Forbes Analysis of Republican "Pledge": "Political Straddle"

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
A level headed Forbes.com piece looks at the Republican so-called "pledge" to American with some interesting tidbits:

Analysis: Republicans' Pledge courts independents - Forbes.com

...political straddle"...long on poll tested goals, short on ...specifics...
..."intended to cover everything under the sun," said Republican Boehner...
...Reagan sought much the same...his tax cuts passed...deficits balooned for decades....
[Now] his conservatives heirs must find trillions in savings from Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid...on [which] the manifesto is manifestly reticent...
"Asked why the "pledge" ommitted more specifics on benifit programs Boehner said, "...I don't have all the solutions."

(no shit, Sherlock) :rolleyes:

"With the exception of a call to replace and repeal health care, items that showed mixed polling results [less support among independents] generally were omitted [from the "pledge"].
...the pledge has no teeth...
...elements of the Pledge to America are taken from the playbook of traditional conservatives..."

(i.e. more smoke n' mirrors...)

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
^Yes, I know. The purpose my thread was to highlight what forbes.com (a BUSINESS publication) had to say about it.

Speaking of which, here's another: "Is the GOP's 'Pledge to America' Good for Business?"

http://blogs.forbes.com/brianwingfi...-good-for-business/?partner=relatedstoriesbox

excerpt:

"The GOP wants to end for good all “job-killing tax hikes” by making permanent the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, schedule to expire at the end of the year. Businesses and individuals undoubtedly would love a permanent extension of the Bush tax cuts. The problem is that doing so could add about $4 trillion to the U.S. federal budget deficit over the next decade"

Last edited: