Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This looked like a good idea in the store, but its execution was unexpectedly awful. I've gone through half a bottle of Listerine trying to shake the taste.

Anyone else encountered a real food idea blunder?

Attachments

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I once got a diet cherry store brand soda. I swear it tasted exactly like "medicine cherry" and a friend agreed with me. No wonder it was on sale. :biggrin:

Needless to say I never bought that again!

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmmm, yeah I was pumping gas once and my boyfriend asked what I wanted from in the store.

Chocolate milk of course!!!!!!!

We leave and I'm having some milk which tastes kind of funny....

:puke:

EXPIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
About twelve years ago, after an especially hellish and long day at work, I insisted that my partner and I go out for a good steak. But it was mid-week and too late for anything really decent, so we went to a place near-by that served until midnight. We'd eaten there before and it seemed like the right choice at the time.

The only steak on the menu was encrusted with peppercorns, which I knew from prior experience renders a piece of beef inedible to me. The server assured me that the chef would do whatever s/he could to minimize the peppercorns and insisted that I trust him on how enjoyable I'd find the meal. It was too late to go anywhere except for Denny's or fast food (neither of which were acceptable options to me) and instead of just ordering some chicken thing I decided to give the steak a go.

It was nearly 11:00, and I hadn't had anything to eat since a rushed and unsatisfying lunch about twelve hours previously. I was cranky and ill-tempered because of my shitty and and shaking with hunger when the server presented me with exactly what he said he wouldn't: the steak was encrusted with at least 1/2 an inch of hard and barely-crushed black peppercorns. I tried scraping them off, then I tried just eating the center, but every mouthful was excruciating. To top it off, I'd ordered it rare and it came nearly medium.

After about five minutes the server came over and I pitched a fit, which is something I never do, especially in public and never ever with service professionals. My partner, who was usually much more assertive than me in such situations was speechless and mortified, quickly paid the check and practically pulled me out of the place.

We wound up driving-through Burger King, after having spent almost $80 for a dinner neither of us had eaten very much of, and my tantrum caused a week's worth of tension between us afterward.

It remains one of my very-worst food horror stories (and a low point in my adult behavior).

adequate

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Halfway thru my junior year at college I stopped in one of the many head shops there in State College ( I attended Penn State ) just to browse. I happened upon a 32 ounce bottle of orange liquid. The label said 100 % organic. Reading the label, I then realized I was holding what was probably one of the prototypes of what is now an abundance of Orange cleaners. Then, however the manufactor was claiming it was a shampoo, body wash and teeth cleaner all in one. Money was real tight while in school back then so I took a leap of faith and bought the bottle. It was horrible. My hair felt like it was weighted down with soap film. My tan skin had a whiteish film and using it as a teeth cleaning agent was gag-awful. I finished the bottle. Money was the issue. Not really a food item but this thread brought back that memory and I wanted to share.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think lime mayonnaise is disgusting.

I recently made the mistake of taking a friend's word that 'burger' flavored Doritos are tasty. The same friend also sentenced me a few weeks ago to taste both 'ketchup' and 'dill' flavored potato chips while we were on a road trip, after entrusting him to get us snacks, while I pumped the gas.

Something that is very tasty that sounds like it could be nasty is a party dish I have had at my ex girlfriend's family gatherings... Her aunt who hosts the gatherings blends pre-made Swedish meatballs bought at IKEA and Little Smokies sausages in the same casserole dish, then covers them with a mixture of ketchup, grape jelly, onion powder and orange juice... They bake for a while and apparently the juices from the meats mixes with this abhorrent sounding concoction to make a delicious sauce. The meatballs are particularly tasty, since they soak up some of the fat shed by the sausages.

adequate

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I think lime mayonnaise is disgusting.

I recently made the mistake of taking a friend's word that 'burger' flavored Doritos are tasty. The same friend also sentenced me a few weeks ago to taste both 'ketchup' and 'dill' flavored potato chips while we were on a road trip, after entrusting him to get us snacks, while I pumped the gas.

Something that is very tasty that sounds like it could be nasty is a party dish I have had at my ex girlfriend's family gatherings... Her aunt who hosts the gatherings blends pre-made Swedish meatballs bought at IKEA and Little Smokies sausages in the same casserole dish, then covers them with a mixture of ketchup, grape jelly, onion powder and orange juice... They bake for a while and apparently the juices from the meats mixes with this abhorrent sounding concoction to make a delicious sauce. The meatballs are particularly tasty, since they soak up some of the fat shed by the sausages.

Yea, years ago back in my hometown the rage was those little smokies simmered in a sauce made from equal amounts of welch's grape jelly and french's mustard. This was years before Food Network.

pleasureboy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can see how that would appeal to you gym!

re the mayo. When I lived in Mexico I was surprised that all the supermarkets have an entire mayonaise aisle! They had lime and curry and every other combination you could possibly imagine.

That said, I really like the olive oil mayos.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That does sound disgusting.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hmm, I hate going off topic, but don't want to start a new thread :tongue:

Not something I ate, but that someone else did...

During school, I worked as a graveyard cook/mgr at a restaurant. At precisely 2:00 am, every morning, a gentleman would come in and order a tbone steak, mashed potatoes, and veggies. Sounds ok so far?

Thing is that he wanted his steak thrown on the broiler, flipped, and served. Yep, just as fast as it sounds. Raw, with black grill lines on each side.

Now, I love my steak rare to med rare, but that was just rediculous. And before anyone yells at me about food poisoning, this was before it was such a major concern. Besides customer is always right (even if it is gross, lol)

pleasureboy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think it depends on where the meat is coming from. If it's from a local shop with an actual in house meat department then the ground meat is generally the steaks and roasts and such that have gotten close to their expiration (which is not a bad thing).

If it's places like wal-mart where it's all coming in prepackaged from some commercial processor, who know what you're getting.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I will add a story based on CG's story of my own horror experience with raw food.

Ugh the worst thing anyone ever tried to feed me is called Kibbie Nyi- which is a Lebanese with RAW (YES RAW) Lamb, sometimes beef. It is mixed with fresh spices and onion, made into a shape and sometimes with the cross sign drawn into the raw meat. I still remember looking at it and saying how long does that need to cook for, and being told it was ready... then it was explained to me what it was. My boyfriend then looked at me and said "you will try it," to which I replied "and I will throw up, I'm not eating that." Rip roaring fight commenced that night. I'm not eating anything that might try to crawl off my plate, period.