Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I've got to know if it's standard to do it before or after?

Another question- Do you floss everyday? Be honest! I'll admit i used to lie to the dentist and say i did when i didnt. Now i've gotten in the habit.

I'm a freak about flossing, i dont brush 3 times a day or anything. I just floss prior to brushing my teeth and sometimes before and after. I do it in the shower because its easier.

A real thought provoking post i know, but you've had to wonder what other people do...

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You should floss after brushing. Brushing will get rid of most of the plaque, then flossing will get the stuff between the teeth that brushing misses. After you brush, spit out the toothpast, but don't rinse. The residual toothpaste in your mouth will lubricate the floss, and that way you'll deliver some fluoride between the teeth. Rinse after flossing. Finishing with an anti-bacterial mouthwash (preferably alcohol free or with low-alcohol) may also be helpful.

sjprep06

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I have a whole routine: I floss with Johnson's waxed floss, then pre-rinse with Listerine's "Whitening Pre-Brush Rinse", then brush the teef (yea, I said "teef") with Colgate's Total Whitening paste, rinse with water and then wash my mouth out with Act Restoring Mouthwash-Anticavity to finish it off. . (As you can tell, I hate name brands in my life)

The long and short of it is yes, I floss before brushing and lately, I have been flossing daily. Before I never flossed and only used straws when something got stuck between the teeth (I can hear all of the dentists hissing right now....)

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Floss before brushing. Definitely. You just get bigger chunks and it is more satisfying.

Yes, I brush and floss daily before bed. I have a Sonicare to prevent teeth abrasion. I am kind of an oral hygiene freak also. I use Colgate Whitening paste too.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Floss after brushing, but I don't floss anymore my toothbrush has a water attachment on (it's not quite a water pick as they were agony) which shoots out swirly oxygenated water and gets any stray bits out. My dentist once told me lots of people do more harm with flossing than they do good.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I floss after I brush. I was just told by my dental hygienist after my last cleaning that I have perfect oral hygiene. I brush, rinse with water, then floss, rinse with water, and then rinse with Crest non-alcohol mouthwash. The hygienist had an influence on helping me to develop this routine, and it works. No cavities, Ma! :biggrin1:

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
when I floss which is now about one time a week because it turns into a blood bath, I do it before i brush.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Dentists and hygienists I've asked have said to floss before brushing. I have a receding gum line [stable, at present] so their advice may be specific to that condition.

Generally, I'll floss once per day, occasionally twice.

Here's my after dinner routine:
  • If needed, use a wooden toothpick or a "brush pick" to remove large chunks.
  • Floss with Glide or other shred-resistant floss.
  • Brush with conventional toothbrush and desensitizing toothpaste.
  • Rinse.
  • Use proxybrush between rear molars.
  • Use a tongue-scraper.:eek: It's gross but worthwhile.
  • Rinse, this time forcing the water between teeth.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here's my after dinner routine:
  • If needed, use a wooden toothpick or a "brush pick" to remove large chunks.
  • Floss with Glide or other shred-resistant floss.
  • Brush with conventional toothbrush and desensitizing toothpaste.
  • Rinse.
  • Use proxybrush between rear molars.
  • Use a tongue-scraper.:eek: It's gross but worthwhile.
  • Rinse, this time forcing the water between teeth.

Impressive. Save time, use a jet wash.:smile:

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Dong, I asked my Dentist about using a waterpik and they recommended against it because of my tender gums.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I use dental floss to get all of the food out of the gaps between my teeth (mama couldn't afford braces so I have some serious gaps near my molars and such) after I eat. I don't floss everytime after I eat, but I DO use Tea Tree oil toothpicks to get all of the food I can out of the gaps after every meal... EVERY meal!!! The Tea Tree oil toothpicks actually disinfect my teeth and gums from bacteria and and leave behind a germicidal essential oil that has done WONDERS for my teeth and gum health... although you do need access to a mirror in order to really clean between the teeth. If I am eating a meal high in animal protein, I will use floss because the acid that decaying meat leaves behind can DESTROY your teeth and gums over a lifetime. I also chew sugarless gum because it stimulates the flow of saliva over your gums that is akin to giving them a bath. Brushing takes place after all of these things... Tom's of Maine is the only toothpaste made in The ol' US of A and is some GOOD SHIT!!! Cinnamon Clove is my favorite flavor!!!

Brushing is actually the least important part of my dental routine. It's all about getting 100% of the food out from between your teeth!!!!

Belly_Dancer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I floss before brushing, but I guess just due to my own philosophy -- it seems like if you did it before brushing, you might just be pushing more bacteria under the gumline with your floss. Maybe that's just me.

I'm a little obsessive about dental hygiene, though. I do a five-step routine nightly, starting with an anti-plaque rinse, then brushing, then flossing, then using Listerine, then using a tongue-scraper.

In the mornings, I just brush my teeth.

I hated flossing and never did it until I found the Glide flossers. They are so easy to use, disposable, only need one hand, and can be used discreetly behind a palmed hand if necessary. I carry one or two in my pockets for any time I eat and floss immediately thereafter. The feeling of clean teeth is great and helps prevent bad breath.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I do it before I brush my teeth. And I hate it. I usually get rid of the big stuff with my tongue and sucking on my teeth after I eat, though.

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
I floss every night after brushing but before rinsing with Listerine. I wasn't always so adamant about dental hygiene but then I got braces. After they finally came off, I vowed to keep my teeth as perfect as possible. Brush after every meal, floss once a day, rinse with mouthwash morning and night. In between it all, I live off Orbit Whitening gum. Swimming Lad if you're reading this, shut the hell up! :wink:

B_rag0007

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
About once every two weeks I brush with BAKING SODA ...as dry has possible.......sucking my saliva as much as possible ; Gives a super clean
feeling, then I brush with CREST ....and I do Floss after eating always.

I am in my early seventies and have all my teeth......some people have the nerve to doubt that I have them!!!!!!!

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I refuse to floss. I lie every time I go to the dentist. I wont do it now especially because I have braces... and it would take me half an hour to do. I pre-rinse with that Listerine Whitening crap, brush with Colgate expressions (vanilla, lemon, or orange) Depending on what colour package I want to use at the time. I special little plaque cleaning things too for around the brackets. I'm almost 20, flossed consecutively for about 2 days out of my entire life... never had a cavity, see no reason to start now.