start now go back and come up with 5 manageable pieces! LOL! (ie Debussy's Beau Soir or Grieg's Solveig's Song)

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Georg Philip Telemann - Sinfonia in F, recorder, viola and orchestra
Siciliano and Allegro

Luigi Boccherini - Cello concerto in B flat
Antonio Vivaldi - any of the violin concertos
Antonin Dvorak - Slavonic Dances
Robert Schumann - Kinderszenen

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry, I didn't know about the IPOD's capabilities or your already vast knowledge of musical repetoire (just saw your "This or That" posts!). I will chime in with the Saint-Saens Bassoon Sonata, but I don't know how you can find a recording.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry, I didn't know about the IPOD's capabilities or your already vast knowledge of musical repetoire (just saw your "This or That" posts!). I will chime in with the Saint-Saens Bassoon Sonata, but I don't know how you can find a recording.

Are you a bassoonist? I played the oboe:biggrin1:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My taste in Classical is fairly mainstream... How about:

Copland's Appalachian Spring
Schoenberg's Transfigured Night
Ravel's Spanish Rhapsody
Rimsky Korsakov's Russian Easter Overture
and Faure's Pavane

can't go wrong with that mix!!!!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Classical huh ? I assume you don't mean Hendrix,Zeppelin and the Who ?

ok. I'm partial to
The Flowers duet from lakme by leo delibes,
Mozart's Eine Kein Natchmusik ( serenade in k )
Handel 's Messiah (some vocals, sorry )
Beethoven's 9th symphany
Handel's Water music and music for Royal Fireworks

Hope this helps

I could give you the biggest kiss for The Flowers duet alone! How marvelous!

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mozart concierto for clarinet in A (I love movement II)
Bach The Coffee Cantata Suite (I love movement II)
Bach Wachet Auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Wake up, calls to us the voice~ I have never heard a sung version, but I know this has words- it's a cantata. I love Sleepers Awake! I think it's the fourth part. )
Tchikovsky The Nutcracker Suite (It may be a cliche, but not without reason! My favorite part is in the Character Dances, particularly Coffee, the Arabian Dance.)
Mozart Requiem Mass in D minor (Maybe he wrote it all, maybe he didn't. Who cares? It's gold. As a mass, it is a choral work. I've never heard it without voices. I know that's not what you asked for, but it is in my top five, for sure.)
Mendelssohn A Midsumer Night's Dream (Okay, okay. I'm still disobediant. But all the best versions I've heard had no speakers, no singers, just beautiful instrumentals. My favorite part is the Nocturne.)
Bizet Symphony in C; L'Arlesienne Suites 1 & 2 (My favorite part is the very end:Farandole. I guess I just have a thing for Christmas music! )

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
R. Strauss - Don Juan
Stravinsky - The Rites of Spring
Beethoven - Choral Fantasie Op.80
Brahms -Violin Concerto in D. Major, Op. 77
Crumb - Ancient Voices of Children
Holst - The Planets, Op 32 Mars, the Bringer of War
Takemitsu - Death and Resurrection for Strings
Barber - Adagio for Strings
Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe
Keith Emerson (ELP) - Piano Concerto No. 1, Movement 1 Allegro Giacoso

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, off the top of my lil' head -

Bach, French Overture in B minor, BWV 831. I like Trevor Pinnock's recording on Archiv.

Bach, Concerto in D Major for 3 harpsichords, BVW 1063. A 1963 recording of a performance by the Leonhardt Consort is by far the best I know of this.

Leopold Stokowski's reconstruction of Mussorgsky's original score for Night on Bald Mountain - not the usual score as completed after Mussorgsky's death by Rimsky-Korsakov, which is relatively tame. The London Symphony recording is dyno.

Chopin, Heroic Polonaise. I like Artur Rubenstein's 1964 Carnegie Hall performance.

Messaien, Quartet for the End of Time. Just for something different. Any performance will do, they're all kind of weird.

The next batch would be any five harpsichord sonatas by Domenico Scarlatti. Anything from Fernando Valenti's dozen Scallatti records for Westminster would be good. Valenti makes everyone else's Scarlatti sound dull.