joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Lex said:
All the Lists.

50 Most Powerful List

Oprah is number 8, which ain't that bad.

Bronx, I know we think she should be number 1--but remember--this list is just business!

10 Highest Paid

Is it surprising that only 12% are non-white? There's still a HUGE culture of opression present in the American business world. I do find it surprising, in a very good way, that the number one position is an Indian woman! Way to go Indra!!

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Nice.:smile:

But why the 10 highest paid have short hair cuts...well, for sure if by any chances I get there someday, I want to keep my hair in a sexy lenght plus fresh look...I would hope sucess would keep me glowing and glowing.

For sure profissional people must look profissional but what excuses to look so tired, man and woman?

stud_hunter

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
joyboytoy79 said:
Is it surprising that only 12% are non-white? There's still a HUGE culture of opression present in the American business world. I do find it surprising, in a very good way, that the number one position is an Indian woman! Way to go Indra!!

For sure there is a culture of oppression. But let's not put all the fault on the businesses. It's not their fault if relatively few minority candidates are qualified. I've just started attending business school at night and the classes are 90% white, and I live in an area with lots of minorities.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
stud_hunter said:
For sure there is a culture of oppression. But let's not put all the fault on the businesses. It's not their fault if relatively few minority candidates are qualified. I've just started attending business school at night and the classes are 90% white, and I live in an area with lots of minorities.
There are many qualified minorities who don't get recognized or promoted, but we have had that discussion ad nauseum. I actually think the minority percetages of this list is about on target at 12%.

Let's stick to women (since this thread is about Women).

What is really interesting is the disporportional under-representation of women in higher levels of businesses. If women are about 50% of the population, and about 40-60% of the workforce (on average, depending upon field), why do women comprise less that 20% (if that) of higer level corporate positions?

(these stats were not found in a journal. i am running off memory, but you get my drift)

stud_hunter

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lex said:
What is really interesting is the disporportional under-representation of women in higher levels of businesses. If women are about 50% of the population, and about 40-60% of the workforce (on average, depending upon field), why do women comprise less that 20% (if that) of higer level corporate positions?

My feeling is there are 3 ends to it. One, many women don't feel naturally drawn to the cut-throat testosterone-driven world of business. Two, many companies don't feel women are cut out for this world and they don't get promoted. Three, our corporate values regarding childcare are neanderthal. Companies don't like employees taking time off to care for their newborns, so women get the shaft.
But you know, I'm not sure there's more employment discrimination against women overall. There's a bias against men in professions like elementary school teaching, social work, and any other field where someone needs to be "nurturing." It just happens to be that the fields that discriminate against women are the high-paying ones.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
stud_hunter said:
My feeling is there are 3 ends to it. One, many women don't feel naturally drawn to the cut-throat testosterone-driven world of business. Two, many companies don't feel women are cut out for this world and they don't get promoted. Three, our corporate values regarding childcare are neanderthal. Companies don't like employees taking time off to care for their newborns, so women get the shaft.
But you know, I'm not sure there's more employment discrimination against women overall. There's a bias against men in professions like elementary school teaching, social work, and any other field where someone needs to be "nurturing." It just happens to be that the fields that discriminate against women are the high-paying ones.

No offense intended, but everyone can claim discrimination at one point or another in their careers. There is such a big cross section of society that is above or below even my payscale, compensation level or any other status in life. There are women of every race that if you paid me like those women I wouldn't complain one bit. There is also the affirmative action programs that reverse discriminate. There's what you can control and that which is beyond your control. We each do the best we can, what we're willing to do and what others allow us to do across the board. Everyone gets to play the game and even in some instances simply excluded from the game. It's what you can actually do, what you can delegate and even the office politics you play. There is a glass ceiling for everyone. We make the best of what comes as an opportunity and ride the the crests and troughs of each wave.