For Claire Talon...

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SpeedoGuy said:
Now that she's back....

A web page featuring an assortment of (mainly) aviation blooper photos and videos. Some humorous, some not-so-humorous. All interesting.

http://www.micom.net/oops/

Indeed, some very interesting things there, I know about some of those accidents. I don't know, but my impression is that thrust reversers on turboprops seem to be a closed book to many of the pilots (see the Commuter-Crash for that), some managed to flip the safely landed plane by applying it, others crashed it by applying reversers on final in an attempt to step on the brakes.

geitjeshoeder

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Where did i park my car...

hmmmm

It's%20a%20boy.jpg

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
blooper story from pal who worked in northern Canada in the 80's

setting: remote arctic summer camp engaged in field studies.
hero: pilot delivering (and testing) brand new helicopter, sold to to an oil company
mission: impress the hot single young female scientist working at camp, where he visited to drop supplies and shoot the breeze.

stunt: power take-off by propelling the 'copter into fast forward by dramatically tilting the rotars and sweeping along horizontally a few feet above ground

miscue: hitting rotar into the ground and totalling it

outcome: he lived, but had a hell of a lot of explaining to do :eek:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I thought some of the film clips were pretty dramatic (and tragic). The P-38 crash and the Airbus 320 dragging through the treetops come to mind. The MD-80 hard landing was a stunner. The Concorde lifting off with its engines aflame was possibly the saddest.

On a happier note here's a really cool .wmv video for aviation flim lovers. All I can say is: Buckle your harness tightly and turn up the stereo speakers loud because the soundtrack really rocks!:cool:

...let the sound take you away.....

http://raf.union.rpi.edu/downloads/f18_ride.wmv

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SpeedoGuy said:
I thought some of the film clips were pretty dramatic (and tragic). The P-38 crash and the Airbus 320 dragging through the treetops come to mind. The MD-80 hard landing was a stunner. The Concorde lifting off with its engines aflame was possibly the saddest.

You're making a good point there, that's why I'm not sure the site should be called anything like "bloopers", which would suggest 'funny' mishaps. I have had a long conversation with thirteenbyseven about the A-320 doing the tree landing, that happened in 1988, and still is dragging a jurisdictional appendix along, mainly after a french court declared a lot of the evidence used during the first trial against the pilot as falsified, and also covered up a lot of shit done probably to protect the plane maker, which are reasons why the pilot is now suing the company to restore his reputation.

The Concorde take-off is the saddest. I've seen the French preliminary accident report, which also had the raw-data readouts from the DFDR attached; that guy didn't have the tick of a chance. two engines failed (No. 1 + 2), and a third starting to fail (No. 3, inboard right).

Plane crashes are sad, ever.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
ClaireTalon said:
You're making a good point there, that's why I'm not sure the site should be called anything like "bloopers",.

Agreed. Perhaps "oops list" is not the best name for it because it makes light of some sad accidents.

ClaireTalon said:
The Concorde take-off is the saddest. I've seen the French preliminary accident report, which also had the raw-data readouts from the DFDR attached; that guy didn't have the tick of a chance. two engines failed (No. 1 + 2), and a third starting to fail (No. 3, inboard right).

I remember reading that Air France was going to try to bring suit against Continental Airlines due to some debris lying on the runway that may have impacted the Concorde and punctured its fuel lines. Air France was trying to make the case that the debris had fallen off a Continental jet which had used the runway ealier. Do you know if this suit ever went anywhere?

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SpeedoGuy said:
Agreed. Perhaps "oops list" is not the best name for it because it makes light of some sad accidents.

I remember reading that Air France was going to try to bring suit against Continental Airlines due to some debris lying on the runway that may have impacted the Concorde and punctured its fuel lines. Air France was trying to make the case that the debris had fallen off a Continental jet which had used the runway ealier. Do you know if this suit ever went anywhere?

Not that I knew of. I heard there was a lot of investigation being done, and the metal piece in question was indentified positively as plate fin of the nozzle of a CF-6-50 engine (as it is used on the DC-10-30 type, as well as on the Airbus A-300), but the a trial couldn't be mounted because the identification wasn't positive for a SPECIFIC plane, and even if, it was impossible to say whether it was bad maintenance, or human failure that it came loose. That evidence was so flimsy, even a French prosecutor couldn't build a case for a French airline from it. Case closed.