for those who hit the gym

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Anyone who's serious about his work-out should welcome some constructive feedback on his routines. But unless you're in much better shape than the guy you're critiquing, don't expect a positive response, especially if he's in "the zone".

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, maybe women are different, but I welcome suggestions especially from others who obviously are successful with their regimen - provided they're close to my age!!! I don't want a young twenty-something talking about what I should do about my "wings."

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I don't want a young twenty-something talking about what I should do about my "wings."

Ah, wings.
Love wings.
I'd take advice on them ... and on traps.

As for the general question, it would really depend on how the advice were offered.
If I were given a chance to indicate, at the outset, that no, I didn't really want advice ... then I would probably cheerfully enough hear it.
If it were a pompous ass giving me the benefit of his omniscience ... then not so much.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It would depend on who it was coming from, how it was phrased and my mood at the time.

If it's one of the trainers or a regular at the gym, I'd probably listen, but if it's some know-all who's only been going for three weeks and has read about it in a fitness magazine, I'd probably tell him to keep his advice to himself.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
guys, anyone who is an active gym goer, would you take offense if someone offer you a new working out technique or a new way to exercise even if you feel content with your current work out regiment?

I'm always up for new training advice and actually do share ideas with a few buds about tweaking sets, form, etc. That said, I typically don't see strangers sharing advice in my gym--its usually guys that see each other every day (even if they do not work out together).

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think justified comments about safety are always in order. Someone once showed me a safer way to get dumbbells up above my head for the first lift when doing overhead presses (use your knees; I had been swinging them up). I was grateful for that. But if someone wanted to tell me how to "improve" my routine or my form, I would wonder why he considered it his business. Even if the advice is sound, I don't consider it anybody's business to give unsolicited instruction to another gym user.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
But if someone wanted to tell me how to "improve" my routine or my form, I would wonder why he considered it his business. Even if the advice is sound, I don't consider it anybody's business to give unsolicited instruction to another gym user.
Exactly.

Someone coming up and proffering instruction apropos of nothing is just socially awkward in almost any setting.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I wouldn't be offended, i would just assume he was using it as a way of hitting on me

does that make me a narcissist?