For those married 20 years +

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
As someone that has been married 10 years and with the man for 14, I can only offer this:

1) Never stop "dating". Marriage can put people in a comfort zone and they don't think they have to try with each other anymore. So keep making time for each other, especially when shit gets rough....and it will. They say "those who play together, stay together" for a good reason.

2) Go with the flow. Relationships, people, life, situations change. If you do not bend, you will absolutely break. It doesn't mean compromise yourself and your happiness, just be willing to actually ride it out and see where it takes you. You might be surprised at where you and your significant other land.

3) Most arguments are about stupid shit....and it's not worth it. It might be satisfying in the beginning, but on the long term it breeds resentment. It's better to walk away from each other, calm down and collect your thoughts. You might just say something you'll regret.

4) Know your partner's idiosyncrasies and take them with a sense of humor. Eventually maddens you might just be what comforts you because you know you're home.

5) Be prepared to be your spouse's rock....and know how to comfort them when they need you. This means being a good listener and learning empathy.

and, while I have other stuff I could add, I'll end with this:

6) It's not forever, so value the time you have with that person. That special person could be gone in a flash because you never know what's around the corner. Appreciate that person faults and all, and ask for the same in kind. If you're lucky, you will live to grow old, fat, wrinkly and senile together.

:smile: