FIve Classical favorites for my IPOD List

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I am very late to this party, but for what it is worth the five instrumental pieces that get the most play on my Ipod are:

Trois Gymnopedies by Satie
Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini
Smetna's The Bartered Bride Overture
Finale from Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 (New World Symphony)
Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin

Looking forward to your lists about choral and vocal music, which is my more to my taste.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
Barber's Adagio
Ravel's Bolero
Paginini for beautiful violins
Wagner for some powerful stuff, Entrance of the Gods, and Flight of Val.
Handel..Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks.

I just got a 5.5G 80Gig video, so am also going to be looking for a couple of classic movies to add to mine.

I must admit I am short on classics on mine.

When I got my Walkman one of the first tapes, the Beatles White Album, moved to a CD player, first CD...the White Album. iPod...first download, you guessed it...the White Album. I keep moving with Tech, but some things, or albums are modern classics, as is Sergeant Pepper.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Classical music, that was what they had before Bruce Springsteen, right?

I'm not exactly an expert on that, but let me forward a tip from a friend who has more insight in this. She suggests Mahler's symphony No. 2, it has "orgasmic structures", whatever that means.

Just passing this on. :biggrin1:

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
Some of my current favorites are:

• Philip Glass - Symphony # 3
  • Stravinksy's - The Rite of Spring
  • Bach - Brandenburg Concertos
  • Satie - Les Trois Gymnopedies
  • Shostakovich - Symphony # 5

Over the years, I shifted primarily to 20th century classical music to study (relatively) new themes and composers.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was going to say Don Juan, too. I'm not sure how I got it, but it's Sir Georg Solti conducting the Chicago Symphony. I wasn't even aware that it was in my collection until hearing it on my iPod Shuffle one night. Jeezus, what a brass section...

Also, Rite Of Spring -- if you can find the recording of Sir Simon Rattle and the Birmingham (U.K.) symphony, you'll have found possibly the clearest, tightest ensemble recording of the piece.

The BBC Orchestra put together a fantastic rendition of Holst's The Planets, too.

Now, on with the jokes...

In the minimalist thread
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Knock knock!
Who's there?
etc

Philip Glass.

OOOOO...I can't believe no-one has mentioned John Cage 4'33" yet. A classic of modern music and so downloadable to the I-Pod.

Knock knock!
Who's there?

(silence)

STYLYUNG

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
" To A Wild Rose" by Edward MacDowell Piano
" Nocturne in e-flat major " Franz Lizst Piano
" Liebistraum" (sp?) Franz Lizst Piano
" Molly On The Shore" Percy Grainger Piano or Orchestra versions
" Humoresque " By??? Piano
and
"Beat Me Daddy--Eight ToThe Bar!" to lighten things up. :biggrin1:

Media
Ralph Vaughan Williams—Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Ralph Vaughan Williams— Fantasia on Greensleeves.
Ralph Vaughan Williams—Serenade to Music for sixteen solo voices and orchestra, a setting of Shakespeare.
Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky—Serenade For Strings
Norman Dello Joio—Variations, Chaconne, And Finale (Orchestral version based on piano Sonata No. 3)

Igor Stravinsky—Symphony of Psalms
Gustav Mahler—Symphony 5, adagietto
Gustav Mahler—Symphony 9 (Adagio. Sehr langsam und zurückhaltend. Trivia for all you Somewhere In Time fans.The music in Richard Matheson's original book, Bid Time Return, was originally this adagio and not the Rachmanininoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. It is positively haunting to read the book with the Mahler adagio playing.)
Gustav Mahler—Symphony 10 (Performing version of Deryck Cooke)

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ralph Vaughan Williams—Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Ralph Vaughan Williams— Fantasia on Greensleeves.
Ralph Vaughan Williams—Serenade to Music for sixteen solo voices and orchestra, a setting of Shakespeare.
Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky—Serenade For Strings
Norman Dello Joio—Variations, Chaconne, And Finale (Orchestral version based on piano Sonata No. 3)

Igor Stravinsky—Symphony of Psalms
Gustav Mahler—Symphony 5, adagietto
Gustav Mahler—Symphony 9 (Adagio. Sehr langsam und zurückhaltend. Trivia for all you Somewhere In Time fans.The music in Richard Matheson's original book, Bid Time Return, was originally this adagio and not the Rachmanininoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. It is positively haunting to read the book with the Mahler adagio playing.)
Gustav Mahler—Symphony 10 (Performing version of Deryck Cooke)

I love this list. I was waiting for someone to include R Vaughn Williams. :biggrin1:

Media
Claude Debussy—[SIZE=-1]La cathédrale engloutie
Johannes Brahms—Six Piano Pieces, Op. 118
Frederic Chopin—Ballade for Piano No. 4 in F Minor, Op. 52
Samuel Barber—[/SIZE]Overture To 'The School For Scandal
[SIZE=-1]Samuel Barber—[/SIZE]Knoxville: Summer of 1915 (Leontyne Price)
[SIZE=-1]Samuel Barber—[/SIZE]Hermit Songs (Sanford Sylvan)

http://www.cduniverse.com/classical...=510856736&style=classical&ctype=work&exact=y

STYLYUNG

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Ralph Vaughn-Williams " A Lark Assending "

Vaughn-Williams "Ralph" is pronounced "Rafe" . Of course, we all knew that, right?:smile:

STYLYUNG

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
No, I couldn't, naughty, naughty me; and I thank Stylyung for including it. I have been smiling about that title all day—it is a true classic! Have any more of those, Stylyung?

Sam, I am sure that I heard and saw Betty Hutton do "Beat Me Daddy" live on stage in a theatre in Indianapolis back when Hutton was just a kid, as I was at the time. She was the singer with the Vincent Lopez Band. Her then fame came from being crowned the worlds champion jitterbug before joinning Lopez. Her movie, "Annie Get Your Gun" is a classic. The world lost Betty Hutton two weeks ago,

My rendition of "My Mamma Done Told Me" would really send you---but I have let my vocal pipes get rusty, so you will have to imagine the rest. With your vocal abilities, why don't you work on that one? Just sound tearful and you'll have it made! :biggrin1:

Media
"O fortuna" by Carl Orff

Good one! Thanks for posting that!

Carl Orff—Carmina Burana
Johannes Brahms—[SIZE=-1]Ein Deutsches Requiem
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Maurice Duruflé[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]—Requiem
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Dave Brubeck[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]—The Beatitudes
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Ralph Vaughan Williams[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]—Five Mystical Songs for Baritone and Chorus.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Johann Sebastian Bach[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]—Magnificat in D (with four additions from the Magnificat in E flat)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Johann Sebastian Bach[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]—Cantata Nr. 56 "Ich will den Kreuzstab gerne Tragen"
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Johann Sebastian Bach[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]—Cantata Nr. 82 "Ich Habe Genug"

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Post 2900[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sam, I am sure that I heard and saw Betty Hutton do "Beat Me Daddy" live on stage in a theatre in Indianapolis back when Hutton was just a kid, as I was at the time. She was the singer with the Vincent Lopez Band. Her then fame came from being crowned the worlds champion jitterbug before joinning Lopez. Her movie, "Annie Get Your Gun" is a classic. The world lost Betty Hutton two weeks ago,

My rendition of "My Mamma Done Told Me" would really send you---but I have let my vocal pipes get rusty, so you will have to imagine the rest. With your vocal abilities, why don't you work on that one? Just sound tearful and you'll have it made! :biggrin1:

I love doing "My Momma Done Told me" I also love "Get Happy" and "MInnie the Moocher". Since I am not Judy I decided to keep the pants of my Zoot suit on! LOL! She did look stunning in the Pin striped jacket though, didnt she?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"o fortuna" by carl orff

(dunno if it's been said, i didn't feel like goin through 4 pages >_>)

Good one, Nixxy. The subtitle for that one is "Wheel of Fortune" I love Carmina Burana. I really love the aria "In Trutina" and the Dulcisime that follows... I bet no one knows what was going on there? LOL! :biggrin1: