Food mistakes

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
but isn't kibbie nyi basically "cooked" in vinegar? Like not with heat, but due to the acidic marinade? That's all cooking really is is an enzyme reaction.

Nope not at this house, these people were from Lebanon It was raw. Fresh ground RAW meat I wanted to throw up just looking at it.

They season a lot of things with lemon, including their grapes leaves. I have never seen it made with vinegar. It may have something to do with the different cultures.

Oh and cooked kibbie tastes like dry meatloaf to me. I've had it baked in the oven, and I have had grape leaves which the center tastes kibbish. (which those are packed in water with lemon squeezed overtop then a plate keeps them from floating) grape leaves are pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

scottredleter

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
olive oil mayo... sounded like a good idea - gross! In my experience, and I like soy, anything that is pretending to be something else is shitty. Tofu hot dogs, jeryk, etc... plain soy that you cook and season yourself is always better, or better still... the actual soy beans steamed with a little salt is awesome...

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Oh and cooked kibbie tastes like dry meatloaf to me. I've had it baked in the oven, and I have had grape leaves which the center tastes kibbish. (which those are packed in water with lemon squeezed overtop then a plate keeps them from floating) grape leaves are pretty good.

Back in the 80s there was a great little hole-in-the-wall Lebanese restaurant around the corner from my house which was cheap, friendly and convenient, so I ate there about once or twice a month. Every time I ordered the Kibbie (cooked, thankfully) I always wondered why and could never finish it. It was dry and crusty, and they put this weird sour cream/yogurt-type sauce on it that I just never got used to. Somehow I'd forget how dreadful it was only to be reminded when I'd order it again six months later :rolleyes:

I think lime mayonnaise is disgusting.

I recently made the mistake of taking a friend's word that 'burger' flavored Doritos are tasty. The same friend also sentenced me a few weeks ago to taste both 'ketchup' and 'dill' flavored potato chips while we were on a road trip, after entrusting him to get us snacks, while I pumped the gas.

Ketchup chips are disgusting, but I'm not a fan of "flavored" junk food anyway. I'm more a kettle-cooked Cape Cod chip kinda guy: plain but salted, thanks, and all-fat. The "reduced fat" chips are gross.

Something that is very tasty that sounds like it could be nasty is a party dish I have had at my ex girlfriend's family gatherings... Her aunt who hosts the gatherings blends pre-made Swedish meatballs bought at IKEA and Little Smokies sausages in the same casserole dish, then covers them with a mixture of ketchup, grape jelly, onion powder and orange juice... They bake for a while and apparently the juices from the meats mixes with this abhorrent sounding concoction to make a delicious sauce. The meatballs are particularly tasty, since they soak up some of the fat shed by the sausages.

My ex's best friends are a straight married couple who live in Brewster on Cape Cod with three daughters. She hates cooking and is really bad at it; almost everything she prepares is a combination of ingredients from cans or boxes. Her most dreadful, horrifying combination is raw hot dogs cut and "simmered" in a crock-pot filled with Velveeta cheese and a jar of salsa.

When I read your post quoted above, Audrey's "party dish" came instantly and nauseatingly to mind. They were also HUGE fans of deep-frying turkeys (barf).

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I went to Burger King and bought one of the Angus burgers for me and the Pup. (Yea, he was spoiled rotten)'

Got it home, put it in his bowl. He sniffed it, and then rolled in it.
I threw mine away.

Yeah, they're not very good... It has this sort of Salisbury-meatloafy kind of taste to it. Like the meat has been cut with bread crumbs or who knows what... The Angus burgers from McDonald's, of all places, are much tastier.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Every party I attended in the 60s had these. Although the thought of eating them now grosses me out, I have to admit I ate my share of them back then.

Yea, years ago back in my hometown the rage was those little smokies simmered in a sauce made from equal amounts of welch's grape jelly and french's mustard. This was years before Food Network.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
before foods became an eclectic experience, a friend said I just had to have the sesameburger at his favorite restaurant by the Stanford campus. he neglected to tell me that it was meatless... :puke:

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My ex's best friends are a straight married couple who live in Brewster on Cape Cod with three daughters. She hates cooking and is really bad at it; almost everything she prepares is a combination of ingredients from cans or boxes. Her most dreadful, horrifying combination is raw hot dogs cut and "simmered" in a crock-pot filled with Velveeta cheese and a jar of salsa.
Oh God, that sounds kinda scary. Velveeta is some salty ass, fake nasty tasting shit. And hot dogs!!! lolololol

At least the woman I refer to (aunt Sissy! I don't even know her real name, after knowing her for three years and having been around her at least 20 times) knows how to cook some good food. She also makes scratch cheesecakes, roast pork, crab cakes, and so on. She made some kind of carrot cake/nuts/struesel thing that was brownie-like for the Christmas party one year that was topped with ice cream and caramel when served that was incredibly delicious. I had like 4 servings of it!

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There is no such thing as a "raw" hot dog... they are fully cook before they are packaged. You can eat them safely out of the package. The filler is actually cooked before its extruded into the casing. Then the hotdog again goes thru additonal steam or how water cooking.