Foreign accents - vexing and befuddling

QwentyJ1987

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ladies,

Something perplexes me.

I have recieved feck all attention from lasses in Britain for most of my life (begin with self - depreciative opening....check). It's not something I'm remotely perturbed by - I've still got the rest of my life to live (cross fingers and touchwood) at the age of 21.

However, I'm studying abroad this year in a foreign country and I met a really nice girl the other day who is a Greco-American: Greek, but brought up in America. I exchanged pleasantries with her and after about 5 seconds she freaked out over my Britishness, which I found rather charming yet aslo veey intriguing at the same time.

So the rest of the night consisted of me saying things like 'cucumber' and 'trolley'.

I'm nothing special really, just an average looking chap. I have an RP accent if that pencils anything else into the equation. Anyways, my sob story aside - why does a foreign accent seem to make a man more interesting/attractive/mysterious/approachable (delete where applicable)? Why on god's green earth do many American women find the British accent so exciting? What's the exact reasoning behind this?

Oh yeah, if this topic has been done to death before recently, then I apologise - I checked using search and I couldn't find much on this issue.

Cheers. :redface:

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm an American, born and raised. I play World of Warcraft on the European servers, and thanks to that, I've spoken via Ventrilo to Irish, Scottish, English, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Greek, Dutch and French people. (And probably more that I can't recall.) I have yet to hear an accent I didn't thorougly enjoy. I'm not sure why I'm drawn to foreign accents so much, but I am. Especially the English and Scandinavian ones. I'm sure that part of it is just because it's different. But speaking for the English accent specifically, I love it because it seems like the "pure" version of "American". I feel like we took the English accent and butchered it. :tongue: It's sweet and soft and flows well and you sound eloquent and beautiful even if you're angry and cussing up a storm. I love it! lol. I know that wasn't a super-informative response, but I hope it at least helps a little bit. :tongue:

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
well as for me im british and i find a person that little bit more appealing if they have an accent, especially american :p i dont really know what it is i think it just adds something and some how make the person more approachable as there is something to talk about that could keep you talking for hours about it (where you from? why did you move? what its like being here? whats different? etc

QwentyJ1987

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm an American, born and raised. I play World of Warcraft on the European servers, and thanks to that, I've spoken via Ventrilo to Irish, Scottish, English, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Greek, Dutch and French people. (And probably more that I can't recall.) I have yet to hear an accent I didn't thorougly enjoy. I'm not sure why I'm drawn to foreign accents so much, but I am. Especially the English and Scandinavian ones. I'm sure that part of it is just because it's different. But speaking for the English accent specifically, I love it because it seems like the "pure" version of "American". I feel like we took the English accent and butchered it. :tongue: It's sweet and soft and flows well and you sound eloquent and beautiful even if you're angry and cussing up a storm. I love it! lol. I know that wasn't a super-informative response, but I hope it at least helps a little bit. :tongue:

The funny thing is, I'm Scottish, yet I have a completely English accent!! :eek:

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The funny thing is, I'm Scottish, yet I have a completely English accent!! :eek:

I played WoW with a guy like that. :tongue: He was born in Scotland, all his family is Scottish, but he's lived in England so long that his accent is mostly English. He gets a bit "Scottish" when intoxicated, though. :wink:

QuiteOne

Sexy Member
Media
Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I get tired of accents. I'm an American but haven't lived in the US for about 5 years. I've been traveling around a lot and I've grown tired of constantly straining to make sure I'm understanding people correctly. When I go back to the States it's a treat because I can relax and listen to people without trying.

ScorpioSlut

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm not really quite sure what it is but I love a good accent....especially British and Australian ones. However, pretty much any accent does it for me. I think a lot of the reasons already stated are pretty much the majority of the reasons I like them. Plus for me it's rather a turn-on and I just find myself naturally drifting towards people with an accent.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had an exGF that love that. Especially the male British accent.

Funny, I love the French Accent on a women. But on a guy, its annoying to me.

boerkie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
i am always told how much people enjoy my accent. the south sfrican afrikaans/english mix with a hint of americanizing after 21 years here.

from my side however, i get weak in the knees when a southerner start to speak!! men and women!!
and folks from the midwest!! WOWZA!! i can just sit and listen, all night long!!
matter of fact, when i was in Nawlins, i said that to my friends from there!:"y'all just talk while i play with myself over here!!"

it is so erotic!!

i have always admired american english and the various dialects there are here in america.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm with Boerkie, there is something about certain southern accents that will make me just about slide off my chair. :redface::wink: TruckerTexman is obviously, from Texas but has spent the last dozen years in Georgia. The combination of the two is sometimes difficult for my Jersey girl ears to understand; but it's always . . .shall we say, stimulating. :flirt:

Not sure if Hickboy is pure South Carolinian or not; but he too has one of those smooth as moleasses and sweeter than sugar cane voices. Think Rhett Butler but more suave. :wink:

11ingoliath is pure Georgia boy, but sounds exactly like Matthew Mc Conaughey, who is a Texan. Then again he was a tad inebriated when I spoke to him.:tongue:

*SNIP* But speaking for the English accent specifically, I love it because it seems like the "pure" version of "American". I feel like we took the English accent and butchered it. :tongue: It's sweet and soft and flows well and you sound eloquent and beautiful even if you're angry and cussing up a storm. I love it! lol. I know that wasn't a super-informative response, but I hope it at least helps a little bit. :tongue:
I agree, the English accent isn't what I would call sexy; but there is something about it that makes me want to say "here, read this phone book to me please." :biggrin1::tongue:

I guess that's why Indian and Chinese men in the USandA get all the bitches.
:261:
LOL NOT! Those have to be two of the more unattractive accents I've heard. :lmao:

A lot of people say German is ugly sounding because it's too guttural; but there are many types of German accents. I find the Swiss-German accent or perhaps it's a dialect :confused: to be rather pleasant acoustically.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Not sure if Hickboy is pure South Carolinian or not; but he too has one of those smooth as moleasses and sweeter than sugar cane voices. Think Rhett Butler but more suave. :wink:

Hick is Charleston, that's not the same as the rest of SC, the area has it's own accent. Also, Hick is one of those considerate individuals who modifies the way he speaks depending on his audience. He probably toned down the Charleston quite a bit to make sure your Yankee ears could keep up. :wink:

ScorpioSlut

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Having lived in either GA or TN my entire life I have seen all shades of southern accents. In my experience where a person is from is not the sole factor in being able to understand the person. Most often it is the effort that person makes to be understood. It also doesn't help that some peoples' southern accents are much more difficult to understand than others because they are to be quite honest much more harsh. The effort to be understood however is a global one and having been lucky enough to travel to several different places globally that in my opinion is the most important factor.

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have a strong southern accent when I speak.

It seems to attract eastern European, African, and South American girls the most... all A ok by me!! :biggrin1:

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Possession of an english accent is great when travelling the US :redface:

There are various accents that "do it" for me too - Irish but Eire, not most of Ulster - particularly harsh Belfast; Welsh valleys good, Cardiff harsh but also not the north where it goes a bit "scouse"; Scots but no' full-on Glasgae; Geordie; French and Russian.

Its_a_me_me

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
What aboot us Canadians eh? No one finds us sexy? :wink:

Well, maybe not female Canadians, but...;) They're up there with Southern accents. Makes my job answering phone calls a blast.

And I remember reading in some sort of Cosmo-esque magazine about why women get off on accents. Something about it's the job of the male to screw and screw often to make little babies, and the woman to make sure that the gene pool is diversified.

Last edited: