Ford stops gay market ads

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Bariton, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Bariton

Bariton New Member

Albums:
    Commercialcloset - dec 5 2005

"Ford Motor Co. Confirms Jaguar, Land Rover Gay Market Ads Stopped in Unprecedented Reversal Seemingly giving antigay American Family Association a victory, which had threatened a boycott of Ford last summer over its gay-friendly ads in the U.S., Europe and Australia, Ford spokesman Mike Moran confirmed to Advocate.com that the company will reverse the four-year-old advertising efforts behind its Jaguar and Land Rover brands in American gay publications but insisted it was strictly "business" to do so."

commercialcloset.org (link might be outdated)

2. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

American car makers have dug their own graves what with producing grossly inferior quality vehicles for so many years.
    This latest move should alienate a demographic well known for having more expendable income(a greater percentage of gay people can afford to buy a new car) than the radical right wing religious nuts that Ford is trying to appease.
    For many many years I bought American made cars until I got fed up with the poor quality of workmanship. My latest car is a Honda Accord, built in Japan; best car I have ever owned.:)

3. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Yep. They think there are "more" of "them" buying Fords than there are of "us." And to think, we have 65K worth of these assholes products parked in our garage at this very moment. I just counted up and just since 1988 "me and mine" have bought a total of 13 Ford cars and trucks. I want my loyalty back.

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Ha, I'm glad both the Lincoln Town cars I bought were used, and I can hardly call advertising a reason I drive a Ford product now- it's a '78 Thunderbird. They don't want fag money? I hope all the homos with two men's incomes and no children to support take their business elsewhere. See how many guys working at Snappy Lube supporting their obligatory 12 kids and wife who won't work buy Navigators.

5. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    henry ford would just have phoned berlin and asked hitler to send a few zeppelins over to bomb the AFA to smithereens.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

That reminds me of this joke I heard once. How do you turn a ne'er do well pampered fuck from the most impotent man ever to occupy the White House into a war hero? Well, first, you get his daddy to start a war with the aide of his longtime friends....idiot son becomes instant hero. I forgot the punchline.

7. Shelby

Gold Member

and the other joke about the cowboy actor President (idiot to the liberal elite) who dared defy public opinion to call out a bully

8. KinkGuy

Gold Member

We haven't lived the punch line yet. Somehow though, I don't think we're going to be laughing.

9. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, but Reagan and bush are not even of the same species. bush would love to have people make that connection, but it simply isn't there. You like to think of me as being a party loyalist, even though I keep telling you it's not the case.

10. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

Is there any reason to think that gays buy very many domestic cars anyway?

Whether it was because of pressure from right-wingers or not, it's not unrealistic to believe it was still a business decision. The "gay market" -- at least defined by the gay media -- is not especially large compared to the consumer market as a whole, so it's possible that it just wasn't worth a separate advertising campaign. And I'm not sure whether a gay person would respond to an ad based on their lifestyle anyway.

But I am sure that there are many dumber things that Ford has been doing than this.

11. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think the fact that some ad agency sold Ford on this narrow focus advertising in the first place shows two things.

That the advertiser's special skill really is selling a service their client (Ford) doesn't really need.

How desperate some marketing VP at Ford must have been to be seen to be doing something innovative to increase sales, and that there was no real benefit realized, hence no commitment.

12. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Look around the parking lot of any popular gay bar on a weekend night and you'll reach the conclusion that yeah ... we buy a shitload of domestic vehicles.

13. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    i buy 21 cars a week. although that's mainly because megatron is hiding out in my basement and giant decepticons gotta eat as well, ya know.

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yes yes, but the question burning in everyone's minds is "Are they gay?????"

15. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

if it's a Pepto-Bismol pink Ford F10 goin' down the hatch, then nuts and bolts comin' out in a number two, i say that decepticon has some gender identity issues he's trying to stomach...

/got nothin'
    //why is this a thread again?

Draft saved Draft deleted