Football Modesty

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My brother coaches a high school football team. His players are not tucking a hand towel in the front center of their pants. He told me it used to be only his quaterback and when he did that it the towel was off to the side and not in front. My brother told me that the boys feel more comfortable covering their bulges from their jock straps or dick outlines from compression shorts. He said it is growing in popularity and he took some heat from parents when he told the boys no more hand towels because they have gloves.
My brother said it is more popular in college football and the NFL. Have you noticed this? My brother played for Penn State and his pants were thin & white. I remember seeing him playing in the rain and seeing his jock strap thru his pants. His bulge was always pronounced. However, after a while you didn't even notice it as much. Like wrestling, it's just part of the sport. He didn't give a shit who saw what.
Do you think modesty is growing in one of the roughest sports in our country?
Jake

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
It's probably less modesty on the part of the player and more modesty on the part of the media. Increasing numbers of college and pro teams are on TV these days and broadcasters can be overly cautious lest they lose a sponsor or viewership.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I watched a show of Mens' Diving Competition a little while back. I was annoyed that the cameraman did only waist up close-up shots of the divers while they were getting in position on the diving board.

I've noticed something with baseball players, too. It used to be that you would clearly see the outline of the guy's briefs through his baseball pants, and many times, the outline of his limp dick somewhere near the fly of the pants. Now it seems that most of them wear compression shorts that hide everything. I hope that the sports world doesn't turn androgenous. For me, seeing the male form of the athletes in their uniforms is part of the fun of watching sports.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Several months ago, I watched the weigh in of Jermaine Taylor who was getting ready for a boxing match. I can't remember who he was fighting. Since he's a 'hometown' hero, the local news was covering the event. The noon news showed the entire weigh in including Jermaine's HUGE equipment displayed in his spandex briefs. Huge is an understatement really, I'm not sure how the man can carry that around and not have back trouble. Anyway, from that point on, they edited the shot to be waist up. Damn media sensibilities!

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Today in Baseball, most wear protector cups, and that's why you always seeing them having to adjust them. I guess it is the new "spitting."

I don't understand it....in former years there was not so much protection is sport, and none of us seemed to be worse off because of it. Before long, sportsmen will be wearing medieval armor....!!!

hairyman101

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
on the ultimate fighting show....when there is to much of a bulge they blank the bulge shot out. this is on cable too.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
In the US, male modesty in this case may be a sign that men don't want to be sexualized to the same degree women do. I think there could be a minute backlash against the male body being too exposed in our society since men are now showing a bit more skin than they did in days gone by. For male athletes, being sexually objectified could be subconsciously associated with weakening of the male power role in society or even homosexuality. It's hard to say.

As we all know, in other countries, scantily-clad men are everywhere. In Australia, men hardly wore anything at the beach. It was the women who sometimes seemed overdressed. :biggrin1:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What is there to hide? What modesty? Never played football in high school but saw players in the locker room quite a bit. All wore protector cups. What footballer plays without one?

Media
My brother coaches a high school football team. His players are not tucking a hand towel in the front center of their pants. He told me it used to be only his quaterback and when he did that it the towel was off to the side and not in front. My brother told me that the boys feel more comfortable covering their bulges from their jock straps or dick outlines from compression shorts. He said it is growing in popularity and he took some heat from parents when he told the boys no more hand towels because they have gloves.
My brother said it is more popular in college football and the NFL. Have you noticed this? My brother played for Penn State and his pants were thin & white. I remember seeing him playing in the rain and seeing his jock strap thru his pants. His bulge was always pronounced. However, after a while you didn't even notice it as much. Like wrestling, it's just part of the sport. He didn't give a shit who saw what.
Do you think modesty is growing in one of the roughest sports in our country?
Jake

First of all, if a college or NFL player isn't wearing a cup they are asking for serious trouble. Even most of the guys on my high school teams wore cups.

HERCSURF

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
this conversation doesnt make a whole lot of sense because guys wear cups in football and most do in baseball. yes you can see the jock straps in white pants but in pro and HS football I dont know what guy would not wear a cup.. less he wants to have some serious issues.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
best described as an extreme case of false modesty. guys won't strip in front of other guys and, god forbid, take a shower naked in the locker room. things are a lot different since I was in high school.:mad:

Media
best described as an extreme case of false modesty. guys won't strip in front of other guys and, god forbid, take a shower naked in the locker room. things are a lot different since I was in high school.:mad:

Really? All the locker rooms I have been in the guys have no problem being naked. It all reminds me of a professional baseball game I went to several years ago and went into the locker room after the game with my friend who was a sports reporter. He got me a press pass. The only thing I really remember is this one fairly famous ballplayer was just standing around naked, and I wasn't sure why because he didn't play in that game. So no need to shower. Maybe he was trying to show off, because he was very thick and I would say about 10 inches flaccid. I am sure I stared.

BigMeatNJ

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The only thing I really remember is this one fairly famous ballplayer was just standing around naked, and I wasn't sure why because he didn't play in that game. So no need to shower. Maybe he was trying to show off, because he was very thick and I would say about 10 inches flaccid. I am sure I stared.[/quote]

and this whould be...who?????

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I don't really see how this a problem. I mean, if people wish to be more modest nowadays why is that something that's bad? I like to cover myself up and wear loose-fitting clothes, so why should I begrudge athletes wanting to hide as much of themselves as possible to be more comfortable?

Now, that's not to say I don't wish more were comfortable letting all hang out, but I'm not going to get into a lather over it either.

Another thing that I hate, because it obscures their asses, is when it's really cold and the players wear those hand warmers on their waist which they turn to the back while playing. Ugh, I can't tell you how many times I've missed a potential great ass shot of Jake Plummer or Mark Brunell because of those damn things!:biggrin:

I watched a show of Mens' Diving Competition a little while back. I was annoyed that the cameraman did only waist up close-up shots of the divers while they were getting in position on the diving board.

That's something that I lament as well. But like I said, if it's being done out of courtesy to the divers then I can't get too worked up about it. If it's being done merely to protect the perceived sensibilities of the audience then that's slightly different to me and I don't much agree with it.

I remember watching during the Athens Olympics and after a commercial they cut to Troy Dumais getting ready for the competition. It looked like he was about to do some adjusting but he noticed the camera and he instead began stretching.

So, see, I can see how some just aren't as flamaboyant or comfortable showing the whole world what they have. And as I said, neither am I, so I can't much blame them just 'cause I'd like to see more of them.

What is there to hide? What modesty? Never played football in high school but saw players in the locker room quite a bit. All wore protector cups. What footballer plays without one?

First of all, if a college or NFL player isn't wearing a cup they are asking for serious trouble. Even most of the guys on my high school teams wore cups.

It's known that some NFL players and even some MLB players don't wear cups. There were several stories a while back about Ed McCaffrey, a retired player for the Denver Broncos, not wearing his cup or even a jockstrap to gain speed. So, it's not unheard of for some players to forgo the wearing of a cup.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
I never spent much time in any locker rooms, apart from the forced locker room experience in high school.:biggrin1: I'm sure that there are men who are anything but modest in the locker rooms, including professional male athletes.

I do believe that North American men are much more modest overall than their European counterparts. That said, I know that men on this side of the Atlantic have no problems going bare-chested at the beach, but when it comes to showing off the outline of the peter, it's not all that common (seeing it through speedos, for example).