Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Petite, give me some credit. Sometimes I know what I'm talking about.:smile:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got 7 out of 18 and I've lived several of those countries. It's also exactly average for the test. 16 out of 18? How is it that some guy in the midwest can distinguish those "races" better than I can and I'm Asian and I've lived among the people of two out three of those nations?

God this conversation makes me feel ill to my stomach to be honest with you. I hate that these threads all turn into racist stereotyping. Brace yourself for more racist generalizations.

Thanks, sbat. You twat. You just set back race relations. Congrats.

How's that for credit?

Last edited:

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
No need for name calling.

I LIVE in the midwest, currently. My ancestry is Zimbabwean. I've also lived in London, Bangkok, Aix-en-Provence, and Harare. I've had flatmates from Germany, France, Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica, Japan, China, Mongolia, Poland, Lebanon, and Egypt. I've done work for the World Bank. I'm currently dating a Turkish woman. I went to school in Pittsburgh, PA, where there are 6 universities and two of worldwide renown that draw students from all over the world.

I know a thing or two about international relations. As I said, when you live in a multicultural environment where folks segregate themselves based on nationality, ethnicity and cultural group, the physical differences between different nations becomes a bit more apparent. I'm speaking from personal experience.

I also made no racial stereotypes. I simply said that I could tell people from a select few nations apart based on facial featuers. I made no comment about how XYZ is "typical Korean" or "typical Chinese" or "Thai people act like this."

Look, what is a nation? It's a group of people that share history, culture, and familial ties. People of the same blood, same family, are going to have more in common physically with each other than with other groups, in general. Just like you could distinguish someone from my father's bloodline from a lineup of Zimbabweans (assuming you knew us), because we have certain particular features that are very distinct, someone familiar with Koreans could distinguish a Korean from a lineup of all Asians because there are certain features that are distinct. Also, historically, there has been strong cultural pressure against miscegenation in Korea, so Koreans in Korea tend to be less mixed than, say, Filipinos.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I already did.

In order to prove a point you made an immature claim because being right is more important to you than the rain of racist posts that will follow now, reinforcing a million stupid stereotypes about Asian people. And that makes you a twat.

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I already did.

In order to prove a point you made an immature claim because being right is more important to you than the rain of racist posts that will follow now, reinforcing a million stupid stereotypes about Asian people. And that makes you a twat.

Oh please.:rolleyes:

Plus, you just made a stereotype about people from the Midwest not possibly being culturally astute enough to know anything about anything else in the world.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What? You have the gall to roll your eyes at me after explaining to me that I may not be "familiar" enough with the Asian faces? You do realize that my family comes from Asia? And I've lived there? And I own a mirror?

I'm sorry, my friends and I all passed this test around about 8 years ago and none of us scored that high. I've had about 100 people take it, just because of me. It's changed since then (a lot) but I'm totally skeptical about your claim that you scored so high on your very first try. With the original test there were a lot more photos and they were chosen randomly and you could take the test over and over again, but eventually it would recycle through the same photos. I liked it better since you could retest.

Like I said before, I've lived in two out of three of those countries, so I think I'm really familiar with the faces, but thank you for the education. I'm also related to people from one of those countries, so I may have seen some faces there, too.

But it's obviously really important for you to be right about this. Why? Why do you feel the need to be Dr. Racist, expert on racial stereotypes?

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got 9 right. All the Japanese ones I got right, the Chinese and Korean I got mixed results. Pretty much as I predicted.

There are 6 of each. Japan is easier to distinguish because China and Korea used to be all the same country. Lots of wars and invasions there across that landmass. Japan as an island is a more isolated genetic pool, but they still have a wide range of different features that overlap the people of the other two countries.

Last edited:

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Very true. I've also not known many people from non-Japanese Asian cultures well.

I don't think sbat is being racist because I realise the point he's trying to make. But I think truly racist people could interpret what sbat is saying as supporting their arguments. The difference is that the truly racist people would likely think that all Chinese people (for example) look the same, whereas sbat is saying that they tend to share common features but on a scale so that some will look more like the stereotype and some will look less like the stereotype.

petite, you're right that it could start off a racist free for all, because of the misinterpretation I mentioned above. Even though sbat himself is not being racist (IMO).

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Very true. I've also not known many people from non-Japanese Asian cultures well.

