For believers, is the god of christianity the same god of judaism and islam?

The Old Testament is the same for Christian's Jews and Muslims. The New Testament is just for Christians.
But the "God" is the same for the three religions. This three religions are also known as "the book religions" (I'm not sure if I'm English you use this, in Spanish we do), because they share the old testament.
Notice that Jesus was (suppose to be) jewish.

brody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As the author points out, there are different emphases in the theologies of the 3 big monotheistic religions,
but at their core they basically are the same. This is what the esoteric teachings say about the inner dimension of Judaism (Kabbalah) Islam (Sufism) and Christianity (Gnosticism): All human beings are created with a divine spark within themselves, and this is why they long for a close communion with God.

Reactions: LaFemme

Fred90

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, the God of Christianity has a son. The God of the Koran does not. That is why I don't agree with the belief that Christians and Muslims are worshiping the same God.

Media
That's why I put "for believers" in the thread as I know from experience that atheists love to troll such threads.
Well, the God of Christianity has a son. The God of the Koran does not. That is why I don't agree with the belief that Christians and Muslims are worshiping the same God.
Is the intent of this thread theological or political?

Not that I'm an expert in religion, but from what I know, all 3 religions are Abrahamic religions (meaning they all believe in Abraham) and have many similarities, so they all believe in the same God. As previously pointed out, the Torah is the same as the old testament in the Bible. Many of the stories in the old testament are believed by all 3 religions such as the stories of Adam and Eve, Moses and Noah. There are probably more stories they have in common that I'm not aware of. The new testament is for Christians only. Jesus was Jewish (so Jews acknowledge his existence). Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God. Muslims believe that Jesus is a prophet (he is mentioned in the Koran) like Mohammed, but not the son of God. A colleague of mine was doing research on this for her Master's degree. I know people that are Jewish and Muslim who have confirmed what I just mentioned. We have more in common than most people realize because religious zealots, politicians and politics in general have demonized other religions to further their own agendas (all religions are guilty of this). A quick Google search of the facts I have mentioned will confirm this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
That's why I put "for believers" in the thread as I know from experience that atheists love to troll such threads.

I am an atheist but I will give you a sincere answer from what my understanding is...

I was raised Catholic, and was taught that it is in fact the same God in all three of those religions.

So that's been my understanding since I was a young warthog... For whatever it's worth.

No trolling, just wanted to join the conversation because I thought my contribution was relevant. (I'm pretty sure there other gentleman you were responding to wasn't trolling either)

Another thought, just for shiggles... You don't have to be religious to study the teachings.

Fred90

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not that I'm an expert in religion, but from what I know, all 3 religions are Abrahamic religions (meaning they all believe in Abraham) and have many similarities, so they all believe in the same God. As previously pointed out, the Torah is the same as the old testament in the Bible. Many of the stories in the old testament are believed by all 3 religions such as the stories of Adam and Eve, Moses and Noah. There are probably more stories they have in common that I'm not aware of. The new testament is for Christians only. Jesus was Jewish (so Jews acknowledge his existence). Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God. Muslims believe that Jesus is a prophet (he is mentioned in the Koran) like Mohammed, but not the son of God. A colleague of mine was doing research on this for her Master's degree. I know people that are Jewish and Muslim who have confirmed what I just mentioned. We have more in common than most people realize because religious zealots, politicians and politics in general have demonized other religions to further their own agendas (all religions are guilty of this). A quick Google search of the facts I have mentioned will confirm this.

Thanks for the feedback. However, there is no mention in the Koran of Allah having a son and, additionally, Islam regards Jesus as merely a prophet. How should one reconcile this disparity?

Thanks for the feedback. However, there is no mention in the Koran of Allah having a son and, additionally, Islam regards Jesus as merely a prophet. How should one reconcile this disparity?

As far as I know, only Christians believe in God having a son. I know that Jews acknowledge the existence of Jesus, but I'm not sure how they regard him. Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet (one of many) and that Mohammad was the final prophet, so this is why Muslims hold Mohammad in such high regard.

As I mentioned, I'm by no means an expert on this. What I do find fascinating though is that we have more in common than what divides us.

D

deleted15807

You’re a fool to think you can limit the posts to “believers”.

Reactions: b.c.
Media
You don't have to be religious to study the teachings.
Excellent point. There are many “non-believers” who are more scholarly and knowledgeable of the various religions; and, in daily practice, better examples of the best qualities promoted by these religions.
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”—Mahatma Gandhi

It seems when religious based politics needs divisiveness, the concept of a different divinity is used to create separation and allow discrimination. Rather than using religious texts for the betterment of humanity, they are manipulated to create fear and distrust. You don’t need to be an adherent of religion to be a good person.

Fred90

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”—Mahatma Gandhi

That quote has been attributed to Gandhi, but there seems to be some uncertainty as to whether he actually said those things. But, if Gandhi didn't like Christians, I wonder what his opinion of secularists was. Between Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc., they managed to murder perhaps close to 100 million.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Well, in the end, whether one believes or not comes down to FAITH.

And I don't have any. I also have no issues with the fact that you do.

Have a good day, I'll be trying to do the same.