Food Pyramid

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Synergistic, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Synergistic

Synergistic Member

Albums:
    Maybe its not as big news as a new Pope, but we now have a new food pyramid.

My Pyramid

But how can this be, I've been living my life by the old one, I've been living a lie!

2. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I personally just listen to my body. If it has a protein craving, then hey, I'll eat some more meat. Everyone;s bodies are different, so this food pyramid won't work for everyone.

3. Pices2325

Pices2325 New Member

lol, who really eats according to the food guide pyramid anyways? The servings are so small and there aren't that much in each group that you barely get any food. I just eat whatever I want whenever I want to. Good thing I have a fast metabolism and excercise or else I think I would be the next Fat Bastard. I liked the old pyramid better, it was easier to read in my opinion. Have any of you ever noticed that a lot of skinny people can put down a WHOLE LOT of food? Just a thought

4. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Small? I couldn't eat everything the pyramid says. I'd get full. I think I maybe only take in like, 1200 calories a day on average? Though, lately...that's increased. Prolly a small grwoth spurt.

5. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, well, even as a little kid, I thought the food pyramid was biased in favor of carbs. (My family has a history of diabetes mellitus.) And what, pray tell, is a "serving"? Does the USDA have a standard definition? And people come in different sizes and have different lifestyles, yanno. A tall meso/ectomorph who enjoys basketball and track needs a lot more to eat than someone who's just average, and even if I became diabetic tomorrow that wouldn't weigh my weight.

I think I'll look at later; Opera's got the download clocked at .3 kb/s. Or maybe not, since I don't have FOUR HOURS to spare downloading it.

6. Synergistic

Synergistic Member

Albums:
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the reasons these things were created in the first place is someone needed to justify thier job for the government.

They're not really good for much, maybe the Pope can use one as a hat.

7. Pices2325

Pices2325 New Member

I think the serving sizes are small. Like a serving of fruit is justfied as a small apple such as a baking apple. A serving of grain is a cup of cereal. Come one, who really only eats a cup of ceral or something of that nature?

8. dickbulge

dickbulge New Member

Well I do. 8 oz, that is, not a "cup". I bet they'er trying to put the weights of various foods into some context Americans understand (do you have a kitchen scale?) and I remember a lot of work was put into making the pyramid easily understood. Anyway, cereal and juice (two fruit sevings) are my complete breakfast so a cup of raisan bran or outmeal is just about right.

Besides no one said you must eat only one serving at a time. A "big " apple is two servings, simple as that.

Draft saved Draft deleted