Food and Fun in Albquerque and Santa Fe?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by CUBE, Jun 26, 2011.

1. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Going in two weeks. I have never been to either town. Just wondering if any one knows the best places for food and fun. They should have cool spas there too. Open to ideas. Meeting a friend there and we want to be the tourists. Thanks

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Oh I love Santa Fe; I had a friend who used to live there for years.I have some wonderful suggestions for you; some of my happiest experiences were in Santa Fe. Let me look through my old filofax etc and I'll post later.

3. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, appreciate your time

4. Number 51

Number 51 Member

5. earllogjam

Gold Member

Santa Fe is such a wonderful place. Enchanting. I haven't been there recently, maybe 4 years ago. If you are interested in art don't miss Canyon Rd, where a large majority of art galleries are located. There is a nice coffee shop in a house at the end of that road. The art is influenced by the regional indian culture and the spectacular natural beauty there. Georgia O'Keefe Museum is quite nice also - albeit touristy.

I stayed at Anasazi Inn off the Plaza, a very nice place. For lunch or dinner I would suggest Cafe Pasqual's for Southwest/regional cuisine which is all very yummy. It's off the square. The Plaza Cafe is on the square and is like a homey diner and is quite popular with tourists but they serve a good breakfast. I wasn't impressed by Coyote Cafe. I think it's lost it's groove and it felt the prices were more fancy than the food.

I remember lots of chiles drying strung up on lines outside and great antique furniture shops. The indian craftsmen and jewelry makers set up on one side of the plaza taking up a block under a covered portico - very nice torquoise/silver stuff. There is also La Fonda a historic hotel on the square. The adobe architecture and colors abound in Santa Fe, quite magical during Christmas as the adobes in lieu of Christmas lights are decorated with hundreds of little brown paper bags with flickering candles inside lined up on the tops of the buildings and walkways.

If you have the chance you should try to drive outside of Santa Fe as the countryside is beautiful. There are a few Indian ruins that are just spectacular like Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde cliff dwellings but you will need a car.

Just enjoy exploring. New Mexico truly is the land of enchantment.

Not very impressed ABQ as it's much like other big western cities full of sprawl, strip malls and common amorphous development seen in any town . There is a small old town area but it just seems staged and not very authentic. The airport however is quite charming.

#5 earllogjam, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

As far as hotels go. I have stayed at three and they each have their advantages.
    La Fonda is right on the plaza and very convenient to everything.
    Inn And Spa At Loretto is just a hop skip and a jump from the action in town and has a lovely restaurant and they have a great spa.
    Inn Of The Governors is still in town but off the beaten track a bit and is very low key and perhaps my favorite. Ask for a room with a fireplace.

There are so many great places to eat here is a brief rundown...
    The Shed is my favorite place for lunch, very good food and the best pie outside of my own kitchen.
    Santacafe is my favorite place for dinner, great food and atmosphere.
    Coyote Cafe is also good
    The Bull Ring has the best steak in town and you are likely to run into locals here.

If you want to buy something beautiful then I would recommend Packard's On The Plaza. They have a very informed and helpful staff and their merchandise is authentic. My house and jewelry box are well appointed because of Packard's.

Ten Thousand Waves is a japanese health spa with a lot of services with communal and private facilities. It's very Zen like and I recommend it highly.

If you are going to buy hot peppers go to a place that will ship them to you. It's better than shlepping them through the airport or trying to pack them in your luggage.

Santa Fe is one of my favorite places on the planet. New Mexico is not called "The Land Of Enchantment" for nothing. Because of the altitude I really recommend that you drink a lot of water and take it easy on the alcohol intake until you become adjusted. It's also very bright so don't forget sunglasses.

I also echo the sentiments of not being impressed with Albuquerque. I recommend driving up to Taos if you have time.

#6 nudeyorker, Jun 27, 2011
  7. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    You guys are the best! Thanks for the advice. Alq is on the list as this houses the art place my friend is taking a print making class. But it sounds we will be driving to Santa Fe often.

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Well OK have fun. You did not say if you were flying or driving. If you are flying in then there is a shuttle service from ABQ airport (I think it's called the Santa Fe Shuttle)(It's downstairs by Baggage Claim) If you don't have a car then you can go to Santa Fe while your friend is in class.

9. earllogjam

Gold Member

If you want to get off the beaten path and explore some roads outside the Interstate there is a little town between ABQ and Santa Fe called Madrid on Hwy 14. It's a quaint little former mining town that is just starting to get gentrified. Few galleries and cafes, I thought it was a nice place to break for lunch on the trip to Santa Fe.

10. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    cool, thanks. i will fly in and meet him. he has rented a car so we have wheels. what would you say is the distance between the two towns?

11. nudeyorker

Gold Member

The distance between ABQ (airport) and Santa Fe is about an hour drive with no traffic.

#11 nudeyorker, Jun 27, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted