Fondue pots

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was watching a cooking show and they had fondue pots so I started to question if most people have fondue pots or fondue cooking things

Also are you using for cheese fondues or chocolate fondues?

And other than bread or strawberries what can be dipped in fondue meltings?

wldhoney

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have one and I love it. I love wine and cheese fondue. I have parties where I will have a couple of pots going , one for desert, one for savory things. I will make up antipasto platters, buy good german sausage and dark pumpernickle breads. Apples, bananas, crackers, big pretzel sticks, chips. Anything that you would put cheese or chocolate on.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had a fondue pot, it was a gift, it went in the crap cupboard along with all the other devices like slow cookers, electric knives, food warmers that you intend to use but never get around to.
No idea what else you can dip in fondue, I never used mine.

Is this another 70s fad being resurrected?

Most people likely have parents who have fondue pots given to them as wedding presents or housewarming gifts. Used a few times for novelty and then unceremoniously entombed in the back of cabinets or attics never to see a Sterno flame again.

Anything can be used to fondue. Meats, vegetables, breads, nuts, fruits, etc. If it can withstand its shape while being stabbed, drowned, and eaten, then it can be fondued. You can make cheese or chocolate but also broths and sauces for the dip. Just be creative and go with it.

handsoff

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Steak is the best fondu I've had. Set out different sauces and then slice pieces of steak to fit the forks and go to it. Very good dinner with some easy to fix sides.

It became popular again about 5 years ago. The fondue pot I have is stainless steel and they are out with all kinds of styles, recipe books, etc.

FIVE years ago?? Oh no!! My mom has three fondue pots in her basement from the 70s, two of which are unopened. I could have re-gifted them! Damn... missed the window of opportunity.

"What do you mean it looks old? Leisure suits and turtlenecks are the national costume of Switzerland."

Tlss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For the cheese fondue you can dip all sorts of savory food. Like bread, veggies, beef, chicken, crackers and etc.

And for the chocolate you can dip all sorts of fruits, cakes, truffle chocolate, marshmallows and etc.

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They never went away for some...they were the archtypal gift, it's true, but a fondue party is lots of fun, and very tasty too.

Broccolli is lovely in a three cheese fondue, small florets of raw broccolli, especially with blue cheese in the mix.

I love chunks of salami, or Polish Kabanos dipped into them also...

The best thing about fondues is the amount of alcohol you need to imbibe, this is an important point, in Swiss tradition, the alchohol stops the molten cheese forming a solid mass in your stomach!

In Paris a couple of weeks ago, they served in a Haut Savoie (Swiss border) region restaurant, a fondue pot of seasoned oil which was used like a Mongolian Hotpot, dipping in to the oil thin slices of beef....that was delicious!

Another tip from the waiter is to crack a raw egg into the last part of the cheese fondue, mix it quickly with the remaining bread and eat, I didn't try it but will do next time...

docris

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love fondue.

I have several fondue pots of different sizes. Most often, I'll make a chocolate fondue. For dippers I typically use strawberries, pound cake, pretzels, marshmallows, rice krispy treats, banana slices, grapes, graham crackers.

Eva

Experimental Member
Media
We have one and it is a lot of fun to use. There is actually a fondue restaurant chain here called The Melting Pot. A lot of fun in a group.

We have one of those. The desserts are good, but the rest of the stuff is kinda stupid to me. I mean, you pay a premium price to cook your own shit. Couldn't you do that at home for a lot cheaper?

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We have one of those. The desserts are good, but the rest of the stuff is kinda stupid to me. I mean, you pay a premium price to cook your own shit. Couldn't you do that at home for a lot cheaper?

:biggrin1: Very true. This is why we only go when the company pays for the function. :wink:

One of our favorite dessert fondues? Do chocolate fondue with cheesecake bites. YUM!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree, Eva. The first time I went to The Melting Pot, I was truly SHOCKED by how expensive it was. The food was good (not great, but good), and I was in good company, so we had a great time. But wow!

Any of you fondue experts out there ever make bagna cauda? I've not tried it before, but the ingredients sound sinfully delicious to me!

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We have one and it is a lot of fun to use. There is actually a fondue restaurant chain here called The Melting Pot. A lot of fun in a group.

In Gainesville Florida there is also a Melting Pot. I believe that it is the only one if its kind in the chain in that it resides in an almost unaltered old catholic church! The lighting provided by the original stained glass windows made for a very magical time.

(I'm sure the bud we smoked prior to going didn't hurt either! It was college; what can I say?)

Eva

Experimental Member
Media
So, Eva, I take it you never go out for sushi, where they expect you to pay for shit the don't even cook!

No, sushi is different. Even just the basic pieces are over a perfectly shaped mound of rice. The rolls are pretty and perfectly put together. I could never do that. Sushi is definitely a good thing!

The thing about the Melting Pot is there's a huge pot in the center of the table (and someone always gets perpetually steamed at the table all night) and they bring you raw cuts of meat to cook yourself. They even tell you how long to cook them. The quantity isn't huge and I didn't find the cuts to be of any excellent quality to warrant their price either. Even though the desserts are tasty, you still don't get a whole lot of pieces and parts to dip and what you do get sometimes just crumbles into the mixture. I should also note though that my opinion is skewed as I'd always prefer fresh fruit and nothing else for dessert. Chocolate isn't my hot button.

Cycleman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Take some steak and mushrooms and cut them up. Fill the fondue pot with a light oil, like canola or peanut, and heat it up. Skewer the meat and mushrooms and put them in! Don't forget to have various sauces on your fondue plates (plates with little dividers in them for sauces).
Fresh cracked black pepper is wonderful with beef.
Don't forget to have a good green salad and garlic bread to balance the meal out with!
:biggrin1: