Footballers in the communal bath

D

deleted300444

Communal bath as in the Roman days with big concrete bowls for twenty?

Or jacuzzi tub?

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do footballers (and rugby players and other sportsmen) still get into the communal bath together for a naked soak after a match ?

Has anyone on the site ever been in such a bath ?
Just yesterday there was one of the well known local pro football players on TV showing the faculties of suncorp stadium. It had 2 "jacusis" that could easily fit a dozen players.
Suncorp Stadium (Lang Park) | Austadiums

There are TV cameras in the locker room, the shower facilities are off camera. That didn't stop some guy accidentally helicopter his cock on national TV a few years ago.

Reactions: broviantsoudakis

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And a bit off topic, a short distance away another pro sports team...

Brendan Fevola makes Brisbane Lions get rid of jocks in the shower | Courier Mail

THE Fevolution will not be televised. It seems the key change in Brisbane Lions' club culture being instigated by Brendan Fevola is taking place in the locker room, under the showers. Fev told Triple M's Greg Martin he was startled to discover Lions players "shower in their jocks".
"I felt quite uncomfortable, but I've slowly got the boys getting their jocks off," Fevola said.
"I just think it's embarrassing that the blokes shower in their jocks." Maybe they were worried Fev would whip out his mobile phone camera (a la Lara Bingle imbroglio).

Reactions: Trekrider

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
AFL players showering in jock straps? That's actually pathetic.
The olympic swimmers at the nearby fortitude valley pool are worse. They are there each day but dont go in the dressing rooms, they do the towel dance in the open. They want nothing to do with the general public.

It's really funny. But lately I'm under the impression that all men from England and Australia are "gods." lol. Then it occurred to me, it's because I see so many pictures of rugby player. Man, are they beautiful men!
Its the temperate climate & world class scenery that makes Australia an 'outdoor' country. In terms of medals per head of population at the olympics, australia is near the top.

eg 99% of the population is taught in school how to swim from an early age, its taken for granted that you vacation at the beach.
Compare that to a video I saw from the southern US where somebody was drowning in a river & nobody knew how to swim & help them.

Last edited:

achillesx

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's really funny. But lately I'm under the impression that all men from England and Australia are "gods." lol. Then it occurred to me, it's because I see so many pictures of rugby player. Man, are they beautiful men!

Yeah it's rough being one of those sexy rugby players! lol :tongue: And have to deal with all the men and women who want you. :wink:

JohnDoeXXXm

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
my heath club has a large hot tub in the locker room next to steam/sauna- would probably hold 25 guys sitting on the benches around the perimeter if everyone was cheek-to-cheek. Usually about 6-7 guys in there at once, and normally about 95% use it naked.

sergi

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Footballers In The Communal Bath? Only 15 replies, some off-topic in 12 years!​

So I guess that says post-match communal baths are a thing of the past :(

What a loss! I remember being awestruck when I went for a piss during my first cricket match and found alongside the urinals a set of open showers and a large white tiled bath sunk into the floor. I was gobsmacked by both - guys were not only naked in front of each other but they had to climb down a ladder to get into the water in front of the team. I was very inexperienced and extremely uncomfortable with the idea of being so exposed in front of my mates. I found the whole idea terrifying.

In the UK/Europe I haven't seen a bath in a locker room for years but then I only use gyms and pools - maybe football and rugby clubs still have them.

There are plenty of pictures of professional teams enjoying a bath together from decades past.

Sadly I never played rugby or football in a team that had access to a communal bath.

On many occasions, some recent, I have enjoyed being naked in hot tubs and warm, salty pools in 'straight' German & Austrian saunas and therme - plenty of wandering hands and spurting spunk in those :)

Perhaps some of our more mature sportsmen can recall how it was to soak with the lads after a match and what went on below the water line.

I remember at Uni (Salford) in the 80's one of the girlfriends of a rugger team member joking in the bar about the use of bananas in the bath after a match. I never asked but everyone involved had a good laugh at the time.

Does anyone have any stories or descriptions of what it was like to get in the tub with the team? Did you bother to shower first? Any covert action? Any hazing of new team members? Was the water so muddy you could get to grips with anything that was up for some fun?

I can't find any reminiscences anywhere - it would be great to hear some first-hand accounts and record them for posterity.

Attachments

Andy Daniels

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I played rugby for two clubs in the Midlands in the early 1990s: Sutton Coldfield and Fiveways Old Edwardians. Both had clubhouses built in the 1960s with very similar layouts: a bunch of changing rooms all opening into a hallway which led to a wet area with two big sunken baths in it. One for the home team(s) and one for away team(s). There were usually a couple of showers but it was all about the baths really. Sutton Coldfield filled their in during the early noughties and made a shower area, Old Eds clubhouse burnt down.

Even as a ref in London many years later I still come across the odd club with baths. From memory, HAC, Feltham, Blackheath at Well Hall, Barts, Old Rutlishians, Old Alleynians, Sutton & Epsom and Barnet Elizabethans all have or had them.

ttc2021

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
We still use communal showers in austria. We also have mixed naked saunas with males and females enjoying the heat compmetely naked :)

sergi

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I played rugby for two clubs in the Midlands in the early 1990s: Sutton Coldfield and Fiveways Old Edwardians. Both had clubhouses built in the 1960s with very similar layouts: a bunch of changing rooms all opening into a hallway which led to a wet area with two big sunken baths in it. One for the home team(s) and one for away team(s). There were usually a couple of showers but it was all about the baths really. Sutton Coldfield filled their in during the early noughties and made a shower area, Old Eds clubhouse burnt down.

Even as a ref in London many years later I still come across the odd club with baths. From memory, HAC, Feltham, Blackheath at Well Hall, Barts, Old Rutlishians, Old Alleynians, Sutton & Epsom and Barnet Elizabethans all have or had them.
Thanks for that Andy.

In the article "Heath rugby players enjoy Big Bath for last time"

Heath rugby players enjoy Big Bath for last time

They talk about spending hours in the tub. Was that normal?

Maybe just the way the Yorkshire lads were able to neck more beer and avoid paying pub prices :)

Any tales of drunken dares?

Attachments

phild

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I play amateur rugby in south west London and have for a number of years, sadly now past being in the 1st XV though.

I certainly remember communal baths from my earlier days but as clubs have refurbished facilities they have invariably gone in favour of showers. While getting in the bath after a game was always nice and just relaxing with your mates and a beer, the reality was most days we sat in pretty muddy water and you almost felt like you needed a wash when you got out. At some clubs the hot water supply wasn't great so at best it was luke warm.

So along came showers and I think everyone was pleased, still social - any club I've played at has communal showers and the laughs are just as good but you come out clean and not needing a wash.