Foreskin Care

oldredneck1

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Read an interesting article about care of the foreskin:

An intact penis is self-cleaning just like a vagina, eyeball or nose/sinus. It is quite fitting; you may have to clean the 'outside', but you don't need to wash out the 'inside'. And just like an eyeball, you may wash the 'outside' (outer eyelid), but you don't wash the 'inside' (inner eyelid or eyeball). The foreskin is amazingly similar to the eyelid in that it is two-sided skin, with one side serving a protective function, and the other side serving a moisturizing functions, and both sides serving important sensory functions (there are more functions). The eyelid and the foreskin are the two most elastic pieces of skin on the male body. All of these examples involve areas where there is an inner mucous membrane, and an outer protective (but still sensitive) area. Even the mouth (cheek and lips) qualify; the cheeks and lips are two-sided skin, with a sensitive outer layer and an extremely sensitive inner skin also featuring a mucous membrane.

A boy should certainly not be taught to "use soap" (he'll learn not to do that anyway!), "use a washcloth 'in there'" (he instinctively won't), or anything of the like. Overzealous cleaning disrupts the natural bacterial flora balance and immune system, identical to a woman's vagina. Both women & men produce smegma--in fact, women produce much more of it. It is the same exact stuff; even the smells are identical. Why fear it with men and embrace it with women? Women do not require "internal" washing, and neither do men. Female & (intact) male genital parts are almost exactly identical, and both function much better when uncut! Even though later in life, the foreskin will retract, and urine will get inside the foreskin, this is not a problem for boys/men any more than it is for girls/women (actually, it is far less of a problem than with girls), as mother nature has a plan for boys, too (a better one, arguably).

Smegma is not dirt. It is necessary, healthy, and part of the immune system and natural septic system of the body, just as it is with women. Smegma is produced by not just produced by the inner foreskin, but by the vagina, the anus, and sometimes other parts of the body as a function of healthy sebaceous activity.

In general, the foreskin requires minimal care. The following suggestions will help maintain good hygiene. Only the outside of the foreskin needs to be cleaned with soap.

During retraction, the exposed part of the glans should be cleansed with water. Wipe away any whitish material (smegma) that you find there. Smegma is simply the accumulation of dead skin cells that are normally shed from the glans and lining of the foreskin throughout life. Do not use soap under the foreskin. Leaving soapy water under the foreskin can cause irritation and swelling. After cleansing with plain water, always pull the foreskin forward to its normal position.

B_josiah852

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Well I have used soap and water all my life. Foreskin is happy I did. Found out you do have to rinse real well. The best way to tell if you have rinsed it off enough is if your friends don't taste any soap. I will soap and rinse mine no matter what any article says. All those that have sucked and are sucking mine prefer and prefered it that way.

yhtang

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well I have used soap and water all my life. Foreskin is happy I did. Found out you do have to rinse real well. The best way to tell if you have rinsed it off enough is if your friends don't taste any soap. I will soap and rinse mine no matter what any article says. All those that have sucked and are sucking mine prefer and prefered it that way.

Ditto here.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Yeah, but it causes some guys problems and can lead to adult circumcisions. Soaps should not be used on mucosal tissues inside body orifices, especially on children, especially harsh soaps.

carlton10

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Since I was a teenager with some acne problems, I have always used Phisoderm which is PH balanced both on my face and cock and cleaning the foreskin- Its not as harsh as soap and I have never had any problems

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
..., I have always used Phisoderm which is PH balanced both on my face and cock and cleaning the foreskin- Its not as harsh as soap and I have never had any problems.
Skin is normally slightly acidic and thus soap messes up the skin's pH. The key part of soap's harshness is its alkalinity and thus Phisoderm is a good alternative to soap. Another pH-balanced cleanser is Cetaphil. My alternative is no soap ... inside that is. There's little or no sebum excreted by soft mucosa and thus soap really isn't needed. Just a good rinse with a little rubbing with my fingers is all that I do.

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Read an interesting article about care of the foreskin:

An intact penis is self-cleaning just like a vagina, eyeball or nose/sinus.

Where did you find this?
The eyelid and the foreskin are the two most elastic pieces of skin on the male body.
Sir Archibald McIndoe (or perhaps it was Sir Harold Gillies - both were pioneering plastic surgeons) used to curse when he found that airmen with burnt faces (after literally "going down in flames") had been circumcised, because he used their foreskins - if they still had them - to fashion new eyelids for them.

He (whichever he was) pioneered the technique of "walking" tissue to the right place in the body by attaching it to an arm (say) before detaching it from its home. One shudders to think of the picture these guys presented in the intermediate stages.

carlton10 said:
I have always used Phisoderm
Ah, Phisoderm and Phisohex - takes me back to my acne days.

Bootyman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Same here, I have to say...

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The reason these things come up is because in the United States, people have this odd notion that the foreskin is somehow dirtier than the rest of the body and disease riddled. I hear it all the time.

I'm glad to hear you are cleaning your penis like you do the rest of your body. I just wouldn't get a scrub brush and harsh soap down there to get rid of "odors" or what have you, know what I mean? Like the vagina, the foreskin is delicate and has a natural odor.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I totally agree with you. Same applies to me.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Leaving soapy water under the foreskin can cause irritation and swelling. After cleansing with plain water, always pull the foreskin forward to its normal position.
I really do wish you could make up your mind. First you tell me to not wash at all and then you say to just use plain water and not leave soapy water under neath.

Maybe I should leave the lint in the bellybutton too and not wash under my arms.