Florida Felon List Scrapped

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mindseye, Jul 10, 2004.

1. mindseye

Gold Member

We asked for access to Florida's felon list.

Florida refused.

We sued, and won access in court.

Then we found out the list was flawed. Flawed in a way that would benefit the Republican party in 2004. Hmmm...

Now that the bias in the list has been exposed, Florida claims it was unintentional, but that they will scrap the list, and come up with "other ways" to exclude felons from voting.

2. jonb

Gold Member

About time. It's funny, fascist "elections" are usually decided by courts. And we could've avoided this whole affair if people had noticed the conflict of interest: Bush's campaign chair in Florida also being Secretary of State, and Bush's cousin reporting election results on Fox News.

3. KinkGuy

Gold Member

To say nothing of the fact that his brother is the Governor of the state. hmmmmmm.

4. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, well, it's hard to force the governor to step down. I found it interesting that Faux News was the first to report his winning in Florida and then that meme spread faster than herpes through the Clinton White House.

5. madame_zora

Gold Member

So, basically, we've been stuck all this time with a man who never even won the election!! What a fraud on the American people!

6. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Well, yeah. That little tidbit has never really been a secret!

7. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, well, now we have electronic voting. As far as I can tell, the people who are backing it have all the computer-literacy of the typical guy in marketing.

8. Imported

Gold Member

LoveGirl: I hope liberal hacker/pirates find a way to sway the votes. Get G DuByah out of office by any means necessary (Excluding hurting innocent people of course). But, votes don't matter anyways do they? I mean doesn't the electorial college do the behind the scenes electing?

9. Imported

Gold Member

XXLHS:
    Yes, and that was a big issue in 2000, the electorals could have been cast against the ballet count if the elector wanted to make the call. It would have been unpresidented, but the electors have the option of casting the votes in the electoral college in any manner they like.

So, if the FL electors had felt that the vote was not representative of the actual desire of the people they could have cast the electorals for Gore instead of Bush, that might have made things very interesting, but it also would have been final. So there are some good things about being in odd government positions.

Want to make a difference become an elector, anyone can and not many people do it. Just like so many other public offices.

Also, I have come up with a new name for Bush that I think should be used as a bumper sticker... Dubious Dubyah ... has a nice ring to it.

10. mindseye

Gold Member

Such an elector is called a "faithless elector", and 26 states have laws on the book requiring electors to vote for the candidates they are chosen to represent. Florida is one of those 26 states. A faithless elector from Florida would not be violating any federal laws, but would be violating state law.

11. jonb

Gold Member

Actually, CNN demonstrated how to crack the voting machines on national television. Slashdot had an article on exploits in electronic voting months before, of course. It takes a matter of minutes to break in, change the results, and erase your tracks. Also, there's the matter of Diebold's CEO having worked for the Bush campaign: I'd rather use Windows/Internet Explorer/Outlook Express than entrust the election to someone with that kind of conflict of interest.

12. tracksuitboy

tracksuitboy New Member

Could some splendid chap or chap-ess explain please?

13. tracksuitboy

tracksuitboy New Member

Again, an explanation please. Does this mean people presently in prison or anyone ever convicted? Do tell!

14. jonb

Gold Member

Could some splendid chap or chap-ess explain please? [/b][/quote]
    Well, the media reports election results as they come in. Faux News had Bush's cousin reporting it.

15. tracksuitboy

tracksuitboy New Member

I am pleased to see that there is no bias in journalism then!

16. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's great! :lol:

17. jonb

Gold Member

18. mindseye

Gold Member

The news from Florida just keeps rolling in:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...lorida_voting_5

Seems them new-fangled voting machines -- which are supposed to eliminate the specter of manual recounts -- have already experienced two crashes since the 2002 elections when they were first used in Florida, resulting in the loss of recorded votes.

Coincidentally, both of the vote-losing crashes have occurred in heavily-Democratic Miami-Dade county.

You know, I work with computers enough to understand that crashes happen. And I'm not a conspiracy nutjob accusing Florida of making these crashes happen on purpose in order to "steal" the election.

What I *am* saying is that the principle of one person, one vote has been part of our national culture for over 130 years. That ideal should be cherished and valued by all of us, and it's shameful for Florida officials to shrug their shoulders ("Whoopsy!") instead of striving to find ways to ensure these sorts of things don't happen again.

19. jonb

Gold Member

Well, a pirate version of the source code got out. Here are some comments from those who have seen it:

"the BOOL beeped flag is a hack so we don’t beep twice. This is really a
    result of the key handling being gorped." (WriteIn.cpp,v)
    "this is completely screwed up. the iIndex calculations are incorrectly based
    on nybbles for some unknown reason, and so the offsets are incorrect. This
    works only because the offsets are also incorrect when the card is read."
    (VoterCard.cpp,v)
    "Reserve place in hell for person who renamed CRace and friends to
    CRaceKey." (BufferedSocket.cpp,v)
    "Add and comment out code to work around bogus -1 in ballot level IDs."
    (BallotRstDlg.cpp,v)
    "this is a sick hack to parse out a jurisdiction from a multi-line election
    title. The jurisdiction field should be eliminiated altogether and this code
    removed. This whole section is fairly broken wrt GEMS. GEMS doesn’t
    store the 'election information' in any kind of multilingual sense, let alone
    rich text. For now just stuff the english into all languages." (BuildElecDlg.cpp,v)
    "Deep magic is not working? Tried input of 6 and got back 1" (CIssue.CPP,v)
    "The scaling stuff is complete voodo.[sic] Trust me or rewrite it to make
    more sense." (TextCell.cpp,v)

20. eaglespga88

eaglespga88 New Member

Its ok...Id rather have had Nader, but what we got is still better than anything Gore had to offer. I dont even want to think of that Nobel fraud leading our country. He is a real fraud, not a scientist, a politician, yet he gets part of the prize for his efforts with global warming (which does not even exist!) Its all part of an agenda to get scientists more research money.

ICECAP

America really would not have been safer with a weak gore or a lying flake kerry

Draft saved Draft deleted