Five favorite childhood books

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I loved the work of Roald Dahl: Matilda, Boy, The Witches, The BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. I was delighted recently when I saw one of my students had a copy of George's Marvelous Medicine translated into Korean.
I loved Shel Silverstein: a Light in the Attic, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Giving Tree.
I very much liked the book A Wrinkle in Time.
I liked C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.
They're not exactly children's books, but I used to love Craig Shaw Gardner's books in the Cinverse Cycle and the Ballad of Wuntvor.
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (of which The Black Cauldron is the most famous story)
Charolette's Web
recently I've discovered I very much enjoy Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events books. They are extremely clever and well written and work on multiple levels, fun for the adults reading them as well as the children listening to them at story time. Though they were not published until after I was no longer a child.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I loved the work of Roald Dahl: Matilda, Boy, The Witches, The BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. I was delighted recently when I saw one of my students had a copy of George's Marvelous Medicine translated into Korean.
I loved Shel Silverstein: a Light in the Attic, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Giving Tree.
I very much liked the book A Wrinkle in Time.
I liked C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.
They're not exactly children's books, but I used to love Craig Shaw Gardner's books in the Cinverse Cycle and the Ballad of Wuntvor.
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (of which The Black Cauldron is the most famous story)
Charolette's Web
recently I've discovered I very much enjoy Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events books. They are extremely clever and well written and work on multiple levels, fun for the adults reading them as well as the children listening to them at story time. Though they were not published until after I was no longer a child.

YOu know, I guess I was thinking more in terms of early childhood but I still love well illustrated childrens books and collect them by Illustrator. I wish Chris Van Allsburg had been around when I was a child. My favorites by him are "The Sweetest Fig" and "THe Mysteries of Harris Burdick"

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I have some problems remembering the books I read as a child.
I know the first book I read was Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Margaret Henry, the story of a donkey who lived in the Grand Canyon.
I read many Hardy Boys books, beginning with The Mystery of the Old Mill. (The original Franklin W. Dixon versions were far better than the smoothed-out later set.)
When I was eight, my father gave me Hemingway’s Green Hills of Africa, and told me that I wouldn’t find a big word anywhere in it … and that that was a good thing. And I loved it.
My father also gave me some Ian Fleming, a move that my mother wasn’t too happy about … but the books were accessible, at least verbally, even if the psychology was a bit above my level.
When I was 10, my aunt gave me Tolstoy’s War and Peace. I knew it was good, but couldn’t yet like it, though I claimed I did.
I wish I had read some Dr. Seuss, but it was my younger brother who got into him, beginning with The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins. And now I love Dr. Seuss.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know, I have some problems remembering the books I read as a child.
I know the first book I read was Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Margaret Henry, the story of a donkey who lived in the Grand Canyon.
I read many Hardy Boys books, beginning with The Mystery of the Old Mill. (The original Franklin W. Dixon versions were far better than the smoothed-out later set.)
When I was eight, my father gave me Hemingway’s Green Hills of Africa, and told me that I wouldn’t find a big word anywhere in it … and that that was a good thing. And I loved it.
My father also gave me some Ian Fleming, a move that my mother wasn’t too happy about … but the books were accessible, at least verbally, even if the psychology was a bit above my level.
When I was 10, my aunt gave me Tolstoy’s War and Peace. I knew it was good, but couldn’t yet like it, though I claimed I did. (I think I read about a third of it.)
I wish I had read some Dr. Seuss, but it was my younger brother who got into him, beginning with The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins. And now I love Dr. Seuss.

Can you speak a little louder? I cant hear you! LOL!

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
YOu know, I guess I was thinking more in terms of early childhood but I still love well illustrated childrens books and collect them by Illustrator. I wish Chris Van Allsburg had been around when I was a child. My favorites by him are "The Sweetest Fig" and "THe Mysteries of Harris Burdick"

Well, many of these books I read in early childhood. Though I realize that my reading level was well beyond where it was supposed to have been. Others my mother or my teachers read to me. I think I was done with all of them by the time I was 12. By middle school I was reading heavier stuff.

Early early childhood... um... difficult to remember. I know A Wrinkle in Time was one of the first books my mom read to me. I barely even remember what that was about. I know I also liked the Velveteen Rabbit. and I had one of those read-along storybooks with an audio casette tape for the story of Pecos Bill. I shocked my father one day when he saw me reading the book out loud without the tape when I was 2 or 3 years old. I couldn't read yet, I just had the whole thing memorized and knew when I was supposed to turn the pages.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, many of these books I read in early childhood. Though I realize that my reading level was well beyond where it was supposed to have been. Others my mother or my teachers read to me. I think I was done with all of them by the time I was 12. By middle school I was reading heavier stuff.

Early early childhood... um... difficult to remember. I know A Wrinkle in Time was one of the first books my mom read to me. I barely even remember what that was about. I know I also liked the Velveteen Rabbit. and I had one of those read-along storybooks with an audio casette tape for the story of Pecos Bill. I shocked my father one day when he saw me reading the book out loud without the tape when I was 2 or 3 years old. I couldn't read yet, I just had the whole thing memorized and knew when I was supposed to turn the pages.

I love it ! How precious! I too read very early but I still was a sucker for a wonderful illustrator. If there were no illustrations the author would have to keep my interest with vivid word pictures. My brother who also read rather early prefered many of the books you have mentioned. I suppose I have always been visual thus being an artist was not too far a stretch.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Really, pretty much anything printed that I could get my hands on.

I was reading "The Jungle Book" by Kipling, before I started school.

We had a collection, about 7 volumes, of classics edited for young readers. I think the age level was supposed to be about ages 12 to 15, but I remember reading Beowulf in second grade. I had to hide the book from my teacher who insisted that we all read "at grade level", meaning another boring year of those stupid "Dick and Jane and Spot" books. Ugh. My first grade teacher let me go at my own pace, and I finished all the first and second grade readers by end of first semester.

When I grew tired of those, I would sometimes flip through non-fiction or reference books until I found something that sounded interesting. The encyclopedia always had some fascinating article I had not previously read.

Like you, NIC, I gravitated toward the more "serious" stuff by the time I got into 7th grade.

D_Coyne Toss

Expert Member
Media
I used to have a collection of illustrated books of Huey Duey and Louie wandering around the world, discovering national parks, and seeing animals: each month a different country, and different flora and fauna illustrated and explained.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
I used to have a collection of illustrated books of Huey Duey and Louie wandering around the world, discovering national parks, and seeing animals: each month a different country, and different flora and fauna illustrated and explained.

Me too!!!

I was also a huge fan of Fairytales and Fractured Fairytales. I used to write my own versions.. though, they were bad:rolleyes: