Found a new healthy delicious snack

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hummus. I bought some earlier this week and then checked online for recipes. The important ingredient is Tahini which is sesame paste (like peanut butter made from sesame seeds) It's expensive, $6.50 for 15 ounces. It also separates in the can, all the oil comes to the top and the heavy paste is at the bottom. Anyway you only need a tablespoon or two per can of Garbanzo/Chick peas. I tried it on a cracker, but I really love it with vegetables. Especially carrots and cucumbers. Now I can enjoy the veggies that I usually didn't enjoy before.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love the Trader Joe's garlic hummus and put it on whole wheat pita. Sometimes I add falafel or lettuce and tomato to make a healthy sandwich.

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Last edited:
Media
Chopped eggplant, red bell pepper, red onion, minced garlic. Toss in a bit of olive oil, enough to coat the ingrediant and salt to taste. Spread out on a cookie sheet and place in an preheated oven @ 425 until the eggplant begins to brown a bit.

Take the ingredients out, let cool for a few. Place in a food processor, add some Tahini and blend until slightly smooth. (I love it a bit on the lumpy side, like my men.)

This is delicious with a sesame cracker. I cannot consume Milk at all so I use this as a healthy milk-free snack.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yeah, humus rocks. Oh Yeah's recipe sounds quite Turkish. You guys would love Piyaz. It's a salad made from white beans, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, parsley, onion and a bit of garlic. The ingredients of put in individual bowls, and covered with tahini, vinigar and light oil. A squeeze of lemon, some bread and it's lunch!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Chopped eggplant, red bell pepper, red onion, minced garlic. Toss in a bit of olive oil, enough to coat the ingrediant and salt to taste. Spread out on a cookie sheet and place in an preheated oven @ 425 until the eggplant begins to brown a bit.

Take the ingredients out, let cool for a few. Place in a food processor, add some Tahini and blend until slightly smooth. (I love it a bit on the lumpy side, like my men.)

This is delicious with a sesame cracker. I cannot consume Milk at all so I use this as a healthy milk-free snack.

Sounds like Baba Ghanoush, which I am not familiar with and have never eaten.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

That's not hummus, babe. It's something slightly better. Have you tried it with flax crackers? Or in a pita, or on a salad?

That's exactly what it is. I think you'd like it if you like eggplant, and hummus.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That's not hummus, babe. It's something slightly better. Have you tried it with flax crackers? Or in a pita, or on a salad?

That's exactly what it is. I think you'd like it if you like eggplant, and hummus.

Yummy!!! Hummus and Baba Ghanoush, both!

I don't make my own though - although in a rare feat of cooking :eek: I did make a batch of Baba Ghanoush once though - took me about 3 hours or something because I'm so slow at everything :biggrin1: - that's why I buy the pre-packaged stuff instead of making it myself! But prepackaged hummus and Baba Ghanoush are good, too.

I like falafel too... Mmmmm! :smile:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Love eggplant, hate baba gahnoush. Go figure. :dunno:

Media

I know it's not, I just discovered it myself and thought I'd share is all. It is yummy though. :wink:

Will try the flax crackers etc.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know it's not, I just discovered it myself and thought I'd share is all. It is yummy though. :wink:

Will try the flax crackers etc.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'm going to try it soon. Here is how to make your own tahini sauce.
For the Tahini paste:
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup tepid water for the paste put all ingredients in food processor and blend.
Then to make the sauce,

1/2 cup tahini paste (above)
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped put everything in the food processor until it is smooth!
This keeps in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 10 days.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I love the Trader Joe's garlic hummus and put it on whole wheat pita. Sometimes I add falafel or lettuce and tomato to make a healthy sandwich.
Isn't Trader Joe's wonderful? They sell Ezekiel sprouted grain bread that makes a great hummus sandwich. Toast the bread, spread with hummus on both slices, add sliced onion, tomato, and lettuce and it's a super lunch.