Forty Hours Without Forty Winks

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Thoraxis_Biggulp, Jul 25, 2008.

1. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Thanks to some unfortunate and inevitable scheduling coincidences, I was awake (and active) from 2 PM on Tuesday until 6 AM on Thursday. (Aside from almost passing out on the toilet.) By late Wednesday evening, two cups of coffee, 4 B-12 pills, a liter of Dr. Pepper and carb-heavy foods were only keeping me stable.
    What's weird though, is that despite it all and even after I stopped the caffeine intake (around midnight), I didn't start to feel tired until right when I got home at the end of the night. Then it hit me all at once. It was like my body was faking energy out of necessity.

2. naughty

Gold Member

THe word is adrenalin.

3. transformer_99

Gold Member

There's a lot of that going around in this economy right now. As news gets worse of layoffs, profits being down and inflation, that means the one's that keep their jobs have to work even harder, longer, faster for the same miserable paycheck that's never going to cut it. Funny, they're talking troop reductions in Iraq, so these people can either go to Afghanistan (shifting the war front as a distraction) or come home to this economy. I thought after the 1st Gulf War was bad, this is going to be worse, even far worse than 2001.. Even then we saw gasoline go up $ 1 or more when it was around $ 1.40-1.50/gallon. Well, coincidentally it went up here from roughly $ 3 to $ 4+/gallon. Have a sick feeling in my gut that this is going to be the trend going forward. Empty promises of the American dream.

Stapled, don't lose any sleep over a job, they certainly won't lose any sleep over what you don't have and chances are may never get.

4. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Eh, only 24 hours of it was spent working, and not all at once. I couldn't afford to take the time off, even though I would've liked to.
    The time in between was because of appointments and meetings, ones that I couldn't afford to rearrange. By the time it was all said and done, I was too hungry to sleep right away. By the time I was done eating, I had less than 3 hours until I had to leave for work. I had just passed the 24-hour mark and the initial adrenaline was wearing off. I knew that even with the alarm blaring, I would've slept until halfway into my shift. Not a good thing at any time, but especially when you're a temp. So I just toughed it out.
    Not a healthy thing to do, I know. But it definitely speaks volumes about the economy, as you pointed out, that it was necessary just to maintain financial stability... especially when stable is still pretty crappy. Most of the people that knew what happened weren't at all surprised or even taken aback by the fact that I had to do it, just that I was able to, especially with 12 of the final 13 hours being spent on my feet at work.

5. Mr. Bungle

Gold Member

Albums:
    wow - when I just logged on, I was thinking about posting a thread about almost the very same thing... I've been awake for a dangerously long period of time too, although it hasn't been quite as long as you. I'm just worried about some personal stuff and sleep hasn't been quite easy for me.

6. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

That kind of insomnia is that much worse, I think. You don't have any external reason to be awake, no appointments, unfortunate coincidences, emergencies or scheduling conflicts... You just can't sleep. There's no reason you need to be awake. I've been there, it's frustrating. I definitely empathize with you. People tell you "you should get some sleep" as though that's going to fix it, and you weren't aware that you should get an hour or two of the stuff every couple of days.

7. Mr. Bungle

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know man - thanks for the good word. You're absolutely right. It's a weird feeling. It's happened to me in the past a couple times; thankfully it doesn't typically last long though. I just need to get back to my normal sleep pattern... but in order to do that, the first thing I need to do is... SLEEP... arrghh...

8. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Aha, yeh gotta get sleep to regulate your sleep schedule.
    Normal for my sleep schedule has gotten strange. It's pushing 7 AM, but it's normal for me to still be up now, since I get off work at 5 AM.

9. transformer_99

Gold Member

I definitely feel for you on the temporary assignment circuit, they're going back to that now ! 1/2 of what the job pays you give to a company you work temporary assignments for, no benefits, they keep you worse than if you were in Communist China. I did that back in the early 90's. Won't ever do it again. Really did it twice in my lifetime. First out of college and back during the Bush-Clinton shift change. I bought into it (just starting out and no work experience thing, or didn't have the right degree in the area, no professional certifications, the usual tools for a corporate low ball), others put me thru it. It's really about making you jump thru a hoop, a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, that doesn't exist and even if it does, it's in Fort Knox and you'll never have the mechanism by which to earn it. I wonder how much really has been accomplished in this a world by others that were grossly short/deficient in the wish list of job requirements as a write-up?

