For those who Don't get their Health Care from their employer

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Dear slurpeer_la:

I volunteer to shove the barbed wire up John Boehner's ass. But if I do, I'll prevent it from ever being removed.

That's a good idea about suspending all health care for congressmen and senators. I like that idea a lot. A real lot, as in mucho.

MLB

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dear slurpeer_la:

I volunteer to shove the barbed wire up John Boehner's ass. But if I do, I'll prevent it from ever being removed.

That's a good idea about suspending all health care for congressmen and senators. I like that idea a lot. A real lot, as in mucho.

MLB

Sue somebody.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Uh Oh, the starpooper is back with more poop to throw. I wonder why he's never mentioned anything about health insurance companies being basically immune from anti-trust laws in the USA? He must own 2.5 shares of Kaiser-Permanente or something in his 401K that used to be work $250, but is now still around $31.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have mine through SAG union. It went up from $1,200.00 quarterly to $1,600.00 quarterly for health, dental and vision. I was bitching about it until I read this thread.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Uh Oh, the starpooper is back with more poop to throw. I wonder why he's never mentioned anything about health insurance companies being basically immune from anti-trust laws in the USA?

Actually, I'm in complete agreement on this issue. It really upsets me.

He must own 2.5 shares of Kaiser-Permanente or something in his 401K that used to be work $250, but is now still around $31.

No healthcare. Do have some pharm - MRK and PFE.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, thanks republitards.
Truly a shame that grotesque, bloodthirsty lawyers like John Kerry have pillaged billions in lawsuits against doctors and ultimately insurance companies, which has driven up insurance costs and doctors' liability coverage to levels that are driving good doctors out of the business altogether.

Sue, sue, sue. Sue every corporation. Those greedy bastards.

Oops. Everyone's insurance premiums are going up? Aw shucks. Its the evil insurance companies!! John Edwards is fighting against the evil corporation!!!!

Since the beginning of time, the notion of insurance is simply spreading risk among a group of people. With the advent of multimillion dollar lawsuits being borne amongst liberal lawyers, that risk has escalated into the stratosphere - which has caused skyrocketing insurance premiums.

Thanks again liberal lawyers. John Kerry. Stan Chesley. The rest of you disgusting gutter rats that have singlehandedly annihilated the insurance business. Oh - and 40% of the take on a settlement seems like real justice you fucking lowlifes.

Oops, i meant John Edwards.

Freudian slip? Weird.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Yes, thanks republitards.

Truly a shame that grotesque, bloodthirsty lawyers like John Kerry have pillaged billions in lawsuits against doctors and ultimately insurance companies, which has driven up insurance costs and doctors' liability coverage to levels that are driving good doctors out of the business altogether.

Sue, sue, sue. Sue every corporation. Those greedy bastards.

Oops. Everyone's insurance premiums are going up? Aw shucks. Its the evil insurance companies!! John Edwards is fighting against the evil corporation!!!!

Since the beginning of time, the notion of insurance is simply spreading risk among a group of people. With the advent of multimillion dollar lawsuits being borne amongst liberal lawyers, that risk has escalated into the stratosphere - which has caused skyrocketing insurance premiums.

Thanks again liberal lawyers. John Kerry. Stan Chesley. The rest of you disgusting gutter rats that have singlehandedly annihilated the insurance business. Oh - and 40% of the take on a settlement seems like real justice you fucking lowlifes.
It so happens that I am in favor of tort reform within reasonable limits. However, the costs attributable to this, either directly or indirectly, within the grand scheme of the amount of money wasted within the system are a drop in the bucket. For you (and the Republicans in Congress) to fixate on this to the exclusion of so many other problems demonstrates:

a.) your extreme myopia.
b.) your lack of understanding the complexities of the issue.
c.) your determination to point fingers and deliberately distract from many much larger problems.
d.) your allegiance to corporate interests and profits above all else to the detriment of the consumer.
e.) all of the above.

I pick e.) all of the above.

As for you obsessively requoting my same comment above, I don't understand the point of that. It should be clear to you that Republicans have stood in the way of any meaningful reform to the healthcare system, now and for some time. Fortunately and finally, this is becoming clear to the American people as well. I don't think ultimately that will play well for your party. My comment, in case you didn't get it, was understated, intentionally flip and very personal. Without knowing my insurance and medical situation, I would suggest you let this one go.

Last edited:

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mine went up 20% this year. And that's in Texas where we have had medical malpractice limits for several years now which is supposed to reduce our costs. Hasn't happened......whatever cost savings there are sure are not trickling down to we normal folk. On top of my increase, I have pre-existing conditions which are not covered. On top of that, I pay property taxes towards the public hospital here while white suburban conservatives pay nothing to the public hospital (different county) but send there indigent citizens to my county hospital. How is that fair?

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
. . . Then I'd like to shove a barbed stick up John Boehner's ass and see how much it will cost him to have it removed by a doctor.
. . . I volunteer to shove the barbed wire up John Boehner's ass. But if I do, I'll prevent it from ever being removed.
Funny you all should mention this. Watching the summit yesterday, I observed to a friend that in addition to being more tan than George Hamilton and more bleary-eyed than Nick Nolte on a four day binge, everytime I see John Boner it looks like his butt stick has gotten bigger. He's a notorious boozer btw, and probably passed out in his tanning bed again.

I never saw such an assemblage of smartasses and sourpusses as the Republicans at that table. McCain looked to have the biggest butt stick of all, not surprising. Those boys really don't like being forced into an honest discussion, and being shown up as the liars, dissemblers and blame shifters they are - especially when the cameras are rolling. If looks could kill, there wouldn't have been a Democrat alive at the end. Petulance on parade.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Mine went up 20% this year. And that's in Texas where we have had medical malpractice limits for several years now which is supposed to reduce our costs. Hasn't happened......whatever cost savings there are sure are not trickling down to we normal folk. . . .
So there you go: Tort reform = Straw man = bigger profits

Anyone surprised?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
For you (and the Republicans in Congress) to fixate on this to the exclusion of so many other problems demonstrates:

a.) your extreme myopia.
b.) your lack of understanding the complexities of the issue.
c.) your determination to point fingers and deliberately distract from many much larger problems.
d.) your allegiance to corporate interests and profits above all else to the detriment of the consumer.
e.) all of the above.

I pick e.) all of the above.
I don't agree with 'B' above. I think the Republicans understand the complexities quite well. If they didn't, they wouldn't be doing 'C'. Their purpose is to defeat the Dems at any cost and more importantly, to do the bidding of their corporate masters.

Anyone else notice that until Obama and the Democrats came to power, they never had any healthcare reform plans whatsoever? Now Lamar Alexander says, "We believe we have a better idea," he said. "Our views represent the views of a great number of American people." Until now, their only idea was to help the insurers and others in the medical business fleece the US people and economy out of trillions of wasted dollars.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I don't agree with 'B' above. I think the Republicans understand the complexities quite well. If they didn't, they wouldn't be doing 'C'. Their purpose is to defeat the Dems at any cost and more importantly, to do the bidding of their corporate masters.

Anyone else notice that until Obama and the Democrats came to power, they never had any healthcare reform plans whatsoever? Now Lamar Alexander says, "We believe we have a better idea," he said. "Our views represent the views of a great number of American people." Until now, their only idea was to help the insurers and others in the medical business fleece the US people and economy out of trillions of wasted dollars.
You're right about 'B' Vince, at least the smarter ones get it, which makes it all the more cynical and insidious. The rest of your comments too are spot on.

As for Lamar Alexander, I am so ashamed of the senator from Tennessee right now. He's generally a moderate and one of the more bi-partisan Republicans. I actually supported him in his first successful run for governor here. (Are you paying attention, starpoop? Ohslow? NeoCons?? So much for my "Libertard" status, eh?)

I don't understand what he's doing now, as he was just reelected and is pretty much untouchable in this state. All I can figure is, like Olympia Snowe, he's been drinking too much of the Kool-Aid and getting his talking points from Trinity.

Last edited:

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So there you go: Tort reform = Straw man = bigger profits

Anyone surprised?

now now... let's be at least a little bit fair about this. the insurers, but mostly big pharma, want reform so they don't have to pay lawyers to draft the language or the actors to recite the boilerplate lines at breakneck speed at the end of their commercials warning that their hard dick medicine can cause diarrhea, anxiety, high blood pressure or sudden death from a heart attack - "consult your doctor if..."

that line; "...consult your doctor..." oft repeated in these commercials is a dead give-away to the end game goal of big pharma... they want to eliminate the middleman - DOCTORS - and just hand out their junk medicine like so much candy at Halloween but with big price tags attached.

I recall my father battling with a mail order drug supplier dedicated to servicing veterans. he once received a shipment with a drug different than that prescribed by his doctor. when he called to inquire and request a reshipment he was advised, by the telephone operator no less, that "THEY" thought the medication shipped was better than that prescribed by the doctor. the ensuing fight was not pretty and lasted two months.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
We pay through our taxes. Which may be a little higher, but not 600 to 800 dollars a month higher. Costs are lower due to the non-profit insurance plan, less litigation and less paperwork for providers to handle.

Fortunately for us, our health care is not dependent on a company plan, so the net rate for just me is about half of what Industrial is paying (about $425). Since it is an HMO, the fee per visit is a reasonable $50, but there are no additional costs, such as copays or deductibles.

In looking at Canadian health care costs in Ontario, it appears that you guys pay $300-900 per month, depending on income. And although your sales tax rates are quite a bit higher, your income taxes are about the same. Seems pretty sane, although I'll bet the $20K income division, where if your income is below means free health care, and if above paying, gets manipulated.

The 40M who are uninsured here are not all there because they cannot pay. Some, with justification, refuse to pay bloated insurance premiums, but they run the risk of bankruptcy if they have protracted hospital stay. OTOH - I have family in another state, all healthy, who cannot obtain insurance, despite being willing to pay up to $2K a month for a family of 4. The system is wildly uneven as it's "regulated" on a state by state basis, which is why there should be a national standard of both rates and risk, which can be adjusted by state with mandatory insurance, at least on a catastrophic level.

Funny you all should mention this... everytime I see John Boner it looks like his butt stick has gotten bigger. He's a notorious boozer btw, and probably passed out in his tanning bed again.

You took the words right outta my mouth! The man must use a tanning bed as his bed. And Rumi ain't a poet in his eye either.

I also totally agree with your point on limited tort reform. As Querc pointed out, tort reform doesn't lower your rates. Part of reason litigation is part of the mix is because for profit doctors and hospitals routinely rush patients in and out, with a limited understanding of who they are treating. At best it makes patients conditions, at worst mistakes waiting to happen. And in the case of fatal ones, even successful litigation is an extremely limited means of redress, if any at all.

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In looking at Canadian health care costs in Ontario, it appears that you guys pay $300-900 per month, depending on income. And although your sales tax rates are quite a bit higher, your income taxes are about the same. Seems pretty sane, although I'll bet the $20K income division, where if your income is below means free health care, and if above paying, gets manipulated.

QUOTE]

$300-900 monthly? Where are you getting these figures? Ontario can't be much different from Alberta, and we pay nowhere near that amount, even for extended coverage. Are you trying to calculate how much is paid from tax revenues? If so, good luck, provincial finance ministers can't seem to figure it out. BTW, no sales tax in Alberta.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Fortunately for us, our health care is not dependent on a company plan, so the net rate for just me is about half of what Industrial is paying (about $425). Since it is an HMO, the fee per visit is a reasonable $50, but there are no additional costs, such as copays or deductibles.

The 40M who are uninsured here are not all there because they cannot pay. Some, with justification, refuse to pay bloated insurance premiums, but they run the risk of bankruptcy if they have protracted hospital stay. OTOH - I have family in another state, all healthy, who cannot obtain insurance, despite being willing to pay up to $2K a month for a family of 4. The system is wildly uneven as it's "regulated" on a state by state basis, which is why there should be a national standard of both rates and risk, which can be adjusted by state with mandatory insurance, at least on a catastrophic level.
I seem to recall the Industrial has a private, not a company plan. I could be wrong, but as you said, the system of rates and benefits is wildly uneven and seems somewhat capricious and arbitrary.

I'm interested to know how you calculated the costs in Ontario. You must mean the portion of tax devoted to healthcare?

edit- Out of curiosity, I went looking for info on costs in Canada. According to this article in Wiki, per-capita costs are $4089 in 2009. Thats $340 per month for everyman woman and child. Obviously not per taxpayer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada

The article is a clear explanation of the healthcare system in Canada.

Last edited:

Holistic_Harry

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I live in Ontario and we don't pay anything per month. OHIP is entirely payed for out of taxes. Alberta is our most right wing province these days and their politicians have made their health care less public and more private.

Canadians generally have been looking on the Health Care insurance reforms in the USA with a bit of confusion. I've noticed that the Republicans in their zeal to defeat the Democratic motions have misrepresented the Canadian health care system. Just so that you know, generally the World Health Organization rates Canadian health care as being in the top ten in the world. I think that this year it slipped to 16th. But to give you a comparison generally the USA ranks around 40th in the world, often below Cuba or Venezuala and such. But you do have the most EXPENSIVE health care system in the world.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Canadians generally have been looking on the Health Care insurance reforms in the USA with a bit of confusion....to give you a comparison generally the USA ranks around 40th in the world, often below Cuba or Venezuala and such. But you do have the most EXPENSIVE health care system in the world.
I think my reaction to the US healthcare debate is similarly puzzlement as to why they dont understand they have an incredibly expensive system which doesn't deliver. Although they do say that most americans are not interested in anything which happens outside the US, so I suppose they would not realise how bad US healthcare is. And who is going to tell them?

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...Alberta is our most right wing province these days and their politicians have made their health care less public and more private...
QUOTE]

Can you be more specific than this? How have our politicians made our system more private? We pay no premiums for basic coverage here either, and $41 monthly for extended single coverage.

Last edited: