Florida Folks holla back

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by B_Carolina, Jul 4, 2005.

1. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

So, I attended a wedding in Orlando. Actually, they held it at the Grand Floridian resort at Disney World. I got to spend a few days down there and ended up crashing with my grandparents on the Gulf side. But my question is twofold... First and foremost, why does God hate Florida? IF he/she/it didn't, it wouldn't be so balls-awful hot. Second, what chemicals did you Floridians put it in the groundwater to make your insects turn into 1960s B-movie beasties? This isn't a bash Florida thread but if there's any place I can think of that better applies to "Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there," it's the Sunshine State. So, for those who live there, please inform me the mystique of all that is Florida. For instance, is there a reason no one in the state knows how to make a decent pitcher of sweet tea? Bear in mind that all of this random pondering comes from someone who lives in Western North Carolina, where the Eric Rudolphs of the world come to hide, so if you need fodder to pick on me - well, there you have it. I live in good ol' Appalachia.

My other part of this message is for the lovely Madame Z, whom I promised I'd post more ... I kinda got swept up in a friend's wedding. But I did come back with a sunburn and the verve and vinegar to post, post, post. See you all around the forum and Happy Fourth of July everyone!

2. KinkGuy

Gold Member

I'm not a Floridian, but I have visited several times. My theory is that Florida is a great place to live, but only within 100 feet of the ocean. Otherwise, everything you said is true, but I'm a high desert dweller. At least it's "dry heat" as the joke goes. Why did they build Disneyworld in the middle of a swamp?

3. steve319

Gold Member

I know very little about Florida--never even been there, to be honest--but I have to say, Carolina, that I loved your post!

1960's B-movie beasties?
    Where the Eric Rudolph's of the world come to hide?

:D :D :D

(Mind if I steal the Rudolph comment? As a fellow WNCer, I can use that one!)

M_Zora's right: you'd darned well better post more often! You've made my night with this one.

Carry on, those of you with Florida comments!

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Carolina, you're at your best when you're bitching so please never stop. You're scaring me about my impending move, but considering I'm leaving Ohio even the redneck hell that is Florida is a great improvement. I have sworn not to do another winter in the arcitc freeze.

I know what I'm in for- bad food, tourists, anit-abortion billboards everywhere, confederate flags, swamp dwellers and cretins of all kinds, but in addition to that are a ton of people who have relocated there (a LOT from the midwest) looking for a slower paced life. I fit in well there in that respect, so here's hoping.

You better not go too far, I miss seeing your posts, and you know I'm coming right through appalachia on the way down. :evilgrin:

5. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I have been to Florida on business once each year for the past five years--either in Naples or on Marco Island and the wife and I also did our honeymoon in Disney World (we stayed on grouds). Watching the sunset on the gulf coast was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. The humidity was over the top and having all the older people stare at us all the time was weird. We weren't really sure if they were staring becasue we were young, black or both?!? Oh well. Carolina--you really hit the nail on the head. Great for a weekend or a week--but I actually LIKE having seasons (and no hurricanes).

6. dantien

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Wow everyone, you sure have interesting ideas of Florida.

Yes, SOME bugs are large...we have alot of wildlife down here and the insects (particularly the palmetto beetles) can get big. As for the heat, well, did you come down in the middle of the summer? Of course it's hot! It's actually hotter out west now in Vegas for example, but we are more humid here and it takes some getting used to. I've become comfortable in sweating over the years. As an avid outdoor sportsman, humidity can be tough to overcome...but we manage.

I appreciate the curiosity as to the different climate and fauna in our state. We are actually a wonderful state to live in (aside from our current govenor), even if you are away from the ocean (rolling hills, swamps, forests, natural springs, etc. all exist away from the oceans). And there is alot of young people in Florida, just apparently not where tourists go. The idea that it's all old people comes from toursits hanging around those areas.

As for tea, well, I lived in Asheville NC and you Carolinians dont know how to make tea either. Just figured a member from Florida should represent.

7. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Well since I have friends and family who live in Florida, and I have been there too many times to even count, I feel I should comment, since I am a Southerner. North Florida is the South. Southeast Florida is the Northeast, just moved southward, and that is where many of the old people live.

As to the climate and stuff, places in northern Florida don't have any different weather than we do here in South Carolina or in Georgia. When I lived in the low country of SC, it was even more like Florida, being what is termed the "coastal plain." I always just called it swamp land.

What makes Orlando a hellish place is the gazillions of tourists. Everywhere you look there they are. I'm sure they make Orlando lots of revenue, but they make it a place that I wouldn't want to live.

As to tea, I haven't found a good glass of tea, much south of Jacksonville. Tea was meant to be sweet, don't offer me sugar in a packet or in a dispenser or even in a sugar bowl. It never dissolves. The worst offense is the pink or blue stuff because they make the tea taste funny. Splenda is the only fake stuff that works because it's made from sugar.

Florida isn't any hotter or buggier than coastal SC or GA. It's just that you want to swat at the tourists in their ugly tourist attire--I think those are the oversized bugs that you saw. You just were confused.

Actually, Florida has some really nice parts and some really great people. There is a lot of interesting history and architecture there, but you have to go to some of the smaller towns and cities, you've got to get off the tourist trail.

8. thelastoneever2000

thelastoneever2000 New Member

jacksonville reperzent

9. godiluvabig1

godiluvabig1 New Member

I hate to disappoint you zora, but Florida is actually not a redneck hell... I have yet to meet rednecks here... redneck hell is in southern Louisiana and Texas... (no offense to anyone)

I was born here in Fla, raised in Louisiana, and now I've returned to Fla, where I'll be starting school next month... I love Florida because the coldest it gets is 40 degrees, and I hate the cold... as for the heat, it really isn't that bad... especially if you have a pool... I love it cuz I was tanning back in early February... Hurricanes rock cuz you get outta work (usually paid) and a lot of people have what we call "hurricane parties," where you pretty much party and drink the whole time... Florida's really not so bad, so don't be worried... I love it here!

10. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

Well I grew up in S. Florida but I never lived more than 10 miles from a beach...It is definitely hot but if you grow up there or live there - you get use to it and I didn't use to sweat as much as now when I go back to visit...But must disagree w/godiluvabig1 - being a person of color I have experienced and seen a lot of rednecks but I can say that almost about any state I have visited before...I really liked living in S. Florida because I hate seasons and cold weather...We use to go to the beach on Christmas and I loved that...

11. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

After reading folks' posts, I'm glad to see our Floridian brethren slowly crawling out of the woodwork. My father's side of the family resides predominantly in the Fort Myers/Naples area on the Gulf side. As for me, someone mentioned my hometown of Asheville and I gotta say, I'll take the sweet tea here over anything south of Valdosta any ol' day. I've been visiting Florida since I was a kid but I never could get used to climate. It's not that I'm uncomfortable sweating or that I can't stand the humidity. (Anyone who had to live in the Carolina Piedmont for 18 years can attest to that). Rather, it's like Lex said. I love my seasons. In fact, I wish the Western North Carolina winter was a bit longer. Sure, I'll keep visiting relatives in Florida, but I gotta keep my eyes peeled. Wouldn't want any of those critters to swoop down and carry me off to someplace worse ... like, oh say, Birmingham where the day doesn't even start until the humidity is at least 90%. I kid, I kid. Birmingham, you know I love you.

On a more serious note... I've got a good friend in Alabama and for everyone else down there, be safe with the storms coming. I know we'll be getting some rain and I don't want to think what it'd be like if it flooded here again like last Fall. ciao all.

12. KinkGuy

Gold Member

At least the Florida rednecks have better tans than the Ohio rednecks. :D

13. JT11x7

JT11x7 New Member

Hello, Normally I agree with most everything Madame Zora writes, but this time she is so far off base on Florida. Actually, most of the people who live in Florida year round are from the NE and upper midwest. That is not counting the "snow birds" who come down in Mid September and leave in May to go back to Ohio, IL, WI, MN, and all the NE states. Actually, if you define a "redneck" as someone with a "closed mind" the WORLD is full of them, everywhere, even Ohio, CA, NV, MA, France, Iran, Italy, Germany, HongKong, Australia, etc., Everywhere! But most people just keep their opinions to themselves and just stare at most. But in the USA, the most vocal, by far, no contest, people who will interrupt and intrude to tell you what they think and why and why their small minds rule is people from the NE and the upper midwest. People who are from (defined as born and raised) the south are generally too polite and reserved to comment, they generally just ignore something they disapprove of. People from the NE seem to feel this overwhelming urge to comment on everything that they disagree, or agree on.
    As for FL, you can drive for days and not see any thing of the sort that was described (Confederate flags, abortion billboards, etc.) And Florida is actually several "states" in area and climate. The Panhandle, the Jacksonville area, the Space Coast, the Gold Coast, the Keys, the Fort Myers/Naples area, Tampa Bay, the Big Bend area, not to mention the Orlando and Tallahassee/Gainesville areas.
    Something for everyone. The prettiest beaches in the USA are in Florida, and "Dr Beach", (a real guy with a PhD ranks the beaches of the Panhandle the prettiest in the world)...he is seen on the Travel and Discovery Channnels. This week it was hotter in a dozen places in the country than in Florida, and as far as humidity, it is humid, but Boston and NYC are worse in July/August because they have the same humidity (also located on the ocean), but they don't get the constant breezes that the Florida Pennisula does (located between two bodies of water and 3 naturally occuring ocean currents).
    Anyway, I have traveled a lot in my life, and have learned that it takes anywhere from 6 to 18 months for any individual to feel "at home" when they move someplace new. That occurs when you can go to the grocer, recognize the grocer, get gas, have more than one favorite restuarants, recognize servers, and have a "routine", and can go shopping anywhere for anything and can do the trip on "auto pilot" without thinking about it because it is "comfortable" and "familiar". Different people adapt at different rates of time. But, anyone moving to any new area will never be comfortable if they do not stop "fighting" their new surroundings and stop thinking they had it "better" somewhere else and simply be happy and accept where they are as a new place, with new challenges and new rewards, and make up their minds to be positive and happy. If they fail that, they will always be unsatisfied with their new surroundings because "griping" is all they have to remind themselves they are not content and can't let that go, and to share their discomfort with anyone who is within earshot. The happiest world travelers and folks in new places accept and adapt to their new surroundings with a positive attitude. E.g.,Boston has great seafood, but can't do BBQ and a dozen other culinary delights, and other places have great seafood as well. The best seafood restuarant in America is in Fort Walton Beach in the Panhandle,Staffs, family owned and run for over 100 years. Nothing in the NW or NE touches it. Enjoy the climate and life is wonderful in Florida, that is why so many folks from the "Artic" move there and have dreamed of doing so since they were old enough to save for retirement.
    Good luck in Florida Madam Z, it has a lot of positives to offer you.
    And since I have read that in your business you have met a lot of entertainers/exotic dancers, Florida is home to a bunch of them who moved their to retire. Besides, no state income tax, low property tax, and no sales tax on food or pharmacy items. And gas is cheaper than the NE or midwest, all great reasons to live there coupled with the cost of living index being lower.
    Good luck in Florida Madam-Z. Be positive minded, forget the stereotypes, don't give them a second thought, relax, enjoy the climate and the attitude and a bazillion things to do. You will fit right in and be happy.

JT11x7

14. JT11x7

JT11x7 New Member

P.S. I live in the NW now, Seattle area. Talk about people whose weather has affected their moods! Depressed, surly, reclusive people abound here! LOL But they are so PC they have angst wondering if they offended anyone in making themselves miserable! If it was not for Starbucks many of them would curl up in a ball and try to hibernate all year because of the weather. But the caffiene keeps them shaking so much they can't sleep. LOL

15. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

JT11x7 thanks for showing support for Florida...Funny I have a couple of friends who moved from the South to Seattle and they hate it because of the depressing weather...Myself I grew up in the Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale area so really can appreciate and miss the ocean since I no longer live in Florida...St. Petersburg, FL also has some really nice beaches...I usually like to get to the beach during holidays and I must admit when I was down there recently it was extremely hot but I missed that...

16. PonyPete

PonyPete New Member

An undisclosed location in central Louisiana
    HA. HA HA. HA HA HA. HA. Yeah. Right. :glare:

17. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

HA. HA HA. HA HA HA. HA. Yeah. Right. :glare:
    [post=327121]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

LOL It's just that we know how to say something to your face to make it sound like it's nice, but we've actually cut you down...."bless your heart..."

18. PonyPete

PonyPete New Member

An undisclosed location in central Louisiana
    LOL It's just that we know how to say something to your face to make it sound like it's nice, but we've actually cut you down...."bless your heart..."
    [post=327127]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

I've lived in the South all my life. What I've seen is that most Southerners I've encountered are polite to other people who are like them, but are very vocal in their disapproval of someone seen as "different". Gay? :wow: Pro-Life? :wow: Jewish? or worse yet, Atheist? :wow: I've met few rednecks in the South who bother to say something nice to someone's face if that someone isn't another "shure'nuff" redneck, and they certainly don't sugar coat insults. If they mean to cut someone down, they do so without mincing words. That's what I've seen in my day-to-day observation of the inhabitants of Bubbaville in their natural habitat.

19. Myrmidon

Myrmidon New Member

Orlando represent right here!

Gimme a message on AIM and let's talk if you're in the area. :)

And as far as rednecks are concerned, I live in a high-population redneck area, aka Oviedo/Chuluota

20. dantien

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Glad to see I'm not the only one on here who doesnt assume "Southerners" are as stereotypical as the media portrays them. For being so smart, northerners sure know how to make snap judgements about this whole area of the country based on third-hand knowledge.

Jacksonville represent! B)

Draft saved Draft deleted