Like this one:

Job Description :
    Assess current reporting and technology in current state
    Make recommendations for improvements to include report design and technical applications
    Manage all reporting projects in professional and efficient manner
    Develop and document processes to support report request, design/development and delivery
    Support client development and project delivery by estimating project needs
    Develop more automated and streamlined reports to prevent continual ad hoc report requests
    Document all code to support reporting

Required Skills:
    Experience with SQL, PL/SQL programming, UNIX, or SAS
    Proven experience with SQL or PL/SQL programming and coding
    3-5 years experience in data management and reporting
    Strong data querying and analytical capabilities
    Advanced knowledge with Excel to include macros design and complex report development
    Ability to accept responsibility and carry-through on projects assigned
    Experience with reporting tool applications such as Crystal, Cognos, Business Objects a plus
    Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience req

Desirable Skills:
    Data Analysis and Reporting experience
    People soft CRM experience
    Experience with PeopleSoft EPM
    Advanced knowledge in Excel required: Creating formulas, writing macros, ability to design complex report

This one looks like a hands-on Director's job as a consultant. 6 months, it's in California, who's going to go from the East coast for 6 months ? They can't find anyone in California that wants or is capable of doing this one ? Somewhere over the rainbow, in a land far far away, there's this person that can do it all ?

Incredible how the MBA mentality breeds apathy and then wonders why (and here's my baseball analogy) nobody is enthusiastic about swinging at a 3rd strike when the pitch is ball 4.. Even worse, they are inflating their prices and missing their profitability, because they want to bring someone from the East coast out to California to work for 6 months ?

#9 transformer_99, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  10. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

They were advertising that specifically targeted in the east coast, or was it just a nationwide posting? Either way, yeh you'd think they could find somebody in California who can do all that, or atleast offer a significantly longer contract period for the trouble of relocating.
    Not sure what you mean by "the MBA mentality breeds apathy" though. But I do have a headache, so it's probably simpler than I'm thinking.

What sucks is the agency is ripping me off. The company told me I would be getting $10/hr, but the agency is cutting me 9. Every time I've seen my department head though, I've been in a hurry. So I haven't had the chance to bring it up with him. The agency won't do anything about it if I talk to them, because they're notorious for it. Besides, losing one employee will hurt me worse than it'll hurt them. Unfortunately, they're the best agency in town otherwise. The most assignments in the most fields, the most long-term and temp-to-hire contract, etc.

11. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Also, they do offer a benefits package, but well.... how can I put this politely... it suh-uh-huh-ucks.
    I'm holding out to get hired on at the company, cut them out altogether. They offer Blue Cross Blue Shield, and I say shit yeh to that. I'll also get 4 free hours pay every week, on top of the increased hourly wage.

12. transformer_99

Gold Member

I went thru agencies before, and as an accountant, I got to see my invoice in the accounts payable every couple of weeks when the invoices came. It's safe to say and this was late 80's and 90's. What they're paying you is about 1/2 of what the contract is between the agency and client company. It's gotta be more than that now simply because of inflation. Company's maintain a balance of temp and perm for their needs. A temp employee is always hungrier than the FT employee. Agencies also watch benefits, they'll cut the assignment short so that you never get them according to the game they've rigged. The company likes temps, they can cut you loose without unemployment benefits. They wind up pricing temps at what they'd pay for a FT employee often times, but you never see FMV for your services, education and work skills. Temping is good to get experience too, but there's a point, where the client won't take you, because, you'll go elsewhere and it may be their competition.

Several years ago, I saw the head hunter trade firsthand from getting a job thru one. In accounting, the client and agency negotiated around what my figure to work was. The client offered that less the fee the agency received. Just to give you a hypothetical, I tell the agency I'll work a certain job posting for $ 55K/year, well the client knows what the fee is for the agency. They come in and offer what I was after less that fee and some low ball fudge factor built in. If the candidate accepts, you can see that the new employee wound up paying the agency's fee. I felt that I was had after seeing the invoice (stupid of the employer/client to ever let that get seen by who they hired, because the agency won't ever let it be seen or known to you.), like the agency and the client colluded on the back end to low ball. They knew the numbers and even what they were getting. In that case I have to admit I got played from both sides. The agency is the agent for the client, know that the job they have is a business relationship that means more to both of them than it matters that you even have a job. Temps will come and go, but the client and agency relationship, for either to be successful, that has to be a happy marriage.

13. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Yeh, I've known for some time that there was a pretty heavy fee. I don't know that it's quite half the money that the client is paying to the agency, in this case, but I know temps typically cost more than employees, hour-by-hour. I make close to what the employee starting pay is (between 10 and 11 per hour), but they cut out insurance, vacation, sick leave, 401K, the four free hours, etc to make up the difference in accounting.
    Also, some of the companies I've worked for have gone so far as to go behind the agency's back when they refused to let them hire somebody full time, even though the temp and the client wanted it. It's rare, but I've seen it happen.

14. transformer_99

Gold Member

That's risky business practice for each to go behind the other's back. The contracts are written between the client & agency that you are their commodity. Buying out of contracts is not unheard of, but rare from my dealings and there were times a temp job is all I could get in a community. Don't buy that $ 10-11 is what the FT employee would get. That's what they are offering in hopes to save themselves the fee. Employers are there to get as much as they can for as little as possible. $ 1-2 more per hour works out to $ 2080-4160 more each year gross, but it's really a favorable rate for an employer. They can't get away with paying an agency that and they sure won't pay their buddy or relatives that either.

15. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Thats a long time to go without sleep.

16. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Actually the people I've talked to there who started as temps and got hired on told me that. Been that way at every temp-to-hire job I've been to, where FT makes about a dollar or two per hour more than the temps. And they have no reason to lie about it.
    When the agency refuses to cooperate with the client and can't give a legitimate reason not to let them promote the temp to FT, they have to go behind their back if they want out of the extra fees and paperwork every week. And this agency has become increasingly shady over the years.

17. transformer_99

Gold Member

Stapled, when you talked with these people, did they show you their final pay stub from the agency ? Did they produce an invoice from the agency that was remitted to the client/employer for that time period and paycheck ? Did they produce a copy of the check and reconciliation of the check to the agency from the client. That is the only way you would know for certain who lied or not. I'm telling you that the pay stub I used to get was for $ 10/hour gross, I saw the agency invoice indicating $ 18/hour gross. I cut the check for my own contract while working at that client/company, even performed bank account reconciliations to see that the agency accepted payment at that rate. And there was an $ 8/hour gross difference between what the agency paid me and what the client remitted as payment. That tells me that if the agency doesn't provide benefits to me as an employee, there are costs, fees and profit margin built into the rate. I hope you can understand I'm not challenging you over the veracity of this, I hope what I relay will help you get better off in life. An agency shorting you $ 1/hour needs to be straightened out, because the client and agency would go that distance to ensure they are paid for it. I think you should and for you to fix an oversight/error whether it was intentional or not means $ 40 more a week for you. Unfortunate you feel that bringing this discrepancy up might influence or result in no job. All I'm saying is that the client and agency are conducting business for a certain rate, you and the agency are conducting business for a different rate. If the agreements are there, you are entitled to receive that extra $ 1/hour.

#17 transformer_99, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  18. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

I don't doubt that there's a significant difference between how much I get paid and the total money that the agency puts out. I'm just saying... even when I get bumped to FT, I won't be seeing all of that in actual wages. Most of it comes in the form of benefits. Well, unless every temp-to-FT employee I've talked to everywhere has been running a collaborative lie including faked pay stubs. (One of my friends wanted to show off how much money he made from working 7 9s one week.)
    But believe me, I know it needs to be straightened out. It's just that the opportunity rarely arises. Like I said, whenever I see my department head at the client facility, I'm in a hurry. He works during the day and I at night, so I only see him when I go in to pick up my paycheck. And so far, every Thursday, I've had something else going on that got in the way of stopping to talk to him about it. I'm not worried at all about losing my job over it. My only worry is that it'll come up fruitless, but it still doesn't hurt to try.

19. transformer_99

Gold Member

Try an email or a voice message for getting your paycheck straightened out. The longer you wait, you wind up looking like you don't care and don't even bother to check your own pay stubs. 3 things I look for, insurance deductions, payscale amounts and PTO (vacation hours) benefits.

Draft saved Draft deleted