I don't think sbat is being racist because I realise the point he's trying to make. But I think truly racist people could interpret what sbat is saying as supporting their arguments. The difference is that the truly racist people would likely think that all Chinese people (for example) look the same, whereas sbat is saying that they tend to share common features but on a scale so that some will look more like the stereotype and some will look less like the stereotype.

petite, you're right that it could start off a racist free for all, because of the misinterpretation I mentioned above. Even though sbat himself is not being racist (IMO).

His post on the previous page sounds racist to me. It sounds like the exact sort of thing the racist relatives I have would say when they argue that they're genetically superior to the rest of Asia and the rest of the world. He's just not an Asian person and he's saying it, which is weird to me. It's weird to me that a non-Asian person would have such personal pride that he's been able to learn the particular facial features that would distinguish a person from different parts of Asia. That sounds incredibly racist to me. Why would anyone go to such effort? And why the pride? Why the boasting? It's weird and creepy. Creepy like Dr. Mengele.

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What? You have the gall to roll your eyes at me after explaining to me that I may not be "familiar" enough with the Asian faces? You do realize that my family comes from Asia? And I've lived there? And I own a mirror?

I'm sorry, my friends and I all passed this test around about 8 years ago and none of us scored that high. I've had about 100 people take it, just because of me. It's changed since then (a lot) but I'm totally skeptical about your claim that you scored so high on your very first try. With the original test there were a lot more photos and they were chosen randomly and you could take the test over and over again, but eventually it would recycle through the same photos. I liked it better since you could retest.

Like I said before, I've lived in two out of three of those countries, so I think I'm really familiar with the faces, but thank you for the education. I'm also related to people from one of those countries, so I may have seen some faces there, too.

But it's obviously really important for you to be right about this. Why? Why do you feel the need to be Dr. Racist, expert on racial stereotypes?

I rolled my eyes because you used a stereotype about midwesterners to prove your point about me stereotyping. I also rolled my eyes at your exaggeration about me setting back race relations - me, who is in an interracial relationship, me who has business partners who are Thai, French, and Lebanese.

Look, I could say the same for you about being right. But if it makes you feel better, I retook it and got a 12. And then again, and I got a 13. Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge that some African guy who is from one of the most racially diverse parts of the world, who has lived his whole life around pretty much every major racial group, has gotten good at distinguishing between 3 or 4 Asian nationalities? You've seem to forgotten that I also said that my ability to distinguish between certain European groups is at best slightly better than 50/50. You've also forgotten that I also said that I couldn't distinguish between Laotian, Cambodian, or Vietnamese.

As for racism - has anyone ever made monkey noises at you? Or thrown bananas at you? Or refused to let you check-into in a hostel that you had paid for in advance in the middle of the night in the middle of winter because he "couldn't understand you" despite having all the proper ID?

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I originally found the site on an Asian forum, BTW, and you can believe that there was a lot of discussion about it at the time. I challenge you to go to one and post up all the things that you posted up here. Seriously. Try it. Just copy and paste. If you think my reaction was bad... :eek:

I'm sorry, but my skepticism is because I've already discussed that site with all my friends, when it was version 1.0, not version 11.01.06, and I've never known anyone to score that high. I posted it on my blog! So I was sure that you were just lying in order to prove an immature point because it was so important to you to be right. I apologize if you were being honest about your incredibly high score. Maybe the test isn't as good as it used to be. It certainly seems too short now to be very good.

The original version was endless. You just kept guessing faces and it kept track of your percent correct, which just kept changing as you tested more. After each photo it told you the actual race of the person you had just rated, which you would think would increase your score because you were "learning" to distinguish each race, but it didn't work out that way. People rarely ever scored very high at all, no matter how Asian or experienced with Asians they were. The problem was that it didn't keep track of whether it had already shown you a photo, so you could eventually cheat if you remembered what race a particular person was, so the more you played with it, the more easy it became to score higher, by simply remembering.

Your personal experiences with racism have been terrible, and no one should ever have to experience those things, but those experiences don't excuse you from behaving in a racist way towards other races.

Last edited:

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I originally found the site on an Asian forum, BTW, and you can believe that there was a lot of discussion about it at the time. I challenge you to go to one and post up all the things that you posted up here. Seriously. Try it. Just copy and paste. If you think my reaction was bad... :eek:

I'm sorry, but my skepticism is because I've already discussed that site with all my friends, when it was version 1.0, not version 11.01.06, and I've never known anyone to score that high. I posted it on my blog! So I was sure that you were just lying in order to prove an immature point because it was so important to you to be right. I apologize if you were being honest about your incredibly high score. Maybe the test isn't as good as it used to be. It certainly seems too short now to be very good.

The original version was endless. You just kept guessing faces and it kept track of your percent correct, which just kept changing as you tested more. After each photo it told you the actual race of the person you had just rated, which you would think would increase your score because you were "learning" to distinguish each race, but it didn't work out that way. People rarely ever scored very high at all, no matter how Asian or experienced with Asians they were. The problem was that it didn't keep track of whether it had already shown you a photo, so you could eventually cheat if you remembered what race a particular person was, so the more you played with it, the more easy it became to score higher, by simply remembering.

Your personal experiences with racism have been terrible, and no one should ever have to experience those things, but those experiences don't excuse you from behaving in a racist way towards other races.

The face one that I took on the link you gave was an 18 question multiple choice test. It gave you the answers all at once afterwards. They also try to trick you with the clothing or cosmetic stuff like piercings, shades, and colored hair, so some of it was logic and good test-taking skills on my part.

But honestly, I just don't get how being able to distinguish with high accuracy between 3 or 4 races is racist:confused: If I had made some additional conclusions, then I would understand - but I simply left it at that.

But, no matter. </end thread hijack>

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The face one that I took on the link you gave was an 18 question multiple choice test. It gave you the answers all at once afterwards. They also try to trick you with the clothing or cosmetic stuff like piercings, shades, and colored hair, so some of it was logic and good test-taking skills on my part.

But honestly, I just don't get how being able to distinguish with high accuracy between 3 or 4 races is racist:confused: If I had made some additional conclusions, then I would understand - but I simply left it at that.

But, no matter. </end thread hijack>

It's really not complicated.

Try telling a Korean person that all Koreans look the same. Or a Japanese person or a Chinese person.*

Then see if they are less offended if you continue making lots of arguments that you are correct that all the people from their nation looks the same.

They will be offended.

* I honestly don't recommend this.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Why the fuck does it matter if someone knows Asian faces and they aren't Asian? That alone is a stereotype. It's obvious Petite is very defensive about non-Asian people knowing Asian features enough to pick them out as good as she can, or better. I have no idea why this is a big deal or even considered Racist at all. It's more racist to feel superior about your own race than another race knowing about your race.

My Mom studies Native American culture, why we aren't much indian in the big picture of genetics, she can pick out whether someone is Crow, Creek, Freeman, Shawnee, etc. and even smaller sects of Native Americans no one seems to know about. She can tell by their nose, jawline, eyes, etc. I don't think other Natives would be offended by her knowing their features so well.

I'd consider it an honor if another race studies my race's physical features or culture so much to the point where they might actually know more than i do about it. It says a lot about how they might favor my race or be attracted to "my people"

Petite, you are getting way too offended in this topic if you ask me. But then again I'm not Asian but i don't think that really matters because we are all something.

And I'm sure to most other very distinct groups of people- all of us "white" people look the same. I'm not offended in the least. Why should i be? They are used to what they are around all the time and notice more about their own culture than anyone elses too.

I've seen your personality change immensely in your short time here. There are various possibilities as to why. It's not really any of our business. But if LPSG frustrates you to this degree, why not take a break? Every day i'm seeing you in conflict in multiple threads with multiple people. I don't see many others getting accused as often as you are in threads or someone accusing others so often as you do. I'm beginning to wonder why you are here if you are defending your position 98% of the time? I wouldn't want to be anywhere that i had to argue that much about every little thing on a daily basis.

Sometimes LPSG gets sour and taking a break is about the only thing you can do, short of being banned for going over the line in the mess of anger. It's happened to me twice. When i start to feel myself heat up with anger regularly here i have to take a breather.

Last edited by a moderator:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mlle. Rouge, I'm sure that you don't understand why hearing that all Asian people look the same would hit a nerve, and that's fine if you don't understand. You aren't Asian, you didn't grow up hearing it.

You mentioned that you are Native American and that's not a racial slur used against Native Americans. People don't say that about Native Americans, that they all look the same. It's not one of the taunts used against them. You might as well argue that you think white people look like monkeys and say that that doesn't offend you. It misses the point completely about why it would offend someone else of a different race.

You don't need to understand why. Like I said earlier in this thread, the word "Oriental" never offended me because I have no ancestors who were indentured servants, but knowing that the term is offensive to other people is reason enough for me to avoid it. I am careful about not using it, even though that term means nothing to me personally because it matters to me that I don't hurt someone else, even unintentionally.

Last edited:

abriel

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Thank you for explaining what I think should be quite clear to most regarding this topic.

The majority of the population at this time is caucasian. For an American Asian (and this is a reasonable distinction to make) - if they are raised in this type of environment their ideals of attractiveness are going to favor white men. A couple of other individuals posting also brought up the excellent point that Asian cultures value most people of the same national origin/heritage/culture first, then Asians from other Asian cultures (there is a sense of cultural superiority - I would argue this is true of many countries/nationalities not just Asains). Another point of view would also understand that Asians seeking other Asians could also represent a desire for shared common experiences and understanding as a minority in the US.

As an American Asian woman, most if not all of my friends who are Asian Asian women date Asian men. Most of my American Asian women friends date Asian men. Some of us who identify more with American culture, and who frankly grew up in predominantly white communities without much Asian cultural influence, tend to date or seek relationships with men outside of our culture because that is what we have learned to be attractive. And some of us who identify more with American culture, date the men who we find the most interesting regardless of race.

I certainly do not presume to speak for all Asian women, but the presumed size of the male penis based upon race is not going to be the primary driving factor for the selection of a boyfriend/partner. For one it is not necessarily accurate - I have had white lovers of average size and Asians who were big. And secondly it is ridiculous to make the generalization that ALL Asian women are so shallow as to only consider penis size the primary criterion for a relationship. If you are having difficulties attracting an Asain woman, perhaps you should rethink what you are projecting in your approach.

Thank you.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Because I'm not around very many Asian people- they mostly look similar until you get to know them personally and look at them closely. That isnt a racial insult. We all see faces differently.

For example- when you look at Bjork the first think you think is "That chick has some Asian in her somewhere" why? Because of her eyes. They are so unique and Asian in appearance compared to other "white" people.

My husband knows Asian races distinctly, we've only ever lived in Oklahoma but he knew many Asian Indians as well in math and science school. He can pick out things i couldnt possibly notice. But he hung out with a lot of them to learn features.

I can pick out a Vietnamese person instantly. My Uncle and his family is from Vietnam, he told us what to look for in their faces. When i eat at authentic Asian restaurants i talk to our chef or waitress and usually i'm correct in their country of origin.

All persian cats look similar at first too, until you begin to know how a himalayan cat looks different from a persian cat, but non-persian cat owners wouldnt know. Anything you study or become a part of has more and more distinguishing characteristics to you.

I have dozens of hermit crabs, those ugly things all looked equally the same to me, now i know who is who for the most part even if they change shells. It's just time and involvement. Same goes for either thinking all of something looks the same or that all of something doesn't look the same anymore to you.

BTW i only got 10 out of the 18 correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

abriel

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Okay, a couple of things. I don't have time to read through the entire thread.
Forgive me if I hit anything that's already been covered and resolved.

First, my understanding is that things are oriental. People are Asian.
That was explained to me by an Asian American guy that was distinctly offended when I referred to my self as Oriental.
I didn't know because I grew up in a community that had no other Asian families, blended or otherwise, and my mother didn't know.

The term "half breed" carries a negative connotation. If you don't understand that on some level then it is only because you have never been called that.
My Asian-American friends and I kiddingly refer to ourselves as 'hybrids'.

I'll probably be back to add to this when I have a chance to read the entire thread.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's really not complicated.

Try telling a Korean person that all Koreans look the same. Or a Japanese person or a Chinese person.*

Then see if they are less offended if you continue making lots of arguments that you are correct that all the people from their nation looks the same.

They will be offended.

* I honestly don't recommend this.

Since I'm sure that lots of other people are going to jump in here and tell about how they're also amateur physical anthropologists who specialize in the Asians race and share their own Asian stereotypes, so I'm just going to leave it, because this thread just keeps returning to the beginning of this argument and has become completely focused on stereotype spreading. I really have nothing more to say about it.