For Crawford Fans...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Elijah_MorganWood, Mar 31, 2006.

1. D_Elijah_MorganWood

D_Elijah_MorganWood New Member

This is one of the better Joan Crawford montages I've seen. It has a decent chunk of her (81) films and rare footage from television. It was obviously "made with love".
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=5goOPgau7Vs

2. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Sorc, you need a disclaimer on this thread: "For professional homos only. Amateurs be warned."

But, then again, I guess "For Crawford Fans..." basically says the same thing.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Not to rain on your parade, but Faye Dunaway did a great job cleaning the riff raff out of Christine's closet.

4. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

With all due respect Pecker, I think Faye Dunaway is an overacting, melodramatic egomaniac. The last good role she had was in Bonnie and Clyde. She's regretted doing that role (Mommie Dearest) since it ended production and says she's "haunted" by her nasty representation of Joan Crawford.

Much as I enjoy the movie for its camp value, I never actually think it's Crawford.

That travesty Mommie Dearest where she put on her kabuki makeup in feeble attempt to portray the late great Joan Crawford (born Lucille LeSueur) single-handedly destroyed the legend that is Crawford. Much as it went unreported many of Joan's contemporaries in Hollywood decried Christina's rendition of the over-the-top retelling of her life story with Joan Crawford.

Christina was just pissed off she didn't get a cut of her mother's estate when Joan died in 1977. In fact the "twins" (Joan's adopted younger children) say that Joan was, in fact, "a loving mother" and have not spoken to their elder sister since that book was published.

Sorcerer? I'm a Crawford fanatic! I've seen everything she was ever in. My two favorites are the 1932 version of Possessed with Clark Gable. There's a scene in that movie where Joan plays piano and sings "How Long Will it Last" that's got to be the most amazingly charming period clip of celluloid to remain from that amazing era. The other is A Woman's Face made just prior to Midlred Pierce (for which she received her only Oscar).

Crawford (in her 20s) was a singular beauty and for any who'd doubt it there's a wonderful coffee table book called "Four Fabulous Faces" (Crawford, Garbo, Dietrich, and Swanson) that'll substantiate.

Glad to find another Crawford aficionado on the board Sorcerer!

Here are a couple of early shots (the last one is Gillian Anderson who many think bears a striking resemblance to a young Crawford):

Attached Files:

5. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Lump me in there too then Hung. In order of fagginess:

1) Crawford

2) Streisand

You can kick Madonna, Garland, Cher and the rest of the gay icons to the curb (though they have a certain marginal appeal and Garland's personality is vulnerably wonderful)

But it when it comes to being a card carrying queen with regard to real beauty and talent I fall right into the mould.

Crawford is beyond comparison and La Streisand is a cameleon and arguably the greatest singer (in her genre) known.

6. windtalkerways

Gold Member

Amazing montage, Sorc.

Wow, that must have taken ages
    to craft! Thanks for sharing! :smile:

7. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    really enjoyed that...lots of work putting that together...passed it on to sveral movie buffs..thanks

8. D_Elijah_MorganWood

@Stronzo-
    I just posted TWO very long responses with inserted quotes and the board malfunctioned both times so...

"Mommie Dearest" was an entertaining piece of sh..fiction based on the life of Joan Crawford. The book was very different and it wasn't accurate! Cathy (one of the "twins") said of Christina when the book was released "she's a fucking liar". By most accounts, Christina was a willful, hateful, dreadful child. She was very good at pushing her mother's buttons and did so on a regular basis. If you don't believe me, ask Debbie Reynolds. She's very approachable. Cathy and Cindy didn't have the problems with their mother that Christina and Christopher did. I guess that's why they were inexplicably omitted from the movie. What would have been interesting...if B.D. Davis' book about her mother (Bette Davis) would have come out first. Drag queens would be running around dressed like her shrieking something comparable to "NO WIRE HANGERS!" Bookwise, the latter was as scathing as the former. I don't know about it's accuracy.

My personal "Joan" collection is extensive. In the room I'm in which is my home office, I have framed magazines such as Look, Pic and Movie Story. I have some framed lobby cards and stamped studio press pics and a gorgeous original Hurrell (stamped "Hurrell") in front of me. The autographed pic is at my office. She keeps me in line. My hallway is wallpapered in 20's and 30's sheet music, some of it "Joan". I have several one-sheets, one is a signed and numbered Berserk litho. Framed, it's as big as a refrigerator. I killed the frame when moving and haven't re-framed it. I have 60something Joan films, most of her television appearances and movies...yes, I'm a total freak.

She was the most photographed woman of the 30's, the first bona fide "Movie Star", the most prolific major actress (81 films). She survived the transition to talkies and worked for 6 decades. Love her or hate her...she was an original.
    http://www.hollywoodcelebrityphotographs.com/imageslg/1166B.jpg

9. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I never heard of Debbie Reynolds commenting on Joan. What was her take?

10. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Definitely agree about Madonna and Cher, but please don't touch my Judy. She is a goddess, and her death (kinda) kicking off the Stonewall riots, sort of coincidentally maybe, elevates her to legendary status.

But, that daughter of hers. Oh my God. Did you see her on Larry King a few weeks ago? She's nuts. Crazy with a z.

At least she followed her mama's tradition of marrying gay men.

11. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Who needed to watch Larry King? Any public appearance in the past 10 years should be evidence enough of her mental state... :rolleyes:

12. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh man, Liza rocks...have seen her in concert. Unbelievable stage persona,

13. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

For Sorcerer-

It's amazing to find another Crawford fanatic who's so aware of the truth behind the legend. I actually wrote to Cathy several years ago and got a very courteous response because I was trying to trace Joan's maternal ancestry through her mother's side Anna Bell (Johnson) (LeSueur) Cassin. Joan's mother died in the 1940s in Los Angeles and by then had taken on the Crawford surname. Similarly Joan's brother Hal Hayes LeSueur tried to make a go of it in Hollywood and there's a wonderful photo of the two of them in the 1930s. He died, I understand, of a veneral disease. And he and Joan never particularly liked one another.

As it turned out Joan supported them both.

On Joan's father's tombstone it says simply:

Thomas LeSueur 1866-1938

"father of MGM movie star Joan Crawford"

And though Joan only met her father as adult once and after she'd become very famous in Hollywood those who saw him said it was eerie they resembled one another so much.

Brother Hal's daughter was named Joan Crawford LeSueur after her famous aunt.

I have the sheet music for "How Long Will it Last" from the movie Possessed with Joan and Clark Gable and it's one of my prized pieces Crawford memorabilia.

Here's a link to Crawford's ancestry through her father who descended from French Huguenots:
    http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2701492&id=I549833553

Additionally, my boyfriend gave me a bread and butter note signed by Crawford (from 1964) when she was living in her New York City penthouse after the death of Alfred Steele.

Attached Files:

14. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Yes, I apologize Judy's pretty terrific. Did you know her father was gay too?

15. CuriousGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks Sorcerer, wow, what a great find. And Stronzo, thanks for all the info about this legend. I've always thought she got such a raw deal from the way she was portrayed in "Mommie Dearest."

16. D_Elijah_MorganWood

Debbie Reynolds and Joan were very good friends. She witnessed Christina's awful treatment of her mother for years. She has staunchly stood up for Joan since Mommie and is one of the only ones who are still living who can do so from first-hand experience.

Anne Bancroft was originally cast in the lead role of "Mommie Dearest". She backed out in the first week of production after realising just how the movie was making her good friend look. As some of you already know, Joan accepted the Academy Award for Best Actress in The Miracle Worker on Bancroft's behalf. Bette Davis was livid, believing Joan deliberately upstaged her moments after she didn't win for Baby Jane.

17. speshk

speshk New Member

Not even a fan of Joan but have enjoyed that video several times now.

LMAO.

It's crack!

Draft saved Draft deleted